Player and Young Player of the Year

alanos

On 3/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, weeyin said:

Turnbull first shone when Bigi was played alongside him in Oct/Nov (although Cadden's form in Oct/Nov wasn't too shabby either). 

Tait played well in Oct/Nov too, so not sure how that changes my original point.

As good as Turnbull has been, it's ridiculous to suggest that, in a team game, he was single-handedly responsible for turning our season around. 

I don’t think it’s actually that far off the mark. I personally think Turnbull was the catalyst that saw the season change around. While I accept it’s a team game he had a massive effect on the whole team, not just with some crucial goals but the lift he gave everyone, including the crowd. I would not be upset at all if he won both awards because he’s at the heart of just about everything positive the team do.

I'm just glad that there are options and we can actually choose someone. Several months ago the thought of picking Players of the year would have been laughable. Unless it was based on the least disappointing.

I agree Turnbull had an amazing impact by way of goals, chances created,composure..... but I think his biggest impact was that he brought hope and belief and lifted a group of fans and players who had all but given up on avoiding a relegation battle. So I can see the argument for him winning both awards.

But for his heart, desire and will to win no matter what, my player of the season is Aldred, with Turnbull as young player.

Special mention to Gillespie also.  

On 3/16/2019 at 8:52 PM, Ya Bezzer! said:

Turnbull is most responsible for turning the season round than any other person at the club.

For him not to win both awards would be ridiculous.

Agree that Turnbull is a worthy shout for both. Disagree that anyone who thinks otherwise for POTY is being absurd or deserving of or inviting derision or mockery.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:28 PM, weeyin said:

As good as Turnbull has been, it's ridiculous to suggest that, in a team game, he was single-handedly responsible for turning our season around.

I know that you know that's not what I said.

I said he was most responsible.

People  also claimed Twardzik was responsible for our improvement in form when he came in on loan (so much so, they insisted we sign him full time).

It's rarely as simple as that. I still maintain that, as good as he is, he would not have been as influential if we had slotted him into the team and formation we were playing in August. 

• Like 1