2018/19 Game 30: Hibs (A) March 16th 3pm kick off

texanwellfan

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to 2018/19 Game 30: Hibs (A) March 16th 3pm kick off

It’s hard to rule anything out considering the run we’ve been on. Winning far from  guarantees us top six, but I think anything less than 3 points all but ends our chances due to our goal difference. 

We have the slight advantage of a settled team, and two of the in form players in the league, but we always struggle at Easter road so it will be a hard one.

4-0 us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Serious question. Do we want to finish in the top six? I know there are financial positives but for me the risk of Celtic winning the league at Fir Park gives me the fear. There's also the fact that games against the bottom six might be better games for us to blood the likes of Brown, Semple, Scott and Livingstone.

Obviously I never like to see us lose games but just don't see the great appeal of finishing top six...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Serious question. Do we want to finish in the top six? I know there are financial positives but for me the risk of Celtic winning the league at Fir Park gives me the fear. There's also the fact that games against the bottom six might be better games for us to blood the likes of Brown, Semple, Scott and Livingstone.

Obviously I never like to see us lose games but just don't see the great appeal of finishing top six...

I'm thinking this way as well...the top6 is only a financial benefit to us. I know finances are obviously of huge importance and I can understand the Club wanting to 'achieve' that 6th place, but for me, finishing 6th of the 6 teams is just fucking shite as a spectical, I'm sure there was one year we finished in the top6, but were so far behind the other 5 clubs that we got fucked in our final 5 matches. 

Giving some of our youngsters more match experience against the lower end teams and hopefully winning, could be just as valuable as that extra income in the long run. That, and we'd have the possibility of being involved in relegating Accies...

• Like 1

For me, same team as before, regardless of any deal , or not, for Hastie. 

Regardless of all the chat about Jake he's still not a 90 min player for me. But, we don't have a better option to slot in at the moment so he plays. 

Strongest team for the tilt at the top 6.

If we manage to slide in and finish in the top six then it's job done for us, we've accomplished more than we thought possible a few months back. 

We can then look to play some games against the top sides, giving our lads a runout in games that matter. We'd basically be playing with house money, as even a sixth place finish would be great. 

5 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

The aim at the start of every season is to finish as high up the league as possible, so for me a top 6 finish would be great given where we were before Christmas. There are also the financial benefits, more prize money, 2 extra game against the ugly sisters etc so we need to go for it.

As for losing games, apart from the ugly sisters , Hearts, Killie and Aberdeen are average at best and all beatable so with no pressure on us u think we could do well against them. So for me we need to go for it in the next 2 games against Hibs and St  Johnstone, 2 wins and we could be in for a great end to the season.

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

We could still give the young players games against Hearts and Killie who are fairly pish and won't have much to play for.

The game against Celtic brings in an extra £100,000 which is the wage for a good striker for next season. 

And a new contract for George Newell especially for you.....:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

And a new contract for George Newell especially for you.....:P

He might already have one! They didn't bother to announce it last year.

I think it will be best for all involved if George can save SPFL football in Coatbridge and then find a suitable spot somewhere on the English pyramid.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I really struggle to understand this line of thinking. 

• Like 2

Defo want top 6.

More money for higher league position.

More money for another Celtic game

More money from higher away supports in other fixtures.

In our current form and with Celtic at home we should fear no one and it would be pretty much a free shot at all the other teams.

Perfect scenario to try out a few things with no pressure....

14 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Yes we definitely do, it’s worth a good deal of money both finishing higher and the far bigger attendances. Season tickets easier to push and on top of that we are more attractive to potential new recruits who would rather join a club who look to be improving over one that’s struggling. Top six would make for a very acceptable season.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:49 AM, MelvinBragg said:

There is still a chance that Celtic could win the league at Fir Park without even being there, it is unlikely, but Ugly twin blue have to play Killie and Hearts at home either side of the next bigotfest at Parkhead, which means they could come to the Citadel needing a win to keep the League alive.

Oh and yes, we do want to finish top six, fun though it would be to potentially relegate Hamilton / Dundee / St. Mirren, I'd rather have the cash thanks. 

I can see why the club and the players would want top six. Just feel as a fan, bottom six games might be more enjoyable without trip to Ibrox and the always enjoyable visit of thousands of Celtic supporters.  And as others have pointed out, offers the possibility of relegating Accies at their own place...

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

I can see why the club and the players would want top six. Just feel as a fan, bottom six games might be more enjoyable without trip to Ibrox and the always enjoyable visit of thousands of Celtic supporters.  And as others have pointed out, offers the possibility of relegating Accies at their own place...

We need the money and top six is worth more to us. So top six all the way. 

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we finish top 6, but definitely agree we should be aiming for that. If we don't win this one, that gives Hibs the edge in the race.

The extra cash is always welcome, and if we're going to give the youngsters some more game time, might as well give them a run out against the top teams. 

Plus, it gives us something to play for over the last few pre-split games and would quite an achievement given where we were in late December.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we finish top 6, but definitely agree we should be aiming for that. If we don't win this one, that gives Hibs the edge in the race.

I think they still have the edge if we win, 

Their last three games are Livi (away), Killie (home) and Hearts (away)

With ours being StJ (home), Aberdeen (away) and Rangers (home). 

So even with a win on Saturday to move into 6th place, I think we will need a fair slice of good fortune to stay in 6th.