2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Some players will leave.

The media will link us to players we aren't signing.

We'll bring in new players nobody has heard of.

They will be written off by some fans after a couple of pre-season friendlies.

/thread :D

Hopefully we can move on Danny Johnson and Hartley to free up cash and places in the squad.

It looks like we are signing Declan Gallagher and Ousmane Fané from Oldham. Beyond that we need at least two strikers, one winger or possibly two and a left back.

• Like 1

Out of contract perm players, would like to keep but odds on to leave: Cadden, Gorrin, Hastie

Time for a change and move on either way: McHugh, Frear, Main

Undecided due to injury: Tanner, Mbulu 

Of the loans: I'd keep Aldred if we could.

Very possible we are going to need a central defender,  a central sitting midfielder, left and right winger and a striker.  Lovely.

11 minutes ago, superward said:

Very possible we are going to need a central defender,  a central sitting midfielder, left and right winger and a striker.  Lovely.

I think we'll need at least one striker, depending on who moves on.  Newell and Sammon will definitely leave.  Johnson and Main may do so.  That would only leave the relatively raw but promising James Scott.  

I would sell Hartley, Frear, Johnson, Newell......would love to keep Hastie and Cadds.   I would keep Main, I know he divides opinion but he does a lot of work that doesn't get noticed, a bit like McHugh.    Also like to see Maguire and Livingston pushing for more starts

If the Main story is true, I am surprised he didn’t move in January. They must have offered peanuts.

I think he put in a decent shift for us over the time he has been with us and would wish him well in the future if not signing for a rival. I would hope that, given the time to look around, we could find a reasonable replacement for him.

12 hours ago, superward said:

Aberdeen interested in Main according to the papers. They can take him. 

He does the hard work. But he doesn't do it very well. He also doesn't score a lot of goals . Cheery bye.

I’d be suprised if that happens. The guy has scored 3 league goals all season, can’t see the attraction for a top six club regardless of his other attributes.

37 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’d be suprised if that happens. The guy has scored 3 league goals all season, can’t see the attraction for a top six club regardless of his other attributes.

We've been gash for most of this season though, haven't we? He scored eight goals in the second half of the season last year when it seemed he was used as a proper striker. 

The second half of this season he's been as instrumental as anyone in changing our fortunes, but has been used in a position and tactically that doesn't really lend itself to him getting a lot of opportunities to score goals.

One of those players who is recognised more by his fellow pros and managers than by fans it seems.

52 minutes ago, David said:

We've been gash for most of this season though, haven't we? He scored eight goals in the second half of the season last year when it seemed he was used as a proper striker. 

The second half of this season he's been as instrumental as anyone in changing our fortunes, but has been used in a position and tactically that doesn't really lend itself to him getting a lot of opportunities to score goals.

One of those players who is recognised more by his fellow pros and managers than by fans it seems.

He has had a good few opportunities looking back at highlights, he just cant put the ball in the back of the net and looks totally devoid of confidence.  Listen I get all the positives about him, he does contribute and put a shift in. However I would question whether that’s going to be enough for a club looking to try and finish second next season.

23 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He has had a good few opportunities looking back at highlights, he just cant put the ball in the back of the net and looks totally devoid of confidence.  Listen I get all the positives about him, he does contribute and put a shift in. However I would question whether that’s going to be enough for a club looking to try and finish second next season.

I guess it depends on what McInnes sees in him really. Personally, I'd love him to stay with us. He adds a physicality that comes in useful. If we can bring in someone else to compete for that strikers spot with him, or even play alongside him then it could be interesting.

At the moment he's simply doing the job that he's being asked, as Robinson had to make some changes to how we go about playing after the first half of the season. He's probably not overly keen on it himself, but he's doing his bit. Hopefully he can see us to a 7th place finish before he makes his decision.

Interesting we have already got 2 property signed but obviously not announced, presumably Gallagher and Fane. But good to see we’ve also offered 4 contracts and another couple have been verbally made. Hopefully a more successful recruitment this summer than last and we can get off to a good start and improve on this season.

4 hours ago, David said:

I guess it depends on what McInnes sees in him really. Personally, I'd love him to stay with us. He adds a physicality that comes in useful. If we can bring in someone else to compete for that strikers spot with him, or even play alongside him then it could be interesting.

At the moment he's simply doing the job that he's being asked, as Robinson had to make some changes to how we go about playing after the first half of the season. He's probably not overly keen on it himself, but he's doing his bit. Hopefully he can see us to a 7th place finish before he makes his decision.

I think that's an overly positive view on Main to be honest. I used to be a big supporter but he's basically just physical and that's it, I'll give him that.  

I can see the argument about being the target man and not scoring goals. But he's not good at winning the ball in the air, not good at taking it in and distributing it out, not good at scoring goals....I wish him all the best but time for a change. 

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Interesting we have already got 2 property signed but obviously not announced, presumably Gallagher and Fane. But good to see we’ve also offered 4 contracts and another couple have been verbally made. Hopefully a more successful recruitment this summer than last and we can get off to a good start and improve on this season.

Where was all this reported? 

47 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Where was all this reported? 

From the press conference today. Quotes in Record online for one. Then goes on to say no one is rushing through the door to sign them. 

Sadly, its where we are for next year I guess. We have budget, and when players know they can probably get a move, for more money, perhaps at a better performing team they'll hedge their bets and keep the offer on the table for as long as possible.

Can’t be easy attracting players to the club with our budget to be fair and as we all know they soon attract attention when they start performing. But that’s what you take on when you agree to be the next Motherwell manager so it comes with the gig.

I'd like to see him stay because he can usually pass and press  well and he does like a tackle, though in every game I have seen him play  he produces at least one slack or lazy pass that puts us under a bit of pressure. Presumably this is why he plays for us and  not  Barcelona :D.

13 minutes ago, supermarv said:

95% staying. Cadden and Hastie not so confident with. Johnson and Donnelly away aswell. Looks likely Aldred will stay too.

If all of that's true that would mean someone paying for Johnson and Donnelly as both have a year left. Which would be a nice surprise.

28 minutes ago, superward said:

If all of that's true that would mean someone paying for Johnson and Donnelly as both have a year left. Which would be a nice surprise.

More likely just nominal fees but still extra cash for our more players who aren’t needed and replaced by hopefully more efficient ones 

Personally I would be happy to retain Johnson for another year, or at least have someone of a similar style in the squad.

I accept he's well out things currently and the present set up is not one in which he's likely to flourish but  one of our issues in the opening half of this season was that for too long we remained rigid to the same style and often the same personnel within that formation. 

In much the same way the three-at-the-back eventually ran its course so too will this formation hit limitations,  be that through opposition sides nullifying it, players moving on or whatever.  We would surely want to retain a player in his mould to provide the necessary variation when the opposition or circumstance dictate.   Plenty seem to have accepted that it's a matter of time before he goes but to me he has shown somethingand to me there should certainly be a place in the squad for someone of his style.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic