• Alex Rodriguez Gorrin
    • Curtis Main
    • David Turnbull
    • Jake Hastie
    • Carl McHugh
    • Elliott Frear
    • Danny Johnson
    • Null Vote

Very hard to pick a winner today.  Goly destroyed them in the first half.  The young guns Turnbull,  Hastie and Campbell are an absolute  joy to watch. Aldred strolled it at the back and our full backs played well but I really  think our big turn up in fortune  has coincided  with the arrival of Gorrin as a main player.  I thought he was outstanding today breaking up the play  and starting attacks. 

Goly in the first half had four accies players surrounding  him and made fools of them with his foot work. i agree with the comments about Gorrin. but have to go with Turnbull. I recall only one mistake all all afternoon. boy covers all of the park making himself available, never seems to panic when in possession or making a pass. Maturity way beyond his years.

Hard to choose today.

Tait Aldred and Grimshaw were all great at the back.

Gorrin and Campbell both excellent in midfield.

Ariybi and Hastie both really good in first half but didnt enjoy same amount of time on ball 2nd half.

Mom for me though is Turnbull. Complete performance. So calm and composed on the ball, 2 goals, might have had a third. Just first class.

Gorrin’s timing of his tackling and composure on the ball seems to get better every time he plays, a really important player for us over the past few games and hope he gets a new contract. He didn’t give them a moments peace today, constantly applying pressure on their midfield and getting us going forward again quickly. Really enjoyed watching him today and if it wasn’t for the fact he was taken off relatively early, I think he would’ve been my pick.

Campbell was also great in the middle today, winning the ball back and offering an option at times in the final third too. It’s lovely seeing him get back to his best as he’s a thouroughly enjoyable player to watch when he’s in that kind of form. It’s amazing to think that Hastie had a relatively quiet game today, despite the fact he added another to his goal tally. Maybe it was more to do with the fact Ariyibi was so effective today that Hastie was used less, however any time he was on the ball, he still looked like doing something positive. Another decent performance from him.

Main was a hell of a lot better today as well. The knock on that led to the first goal was brilliant however he missed a great opportunity to score early in the second half to really put the game out of sight. All round play much improved from the killie game, however he really needs to start scoring or chipping in with assists to be properly effective.

Ariyibi was simply wonderful to watch in that first half, and still had flashes in the second although like Main, wasted a couple of opportunities to score and out the game really out of sight. If he adds some more end product do his tricky dribbling he could make a real success of himself with Forest. Terrorising Gordon today as well as most of that Accies back four really put him in contention for MotM, although that’s only to be expected if you get an assist in addition to winning a penalty.

Aldred was a complete wall, Tait and Grimshaw looked really comfortable for the vast majority of the game and Dunne was decent. A good overall display from the defensive line meant Gillespie had very little to do aside from take a couple of goal kicks. Wish I could say more about the defence, however they just didn’t have that much to do against a poor accies forward line.

Turnbull stole the show today though. Getting two goals and an assist would normally automatically mean he’d get the MotM but the fact his overall game was so good today makes it a relatively straightforward choice in the end. His composure on the ball is something we’ve lacked for a good few seasons really, and the fact he’s starting to improve the defensive side of the game and improving his work rate means we could really have a special talent on our hands. 

• Like 2

Ariyibi for me. He was utterly unplayable in that first half, I haven’t seen a Motherwell player rip the pish out of the opposition as much as he did today in years. Pretty anonymous in the second half but he’d done his job in the first half already.

There wasn't a failure for me yesterday, the back four never looked troubled and I can't think of an easier 90mins that Gillespie will have had since he came in to the side. 

Main held things up well, pressed well,  finished we... on the bench, hastie was quieter but still got a goal and looked dangerous on a couple of occasions.  Campbell was his usual self, he almost gets overlooked every week because bar a few games this season he has always been consistently good. 

The three standouts  however were Gboly,  Gorrin and Turnbull. Gboly was outstanding in the first half and his unbelievable ability to look like he's lost the ball only to come out with it and leave 2 defenders on their backside is a joy to watch. He doesn't get my vote though as he faded in the 2nd half plus he and Curtis Main have obviously been doing extra shooting practice with Keith Lasley. 

Gorrin is everywhere picking up loose balls and just sticking his foot in to break down attacks, plus he can play a bit too.  He was a very close second but Turnbull was absolute quality and I think he only gave the ball away once near the end with a tired looking cross field pass. He scored 2 and set up the other so on that basis Turnbull gets my vote. 

I would agree there were no weak spots today and Gorrin was indeed excellent in midfield. Ariyibi was a joy to watch first half, if he was a natural finisher he would be nowhere near us and starting in the championship down south. Aldred again as solid as a rock, Hastie scored but became less effective as the game went on and I can understand why he was taken off. I though Main put in a hell of a shift and was pivotal at certain points of the game, just wish he scored more goals. But for me Turnbull, just class with rediculous composure for a player so young. I remember many years ago York had a rightback a bit like Turnbull and they used to say he looked like he was playing in “ carpet slippers” that’s Turnbull, silky smooth and making it look so easy.