2018/19 Game 30: Hibs (A) March 16th 3pm kick off

texanwellfan

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Johnson missed a feckin sitter at the end there

Looked like a decent defensive block. 

Was not there but we seemed to have given away a couple of soft goals. 

BBC stats have us edging possession and 1 more shot on target. So maybe not such a car crash but defo end of our top 6 hopes. 

Not the end of the world given where we were pre Xmas but a bit of a knock to our good run. 

Lets win bottom half trophy for 2nd season in a row....

Didn’t notice any sitters, but we made a couple of chances there near the end, and Aldred did more in his 2 minute spell up front than Main did all game.

Hibs looked quicker across the board, and our wingers barely troubled them. I don’t think anyone was particularly poor today, and we looked composed and determined to play the ball on the ground, but didn’t  have anything close to a cutting edge.  

Lack of a goalscorer is the reason we won’t make top 6 this season and that’s obviously the main priority this summer. I suspect Main will head back down south, Johnson could probably knock a good few in if he was willing to drop down to championship level up here but again I suspect he will head back down south to a league two club.

• Like 1

I think Johnson is shite. Main is only good if the wingers are firing and scoring goals, but even a team with our resources can find a  better “nuisance” than him.

Scott was OK when he came on, nothing special, but we have between now and the end of the season to see what we have with him, so I think we should be starting with him going forward.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I think Johnson is shite. Main is only good if the wingers are firing and scoring goals, but even a team with our resources can find a  better “nuisance” than him.

Scott was OK when he came on, nothing special, but we have between now and the end of the season to see what we have with him, so I think we should be starting with him going forward.

Personally i’m still not convinced Scott is close to being a starter next season, still a way to go for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Didn’t notice any sitters, but we made a couple of chances there near the end, and Aldred did more in his 2 minute spell up front than Main did all game.

Hibs looked quicker across the board, and our wingers barely troubled them. I don’t think anyone was particularly poor today, and we looked composed and determined to play the ball on the ground, but didn’t  have anything close to a cutting edge.  

I thought there were quite a few substandard performances. Thought the whole back four was poor today, Campbell had his poorest match in a while and Main didn't look interested in being out in the rain. Even Gillespie looked a bit ropey at times.

Outside of Gorrin, Hastie and Turnbull everyone was below average.

The substitutes improved us and should have been made earlier as it was obvious what was wrong.

2 hours ago, postiejim said:

Top six was a big ask so I’m no overly fussed, season was pretty much over when we were safe from relegation.

Pretty much this.  Hibs at Easter Road was always going to be a very big ask and it seems the team knew that beforehand.  Sounds as though we couldn't match Hib's fight and determination never mind football.  Our lack of a decent striker is very evident.  On the plus side, youngsters like Hastie and Turnbull will have hopefully learnt that they need to produce an awful lot more when marked tightly.   No red cards no bad injuries so thats a plus although Gorrin's yellow card means a suspension is that little bit closer.  

Before today, I always thought that our real battle was with St Johnstone and Livingston and so it will prove.  We have virtually secured 9th place and good chances of finishing 8th or perhaps even 7th.  Finishing above Livingston and St Johnstone is not beyond us.  A bonus too that Aberdeen held Livingston to a draw. 

Hibs were good while we were 6/10 across the pitch.  Not bad perfomance however they successfully nullified most of what we tried to do and always looked more threatening in possession. 

In the grand scheme of 2019 a performance like that is to be expected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoF said:

Hibs were good while we were 6/10 across the pitch.  Not bad perfomance however they successfully nullified most of what we tried to do and always looked more threatening in possession. 

In the grand scheme of 2019 a performance like that is to be expected. 

I thought Hibs were pish,  we didnt have 50% possession cos we were good.  Hibs gave us the ball time n again their distribution was piss poor  sadly ours was even worse and we gave them the ball straight back. Hibs won comfortably cos we were rank. A half decent performance from us would have got a point at least.

Really disappointing to be out of the race for 6th. Thought we were pretty poor today and never really got going. Hibs were poor too, but watching the highlights they had many more chances than us. Aldred and Tait have been standout performers this season but both their individual mistakes cost us today. As others have said it was going to be very tough, but I had a wee feeling we could've done it.

I'd like to see us find a balance between working hard to finish 7th and giving guys like Scott more game time. The planning for 2019/20 starts now.

Out of the race?  It's not so long ago we were sitting at the bottom end of the table.  A good run of results put us within touching distance of top 6 , but Hibs,  Hearts and Aberdeen are always tough ones away from home.

We could have a good run again, others could have a bad run.   Still a lot to play for.

• Like 1

We never really got going, doubling up on the wingers killed our play. 

I said it last and will say it again, Main isn’t good enough for the level IMO. We badly need to review our striking options. 

It remains unseen if Hastie will be our player next season and whilst I don’t want to be too overly critical of the guy, the same happened against accies to a large extent as today in that he has a wee habit of drifting out of games if he isn’t getting much joy. 

Overall, we looked leggy. I’d imagine top 6 will be too much, so I’d personally be looking to shape a side that will take us into next season. Bringing in scott etc. and working on some different shapes. 

19 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I thought Hibs were pish,  we didnt have 50% possession cos we were good.  Hibs gave us the ball time n again their distribution was piss poor  sadly ours was even worse and we gave them the ball straight back. Hibs won comfortably cos we were rank. A half decent performance from us would have got a point at least.

Hmmm. I thought they were smart in nullifying our forward threats, stopped Turnbull and Gorin dictating in the middle and lost possession because they were actually trying to play some incisive football. We were rank because of Hibs.