2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

On 4/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, Winning by Name said:

Yes but he is so young and that is why he is a much better player and asset than many are describing. Why do you want him to go? He is of a much higher quality than we could buy.

What position would you play Cadden in?

For me he's a player that's lost his way to such an extent I don't even know what he is any more.  Right back - no.  Winger - no.  Attacking midfielder - no.  Defensive midfielder - no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

What I find interesting with the two players we've signed on pre-contracts is that they're both from Scottish clubs. Is this a conscious decision to move away from signing players from the English lower leagues and non league? Was trying to think of other players we've signed from other Scottish clubs and other than Fisher, I was thinking you'd have to go back to the summer we signed Vigurs and Lawson...

Perhaps a shift in emphasis at least in part.  Other Scots clubs such as St Johnstone and Hamilton Accies have cast envious eyes over our recruitment from English lower leagues and have now turned their attention to this source of talent.  Maybe hotter competition then this particular pool of players.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

What position would you play Cadden in?

For me he's a player that's lost his way to such an extent I don't even know what he is any more.  Right back - no.  Winger - no.  Attacking midfielder - no.  Defensive midfielder - no.

Right wing

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Right wing

Fair enough, you've put your cards on the table there, but he doesn't have the technique to beat a player from a standing start which is about 50% of what a winger does.   In fact he is one of the players  who was always giving the ball away pre season revival.  We've been much better since him, McHugh and Bigi all disappeared because their combined ball retention was shocking. 

All Cadden can do in that position is to gallop after long balls and we are supposed to have moved on from that.

For me Cadden has a lot to do to become a first team player again.  Nothing against the lad, I was a fan of his three seasons ago but I think that says it all.  He's been going backwards for too long and he seriously needs to carve out a niche for himself because right now, he's a guy you bring on at the end of the game for a wee bit pace.

Needs to improve his basic technique big time and add goals to his game.  Cadden has 6 goals in 109 league matches.  Hastie got there in 14 matches....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

saying what he said so publicly was very naive, which is to be expected from someone so young with probably next to no media training. Imagine he came out with that line to appease a rangers support, god help him. 

No media training? It was his use of media that has propelled Burrows to the hierarchy of the club in the first instance. In fact, I consider his ability to be media savvy whilst not sounding too corporate to be refreshing.

I would wager that the clubs policy on youth development signings is not dissimilar to the majority of grow your own clubs like us. We all now know the policy on contract offers for youth and his examples of past errors were bang on the money.

To use Rangers or indeed Celtic as a benchmark of fan acceptance isn’t a credible one. They both have somewhat distorted views on the world.

As a barometer, I have a season ticket for Charlton who have an almost identical policy to Motherwell in terms of youth development. Manager Lee Bowyer has been saying almost exactly the same thing about home grown and out of contract midfielder Jo Aribo and the fans love him for  his candour and in this instance the way he (as Burrows has done) exposed the agent and put a public arm around the player.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17534332.charltons-bowyer-sets-record-straight-on-aribo-arsenal-talks/

24 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I was actually referring to Jake Hastie and his comments about wanting to stay and continue his development at Motherwell and not Alan Burrows who I also think comes across very well in the media.

Fair do’s and my bad. Yeh, it might just come back and bite the boy on the bum. Maybe he does want to stay, 10 years is a long time and ‘Well is all he knows but the allure of big money and a bigger club is overwhelming.

Fingers crossed he sees the mutual value in the deal offered by the club as 13 games does not make a star.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

saying what he said so publicly was very naive, which is to be expected from someone so young with probably next to no media training.

Naivety maybe but I would think his agent would try to control what he says in public. 

I certainly wouldn't hold what he said against him. Like all of us, his circumstances can change. He may be wanting to stay at Motherwell but then receive a potentially life-changing offer afterwards. 

At the end of the day it's his career, and he'll go about it as he sees fit.

