Jump to content

Kmcalpin

2018/19 Game 31: St Johnstone (H) March 30th 3pm Kick Off

Recommended Posts

Thought when we scored we looked a better team ,three good goals , best move of the game was the breakaway from our own box ,some great passing and Frears shot  just past the post. Great to see Cadden back . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result and good to see Chris Cadden back looking sharp and strong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird one.

Great result but the match was howlin' and our overall performance was pretty poor.

Substitutes changed the game by actually giving us some width and it was a nice finish by Frear. 

Pretty much everything before that though was bad.  The full backs had their worst games for ages and the wingers just didn't get in the match at all.  Main as usual worked away, held the ball up but showed little striking ability and was a blunt knife.  As a result it was looking a 0-0 all day or even a 0-1 with St. Johnstone nicking it.

Shout out to Mark Gillespie who's probably saved the match for us with another penalty save.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Weird one.

Great result but the match was howlin' and our overall performance was pretty poor.

Substitutes changed the game by actually giving us some width and it was a nice finish by Frear. 

Pretty much everything before that though was bad.  The full backs had their worst games for ages and the wingers just didn't get in the match at all.  Main as usual worked away, held the ball up but showed little striking ability and was a blunt knife.  As a result it was looking a 0-0 all day or even a 0-1 with St. Johnstone nicking it.

Shout out to Mark Gillespie who's probably saved the match for us with another penalty save.

I agree to an extent. Hastie didn't offer much, difficult for Ariyibi to as he was booted up in the air pretty much every time he got the ball.  Always felt we were the team more likely to play decent football. Only period I felt they were the better team was the first 15 minutes of the second half.  And that was changed by the subs.  

Winning while playing poorly is never a bad sign and it was good to have the option of Cadden and Frear to give their full backs different problems. Hastie is never going to power past people the way Cadden can...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad football prevailed and we put them to the sword in the end. Absolute guerrilla tactics from SJ. Three well taken goals but up until then we offered very little. Thought Richard Tait had his worst game in c and a until his goal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

Glad football prevailed and we put them to the sword in the end. Absolute guerrilla tactics from SJ. Three well taken goals but up until then we offered very little. Thought Richard Tait had his worst game in c and a until his goal. 

Really?  He had three must win challenges in the game, the third being the most important after  Turnbull failed to clear at a corner.  Like most of the D he cruised through most of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe worst is an exaggeration but his first touch wasn't there all day and his second was always a tackle. Certainly wasn't his usual assured self. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Weird one.

Great result but the match was howlin' and our overall performance was pretty poor.

Substitutes changed the game by actually giving us some width and it was a nice finish by Frear. 

Pretty much everything before that though was bad.  The full backs had their worst games for ages and the wingers just didn't get in the match at all.  Main as usual worked away, held the ball up but showed little striking ability and was a blunt knife.  As a result it was looking a 0-0 all day or even a 0-1 with St. Johnstone nicking it.

Shout out to Mark Gillespie who's probably saved the match for us with another penalty save.

 

 

 

I would agree with pretty much all of that with no player really standing out. Distribution was pretty appalling from everyone and when you add in St Johnston’s tactics of taking out anyone who crossed the halfway line it was very frustrating to watch, the ref had a howler for me, never being truly in control of the game. The game changer was definitely the introduction of Frear and Cadden, Ariyibi was hardly given a sniff while I continue to question if Hastie really is as good as he’s being made out to be, Frear and Cadds did more in five minutes than he did the previous 60. I would also say that Tait had one of his worst games for ages even though he obviously scored and hit the crossbar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Don't remember a keeper saving as many PK's

Think he saved 3 for Carlisle in a penalty in league cup shootout against Liverpool at Annfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Gillespie's a good keeper. By the nature of the posts here we haven't played great but win 3-0. Good enough for me. Just think how we could be with Tait at right back with a proper left back and a centre forward who will actually score occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DEWELL said:

Yes Gillespie's a good keeper. By the nature of the posts here we haven't played great but win 3-0. Good enough for me. Just think how we could be with Tait at right back with a proper left back and a centre forward who will actually score occasionally.

