2018/19 Game 29: Hamilton (H) March 9th 3pm kick-off

Yabba's Turd

29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Some folk are never happy unless they are moaning.

Only three pages reflecting  a great result with all the usual suspects missing. Yet a disreputal rag runs a story  about  a player going to Ibrox and some are all over it. Negligence by the club, unable to spot  super star in the under 20s, a youth  system  not fit for  purpose all being thrown at the club.

Why can't people just enjoy  it when things are going  well? 

• Like 1

Only three pages reflecting  a great result with all the usual suspects missing. Yet a disreputal rag runs a story  about  a player going to Ibrox and some are all over it. Negligence by the club, unable to spot  super star in the under 20s, a youth  system  not fit for  purpose all being thrown at the club.
Why can't people just enjoy  it when things are going  well? 
Because it is in their DNA to be moaning chunts.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Right subs today, Gorin on a yellow, game won, lets get Carl back onto the pitch after his recent injury, lets give Danny Johnson some game time and see if he can adapt to lone striker role, (looked like he can't), and when your style of play requires 2 wingers, make sure another winger also gets a good run out to keep him sharp and involved.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

To be honest I am not happy that Hastie could go to Ibrox. I'd rather he went anywhere else (except Celtic). I am talking about Main in particular here. Guy has been a major part of our recent run.

It's the usual. everyone else is performing well but Main's lack of goals is the focus. Loads of "what if" scenarios mentioned a few posts ago except what if Main scores a couple of goals. There is no one else in that team that can do play that role. We gave Danny Johnson time to make his case and he was a bit all over the place.

Of course it would be awesome if we had someone who played like Main and scored for fun. That guy is playing at a much higher level though.

I also know Main should have scored yesterday and fucked it up. I  would loved to have seen him burst the net.  He's playing a massive part in the team, works hard and I think/hope the goals will come.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I also know Main should have scored yesterday and fucked it up. I  would loved to have seen him burst the net.  He's playing a massive part in the team, works hard and I think/hope the goals will come.

I feel for Main tbh. He's alone up top and makes himself a real handful. He gets himself in some good positions but often Ariyibi, Hastie or Turnbull opt to shoot rather than put it on a plate for Main. Not a criticism of the mentioned guys as they are all well capable but maybe he's short of assists? 

• Like 1

Nice to keep the push for a top half finish alive and to put Accies in their place once more.

Enjoyable debate about the formation as it is and what we do moving forward.  I agree that Main appears the most suitable candidate to play the lone striker role as it stands, and whilst the goals aren't exactly flowing, he more often than not makes a contribution and has played his part in the recent good run. There's a debate to be had about when to best introduce James Scott more regularly into the side from the start. Perhaps when the battle for the top six is concluded one way or another that may be the point he starts more regularly.

That said I also agree with the view that we should already be looking to how we improve the personnel, not just Main, and look to tweak, adapt or have an alternative formation when teams find ways of countering what our players do individually and collectively.  We can't sit back and think we've hit upon a successful formation and style of play and we can toddle along merrily forever. Robinson made the point himself last week about how the formation and tactics he used last season became increasingly more redundant as more of the personnel that made it work moved on and other sides became more adept at countering it, so I'm pleased there is that awareness.

I would have liked to have seen Scott yesterday but I can understand why Robinson gave Johnson a shot. He was terrible though and we should be looking to get shot in the summer if possible.

All 11 starters played very well and McHugh was decent when he came on. Turnbull and Hastie's goals are the difference between a relegation battle and the top six and take the pressure off Main and Ayribi. I thought that Rodriguez had a great game yesterday, he looks much fitter than the first half of the the season.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, Ya Bezzer! said:

And what happens if Hastie leaves and perhaps someone comes in for Turnbull in the summer or he picks up an injury?

The answer is we have a team that doesn't score again.

We are doing well but there will always be areas that can be improved upon and I'm afraid Main is the one most would point out.  No one is saying he doesn't contribute but his scoring record is fairly pathetic and it's not like he's not had chances, he's had plenty chances and fluffed most of them. 

Maybe someone else can come in and contribute what Main provides and be a better source of goals?  I don't think it's beyond the bounds of imagination to believe so.

Before our good run we had plenty people on here saying our mediocre league position and poor performances were as good as we could do given the budget, small club, players etc.  That's turned out to be a lot of hooey.  You should always be trying to improve and the fact that we've picked up form doesn't mean we can sit back and relax. 

We should always be looking to identify where the team can be strengthened and aspiring to be better.

Yes I totally agree we should always be looking to strengthen but you are saying whatifs? at this stage and with the players we have curtis main is performing well. and davy turnbull is imo the best we have had for a long time so the chances of us replacing him with a signing are non existent as the cost would be out our range and the only hope of bringing in a player of his level when he leaves will be from the youth team if there is anyone near his abilities which id likely doubt. Whilst hastie has burst on scene i feel there are a lot of wingers around the scottish leagues who could replace him and i think even within ours and other youth teams in scotland there will be someone similar.  The doubts after we have took 22 points from 27 and 3 of those were away to celtic where lets also remember in 2nd half we actually done well.Anyway Im backing frear to replace hastie if he does decide to go which will not sit well with some but i like him and always feel he is looking to attack.

I’d prefer to keep Hastie for 

1. Starter on the team to help us win games

2. So we can get decent transfer fee for him with add ons

3. Not sell him to another club in the same league

With  respect to Frear I think he looks much better now that he’s allowed to be an attacking winger. Thought he played well when he came on Saturday and actually put balls into the middle with both feet. Which makes it a wee bit less predictable for defenders playing against him. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

I’d prefer to keep Hastie for 

1. Starter on the team to help us win games

2. So we can get decent transfer fee for him with add ons

3. Not sell him to another club in the same league

With  respect to Frear I think he looks much better now that he’s allowed to be an attacking winger. Thought he played well when he came on Saturday and actually put balls into the middle with both feet. Which makes it a wee bit less predictable for defenders playing against him. 

and me thinks that at this time of YOUR day,,,, youv got to much time on your hands ,,,,