• Like 1

In my opinion Burrows has played a blinder with the Hastie  Saga, let's not forget we are talking about an unproven player, yes he may have potential but having it an fulfilling it are very different things.

I he is tempted by a move away then as we have a good offer to him on the table and he's under 22 we are due development compensation, to be decided but the figure of 400 k was quoted.

If he stays and fulfills his potential then he would get another big money move and no doubt we would command a very good transfer fee.

So either way the club would get a significant cash return on the player, so it's a win win for the club

• Like 2

5 hours ago, David said:

I certainly wouldn't hold what he said against him. Like all of us, his circumstances can change. He may be wanting to stay at Motherwell but then receive a potentially life-changing offer afterwards. 

At the end of the day it's his career, and he'll go about it as he sees fit.

I suspect this saga has a wee bit to run yet.

9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Fair enough, you've put your cards on the table there, but he doesn't have the technique to beat a player from a standing start which is about 50% of what a winger does.   In fact he is one of the players  who was always giving the ball away pre season revival.  We've been much better since him, McHugh and Bigi all disappeared because their combined ball retention was shocking. 

All Cadden can do in that position is to gallop after long balls and we are supposed to have moved on from that.

For me Cadden has a lot to do to become a first team player again.  Nothing against the lad, I was a fan of his three seasons ago but I think that says it all.  He's been going backwards for too long and he seriously needs to carve out a niche for himself because right now, he's a guy you bring on at the end of the game for a wee bit pace.

Needs to improve his basic technique big time and add goals to his game.  Cadden has 6 goals in 109 league matches.  Hastie got there in 14 matches....

You asked where he'd play. In my view it's there. Not suggesting he gets a start tomorrow or the rest of the season tbf. That's where I see him suited to our team just now.

The rest of the post I have no comment on.

• Like 1

It seems that Robbo is now playing hardball with our out of contract players.  He's stated publicly that we won't wait forever for them to put pen to paper as we will have to find suitable replacements.  Quite right too.

From various sources I reckon the six we've offered contracts to are: Gorrin, Tanner, Cadden, Hastie, Aldred and McHugh.  Frear may not be included. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It seems that Robbo is now playing hardball with our out of contract players.  He's stated publicly that we won't wait forever for them to put pen to paper as we will have to find suitable replacements.  Quite right too.

From various sources I reckon the six we've offered contracts to are: Gorrin, Tanner, Cadden, Hastie, Aldred and McHugh.  Frear may not be included. 

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17586868.stephen-robinson-has-given-up-hope-of-rangers-target-jake-hastie-signing-on-for-motherwell/

Interesting to see the public comments of Robinson now changing re Hastie. Couldnt agree more at this point. Hastie a huge part in lifting us out of thr relegation area post Christmas. However, if Hastie is 100% away then it's time for someone else who will be here to play.

Cadden, Gorrin, Frear definitely 3 of the 6. Making moves for Aldred and Aryibi too it would seem.

Can’t say i’m really surprised, it’s gone on so long now I think it was obvious he was not going to sign a new contract. He’s going to make a ton of money but i’m not convinced as yet that he’s the real deal. Time will tell.

Hopefully this puts all the Hastie chat to bed. It’s getting tedious. 

As much as I rate the lad it’s clear he really doesn’t want to be here and we are essentially his last option. 

From what I’ve heard it was signed fully this week with Rangers. Deal is done and dusted. Fair play, he will be on loan down south next season. 

No sour grapes but I wouldn’t have him anywhere near the starting 11 now. 

17 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

You asked where he'd play. In my view it's there. Not suggesting he gets a start tomorrow or the rest of the season tbf. That's where I see him suited to our team just now.

The rest of the post I have no comment on.

And I was just saying why I don't think he's a winger.

16 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Did we ever see him in the first place ? The whole thing ended up being simply bizarre.

around 50 appearances for your club , strange question.

Good luck to the man sorting out his problems,

• David locked this topic