 Number  one priority in the summer is obviously a goalscorer, easier said than done on our budget but we can’t go into next season with Main i’m afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, postiejim said:

Thought when we scored we looked a better team ,three good goals , best move of the game was the breakaway from our own box ,some great passing and Frears shot  just past the post. Great to see Cadden back . 

If Frear had scored that it would have been a goal of the season contender for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St Johnstone came to sit in and try and nick something, and if Kane wasn’t shite they might have. However, we persevered and found a way through their banks of five.  Says a lot that they were parking the bus, we weren’t firing on all cylinders, but we still strolled it 3-0. I think some folk are failing to grasp how big a deal that is, with all the talk of changes that need to be made. 13 of the 14 players on the park for us today are responsible for the crazy run we’ve been on since the cup game, they all deserve credit.

Main was instrumental in two of the goals today, and his hold up play was really good in the second half. I liked how we stuck to our plan and didn’t resort to punting it into the box, which lead to three really well worked goals. The counter attack for Frears almost second was clinical.

Dunne strolled the game, and Aldred was Aldred, their partnership allows us to do everything else. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not getting the Main hate. 

I appreciate he isn’t scoring goals however he is instrumental to how we are performing  at the moment. 

His link up play is improving every week and his flick for Frears goal was class. 

A lone striker in this role has to be more than just a goal scorer and I certainly think that he is proving to be an excellent foil for our wide players and drags defenders all over the place to create space for the rest of the team. 

Seems he is the whipping boy for the perennially unhappy amongst us now. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

I’m not getting the Main hate. 

I appreciate he isn’t scoring goals however he is instrumental to how we are performing  at the moment. 

His link up play is improving every week and his flick for Frears goal was class. 

A lone striker in this role has to be more than just a goal scorer and I certainly think that he is proving to be an excellent foil for our wide players and drags defenders all over the place to create space for the rest of the team. 

Seems he is the whipping boy for the perennially unhappy amongst us now. 

Certainly no main hate from me, quite the opposite he puts in a tremendous shift and as you say is often instrumental. However looking forward to next season would you keep things as they are up front and trust that he finds his goalscoring  form again ? You are of course correct when you say a lone striker has to be more than just a goalscorer, but he does also have to be a goalscorer, he’s scored 3 league goals all season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

A lone striker in this role has to be more than just a goal scorer 

The trouble is, he's not a goal scorer at all these days. I can't say I'm one of the haters and he's certainly played his part in our recent run of form, but whenever a cross comes into the box he usually looks about as likely to get on the end of it as I am.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Main’s flick to Frear was one of the very few things that actually worked/stuck for him. I think a lot of people are fed up of him constantly jostling with defenders instead of trying to keep the ball. That and his poor finishing. 

The guy clearly tries his heart out but I don’t think he’s good enough for this league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great result against St J's bully tactics.   I never heard any but sources told me Hastie was being booed....Jeeez get a grip folks.   At end if day he is still our player and 50/50 challenge he won in first half showed he is committed to the cause.   Great to see Cadds back and he looked sharp.   COYW

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never heard boos at all seems  to be a lot of piss spoken about Hastie these days were your sources at the game ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't hear any boos on the MFC TV stream today, but don't doubt there are a few idiots out there.

I said in the other thread the his big challenge now is how he deals with teams that try to shut him down, and he struggled with the two markers today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wellowell said:

I never heard boos at all seems  to be a lot of piss spoken about Hastie these days were your sources at the game ? 

Didn't hear any boos today but there was certainly booing at the Accies match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

 Says a lot that they were parking the bus, we weren’t firing on all cylinders, but we still strolled it 3-0. I think some folk are failing to grasp how big a deal that is, with all the talk of changes that need to be made.

St. Johnstone have conceded 2 or more goals in 8 out of the last 10.  Livingston put 3 past them recently having only score 3 goals in their previous 9 matches. 

Basically St. Johnstone are honking right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×