2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

On 4/4/2019 at 10:48 PM, superward said:

Aberdeen interested in Main according to the papers. They can take him. 

He does the hard work. But he doesn't do it very well. He also doesn't score a lot of goals . Cheery bye.

Aberdeen are weird.

Turn Sam Cosgrove into a goal scoring machine but have the opposite effect on Stevie May and Greg Stewart.

So if Main does go to Aberdeen he'll probably get 15 league goals.

• Like 1

I'm happy with Campbell, Turnbull and Gorrin as a midfield three. 

Of course Gorrin has been linked to other clubs and you'd be daft to think Turnbull won't attract attention but if we can keep this group I think the midfield is decent.

The Hastie thing is still unresolved but we will need at least one new winger, perhaps two.

A striker is obviously a must.

As I've mentioned previously I think we need to re-work the back 4.  If we want to challenge for the Top 6 I think we need to be stronger in this area.  Gillespie as goalkeeper has been great, for me he's the number 1 now.  However I'd like to see Tait go back to the right back and a new left back brought in.  Aldred will leave which is a pity and while I think Dunne is fine for bottom 6 football, I don't think he's good enough against the better teams.  The other guys we have, Hartley, McHugh are behind Dunne so I think we need to ship them out and bring in two new centre backs with Dunne in there for competition.

So just for starters, in terms of starting XI, we need a left back, two centre backs, one or two wingers, and a striker - say 5 first team level players at the very least.  Then we might have to replace the likes of Hastie, Turnbull and Gorrin.  So just for the first XI next term I think we are looking for between 5 and 8 first team level players.

Robinson is going to have a busy summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

As I've mentioned previously I think we need to re-work the back 4.  If we want to challenge for the Top 6 I think we need to be stronger in this area.  Gillespie as goalkeeper has been great, for me he's the number 1 now.  However I'd like to see Tait go back to the right back and a new left back brought in.  Aldred will leave which is a pity and while I think Dunne is fine for bottom 6 football, I don't think he's good enough against the better teams.  The other guys we have, Hartley, McHugh are behind Dunne so I think we need to ship them out and bring in two new centre backs with Dunne in there for competition.

It wouldn't be my priority but yes we could strengthen the defence.  Our goalies are just fine.  The central defence though lacks a bit of height as we've seen in recent games, but I think that the potential signing of Declan Gallagher will rectify that.  The defence still requires better screening as we saw on Wednesday night but that might be down to Gorrin's absence and Campbell's inexperience. Left back?  I'm coming round to your way of thinking in that we required an out and out  left back.  

3 hours ago, The African said:

BBC gossip suggesting that Tom Aldred would be interested in staying on beyond the end of his loan deal. Please let it be so. He has been excellent for us.

Presumably based on this article in The Herald - although, it's pretty non-commital stuff about "not a closed door for me"

MOTHERWELL defender Tom Aldred hinted last night that he could be prepared to stay on at the club when his loan deal from Bury expires this summer, writes Stewart Fisher. The 28-year-old, nearing the end of his second temporary spell at the club from Bury, has played 39 times this season already. He is sure to have options when his contract at the Greater Manchester outfit expires at the end of this season but Aldred – who represented Scotland at Under-19 level, hasn’t closed the door to remaining in Lanarkshire on a permanent basis.

“I am out of contract in the summer so as with any footballer you don’t know where you are going to be,” said Aldred. “It comes with the territory. From my point of view I have six games until the end of the season and I will be focusing on them as I did the previous 50 or so that I have played at the club.

“At this minute I honestly don’t know where I am going to be but my commitment is to Motherwell Football Club, just like it has been for the previous 18 months. I have sat down with the manager and chatted about things but it is just a case of getting through the remaining six games of the season and we will chat again after that. It [staying on] is definitely not a closed door for me, but we will discuss it again in detail when we get to the back end of the season.”

20 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'm happy with Campbell, Turnbull and Gorrin as a midfield three. 

