2018/19 Game 31: St Johnstone (H) March 30th 3pm Kick Off

Kmcalpin

Getting bored with the international break, so lets look forward to the upcoming St Johnstone game.  Its just been announced that the rescheduled St Johnstone V St Mirren game will now take place on Wednesday 27th March, so that will give the Perth club less time to prepare for our encounter.  An important game in the race for 7th place; not earthshattering in itself but worth a bit of cash to the club.   

• Like 1

I agree that we are probably playing for seventh now. Still, extra cash andan achievement of sorts on our budget and given where we found ourselves at Christmas. Hopefully the break will do us some good and we can hit the form we showed during our winning run. If so, a home win looks more than possible. 

5 hours ago, The African said:

I agree that we are probably playing for seventh now. Still, extra cash andan achievement of sorts on our budget and given where we found ourselves at Christmas. Hopefully the break will do us some good and we can hit the form we showed during our winning run. If so, a home win looks more than possible. 

I’m waiting for the Livi result before I give in 

I assume that Robbo will attend, or at least send scouts along to, the  All Saints game. A  perfect opporunity to assess opponents. Whatever, we need to try something a little bit different for this one as, recently, teams have sussed out our wingers and nullified them. You can say what you want about St Johnstone but they are a well drilled team and will have had us watched closely in the last few weeks. We've also upset and annoyed Tom Wright and so he'll have a score to settle.  

I’m expecting a tough game, it’s never easy against them and they are always well organised. As above teams are now starting to work out how to nullify our two wingers which is a problem because they have been very influential in the upturn in form and without an out and out goal scorer we can’t really adapt at the moment because we don’t have a huge amount of other viable options. An unchanged team if everyone is fit and 1-1.

20 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its just been announced that the rescheduled St Johnstone V St Mirren game will now take place on Wednesday 27th March, so that will give the Perth club less time to prepare for our encounter. 

the downside of that is they will have played a competitive game and could be sharper, where as we will not have played for a few weeks and could be rusty but let’s hope the cup game in January will serve as a warning to the players. 

22 hours ago, The African said:

We don't seem to fare well after breaks, winter or international.  Having our youngsters on international duty might be an advantage (as long as they are injury-free) as it might mainitain the sharpness we'll need to win this one.

It remains to be seen but it kind of felt like St Johnstone's cloak of invincibility had been torn to pieces when we finally managed to beat them in Perth in December.  That and the fact Steven "fucking" MacLean is no longer with them to routinely to score half of the goals they managed to put past us.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, Haggischomper said:

Time to give James Scott a go.

I'd be keen to see this. In all honesty Scott hasn't had much time to make an impression. It would be good to see what he can do from the start.

To be honest I'm hoping that we can give him (and others) regular games post split seeing as we will essentially have zero to play for.

• Like 1

I'd kinda prefer just to let it go to be honest, at least until next year when it'll be 25 years. No doubt he was one of the best there's been and died long before his time, but ultimately he was only with us for 4 years (only one of which was particularly successful), had left us and moved on a fair while before he died, and 24 years plus a few days isn't an especially notable anniversary otherwise. We'd probably be having minutes applauses for players every other week if we applied most of those criteria to all of them :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, numpty said:

I'd kinda prefer just to let it go to be honest, at least until next year when it'll be 25 years. No doubt he was one of the best there's been and died long before his time, but ultimately he was only with us for 4 years (only one of which was particularly successful), had left us and moved on a fair while before he died, and 24 years plus a few days isn't an especially notable anniversary otherwise. We'd probably be having minutes applauses for players every other week if we applied most of those criteria to all of them :)

Yeah, I can see something possibly being done to commemorate 25years and letting it drop after that. It would seem a bit odd to name a stand after him and not mark 25years. 

It goes without saying our top six chances are completely dead in the water after after Hibs winning last night. Would like to see us find a balance between consolidating 7th place and giving youngsters as much game time as possible.

Is there much of a difference between 7th and 8th/9th?

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

It goes without saying our top six chances are completely dead in the water after after Hibs winning last night. Would like to see us find a balance between consolidating 7th place and giving youngsters as much game time as possible.

Is there much of a difference between 7th and 8th/9th?

It's Hearts that will drop out of the top 6, not Hibs. I don't think Hearts will get another point pre-split.

Hearts have got Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs before the split. I don't think they'll take anything.

That's not to say I think us or St Johnstone will win enough to overtake them, I just think they'll reach the split on the same points as they are now.

As others have said our best chance is to leap frog Hearts.

Hearts are absolutely shite as far as I am concerned, I've seen them three times this season, but you don't need to be good to get points in this league as most teams are as bad as each other.

All you can really do is take care of your own games.

St. Johnstone are on a really bad run.  The interesting thing is they have gone from a run of clean sheets to conceding multiples in virtually ever match.  Given that they don't have much going up top, they could give Curtis Main a run for the 'least prolific striker of the year' award, I think this is a match we should be winning.

It's very noticeable that we've beaten the bottom clubs fairly comfortable but when we've come up against Kilmarnock, Hibs, Celtic it's been a different story.

Today will be a good gauge of how better we've really got and what work needs to be done in the summer. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Lukemfc1 said:

I'd be keen to see this. In all honesty Scott hasn't had much time to make an impression. It would be good to see what he can do from the start.

To be honest I'm hoping that we can give him (and others) regular games post split seeing as we will essentially have zero to play for.

He made a fair impression on the Tims did he not ??