Of course Gorrin has been linked to other clubs and you'd be daft to think Turnbull won't attract attention but if we can keep this group I think the midfield is decent.

The Hastie thing is still unresolved but we will need at least one new winger, perhaps two.

A striker is obviously a must.

So just for starters, in terms of starting XI, we need a left back, two centre backs, one or two wingers, and a striker - say 5 first team level players at the very least.  Then we might have to replace the likes of Hastie, Turnbull and Gorrin.  So just for the first XI next term I think we are looking for between 5 and 8 first team level players.

Robinson is going to have a busy summer.

Thought Dunne has been up there with the best performers this season so I’ve got to disagree with you there. We had a disastrous start to the season without him, especially his strength and pace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supermarv said:

Thought Dunne has been up there with the best performers this season so I’ve got to disagree with you there. We had a disastrous start to the season without him, especially his strength and pace.

Well I said he was better than McHugh or Hartley, so his come back did improve us, but I think my point still stands.

Dunne is fine when his physicality and pace can get him through matches, last week for instance against a Chris Kane level player.  

When he's up against actual footballers I don't think he's defensively good enough and his poor distribution is also amplified when we are playing against better quality teams.

If you want to finish 7th, 8th, 9th that's probably achievable with Dunne in the side but I'd question how much further we can go with that level of central defender.

Major rebuild in summer and today's putrid performance against Rangers as was the Aberdeen away showing just lets Robinson know there's a lot of work to be done. I'd give the out of contract players untill a certain date to sign up or ship out. None of them are irreplaceable.

3 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Major rebuild in summer and today's putrid performance against Rangers as was the Aberdeen away showing just lets Robinson know there's a lot of work to be done. I'd give the out of contract players untill a certain date to sign up or ship out. None of them are irreplaceable.

Agreed.  A very useful lesson today I just hope its taken on board.  To bang Ya Beezer!'s drum, for once, its highlighted that we badly need to bolster the defence and defensive midfield.  Its no use standing still because our immediate rivals certainly won't.  To those who bemoan our paltry budget and say its very difficult to source decent players just look at Livingston, who achieved a goalless draw at Parkhead yesterday and have conceded 10 less goals than us so far.  Irrespective of impending big changes in midfield and up front we simply can't afford not to strengthen at the back.  

Not sure we'll find better defensive midfielders than Campbell and Gorrin - tucked in beside Turnbull and Cadden and I'd say that is one of our better line-ups.

As for Livingstone - putting aside the fact that we have more points (and more wins) than them, and putting aside that abomination of plastic that their manager admits gives them an advantage - if we played the tactics they play every week, I'd cancel my Well Society subscription and pop my eyes out with a spoon.

Declan Gallagher spotted today in Cooper Stand hospitality suite. 

I think we can safely say he is one of the 2 players Robinson has signed for the new season.

I took in Livi`s game last week against the Accies. Gallagher again strolled through the match showing good defensive and attacking skills.

Methinks we have a player here.

49 minutes ago, livivoice said:

Declan Gallagher spotted today in Cooper Stand hospitality suite. 

I think we can safely say he is one of the 2 players Robinson has signed for the new season.

I took in Livi`s game last week against the Accies. Gallagher again strolled through the match showing good defensive and attacking skills.

Methinks we have a player here.

Probably not the best game to judge him on Accies are brutal, but I have seen him in other games and he looks a decent player, so time will tell.

Not quite on the park but perhaps a rebuild of sorts. Whilst listening to the Totally Scottish Football Show on the way into work this morning one of the usual trio Laura Brannan mentioned she was returning from London to become Motherwell's "Senior Producer" whatever that role entails. She has mentioned a couple of times on the show in the past about doing filming for MFC so it'll doubtless be media related and perhaps replacing/restructuring in light of Lewis Irons moving on.

There was a job advert posted a couple of months ago in advance of Lewis Irons leaving for this role. It seems they have not replaced like for like there. 

She is one of the people who have been doing the extra filming of games this season too. 

• Like 1

• David locked this topic