2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

One slight positive we can take from Hastie's mooted move to Rangers, and indeed the McKinstry move to Leeds, is that it does re-inforce the strength and potential of our Academy; both for younger players on our books who we are seeking to retain or those we want to bring to the club.

Whilst it warms the heart to read of players who, when they come through say it was the height of their boyhood ambitions to play for Motherwell, there will be countless parents of kids out there for whom Motherwell will be viewed as but a stepping stone for their laddie on his way to the top.

These two might not have gone for the sums or at the times of our choosing but it does enable to clearly demonstrate the pathway through to our Academy.

"Oh you're considering an offer for your son from Aberdeen.  That's fine but only this summer two of our Academy players have moved to one of the Old Firm and one to an English Premiership side (maybe...) and three were involved in Scotland U21's." 

Not every club can say that when pitching for talent.

18 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I would agree with regards to the one trick pony stuff, but given his physical attributes and how direct he is a bit of decent coaching could turn him into a real top player.

Exactly. He made an impact in his first few games, and then coaches and players worked him out. How he reacts to that will determine how good a player he becomes. If he can work out how to handle two-man marking and full backs trying to keep him out wide, then he can undoubtedly go on to bigger and better things. 

If not, then he might struggle.

That's why I think he'd have benefited from another season of first team football with us. You can't beat playing against first team defenders in competitive games to gain that kind of experience.

2 hours ago, DEWELL said:

I dont want him back on loan from Sevco. No thanks not in a million years. Maybe if he'd went to the likes of Crystal Palace in England but not now.

Not just Hastie - I don't think in general that loans between teams in the same division should ever be allowed.

• Like 1

Lookin at last performance without hastie. We will be in trouble if we dont find talent soon. Not had a midfield goalscorer for years. Serious moves need to be made. Polworth seen as luxury from many ict support. Not many goals frm him though mant assists. Though we dont have striker to take his assists.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I hate the "short career" stuff.

They can get back into work after 35, down another path.

Agreed. Drives me fucking mental.  Players act like when they retire their life is over. 

That whole line is an utter lot of shite. There’s that many jobs in football also that go to ex players. It’s just an excuse to justify the wages.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Agreed. Drives me fucking mental.  Players act like when they retire their life is over. 

That whole line is an utter lot of shite. There’s that many jobs in football also that go to ex players. It’s just an excuse to justify the wages.

Most are very stupid though and would struggle to work in mcdonalds. Lol not many intelectual footballers out there.

Tweets kind of prove that. There is exceptions though not many. No offence to mcdonald workers!

Hastie may regret move. He has been coached by well since age 10. Then moves? Hows his character?He wont get same time at sevco to proove himself. As well had quoted he scored few goals in lower leagues. Hes also at club that has LARGE sectarian element. Also has at least 2 established wingers in front of him. He will need all the luck in world.

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I would agree with regards to the one trick pony stuff, but given his physical attributes and how direct he is a bit of decent coaching could turn him into a real top player.

I always thought that Arjen Robben was a bit of a one trick pony i.e. come inside on to left foot for shot; but he was very good at it and has made a superb career out of it. Not saying Jake is anywhere close, but it shows that being predictable doesn’t mean you can stop him doing it, if he gets very good at it.

For Scotland’s sake, I hope he goes on to have a good  career. We can be proud that he was made in Motherwell. Just a shame it is going to be with The Rangers.

2 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I always thought that Arjen Robben was a bit of a one trick pony i.e. come inside on to left foot for shot; but he was very good at it and has made a superb career out of it. Not saying Jake is anywhere close, but it shows that being predictable doesn’t mean you can stop him doing it, if he gets very good at it.

For Scotland’s sake, I hope he goes on to have a good  career. We can be proud that he was made in Motherwell. Just a shame it is going to be with The Rangers.

He was already getting less effective in truth, certainly the better teams had him sussed and he last few performances were not great. With the right coaching he could develop further for sure but he certainly has a way to go.

I didn't think the fee thing was really up for debate. It's the rules, is it not? And not just Scottish rules that Sevco's pals can dismiss, but proper rules, am I right?

It's like saying you want to buy a player, being told the fee, and just saying "nope, we'll not pay that." You either pay the fucking fee, or you don't get the player.

39 minutes ago, David said:

I didn't think the fee thing was really up for debate. It's the rules, is it not? And not just Scottish rules that Sevco's pals can dismiss, but proper rules, am I right?

Correct. I think I'm right in saying that the clubs can agree a fee, or it will go to tribunal when they'll be told a fee, and that'll be the end of it. If the Ferguson one is anything to go by, it'll be dealt with reasonably quickly. 

See also: Lewis Ferguson, Charlie Telfer and most enjoyably: Damian Casalinuovo

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Correct. I think I'm right in saying that the clubs can agree a fee, or it will go to tribunal when they'll be told a fee, and that'll be the end of it. If the Ferguson one is anything to go by, it'll be dealt with reasonably quickly. 

See also: Lewis Ferguson, Charlie Telfer and most enjoyably: Damian Casalinuovo

My understanding is if fee cannot be agreed then 50% of the difference between the valuations is added to the lower fee and is deposited with SFA 

Eg Rangers valuation £150k  Motherwell valuation £750k  difference = £600 therefore £300k added to £150k would mean Rangers having too deposit £450k with SFA which is closer to our valuation of compensation. It also means we would get our money up front and not be in instalments as I’m sure Rangers would like to do. 

When tribunal makes a valuation for the player if it’s under the £450k we would have to pay the interest on the difference and likewise if it’s over £450k Rangers would have to pay us the interest on the difference 

This to my mind is why Jake has not signed on the dotted line Rangers and Hastie can agree personal term but he cannot sign until Rangers deposit the money with SFA money I don’t think that they have to hand. 

Here’s hoping the club stands their ground and don’t give in !!!!

He can't sign with Rangers because he's under contract at Fir Park. They made him a great offer and we let him enter the final six months of his deal without any offer.

We release boys every year and no one blinks an eye. No one is worrying about where Kyle McDonald or Jason Krones will be next season. It's a lopsided deal with a lot of fans: if the boys are good they owe us a few years but if they aren't first team material they are quickly forgotten.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

We release boys every year and no one blinks an eye. No one is worrying about where Kyle McDonald or Jason Krones will be next season. It's a lopsided deal with a lot of fans: if the boys are good they owe us a few years but if they aren't first team material they are quickly forgotten.

Not often I find myself agreeing with you, but you're bang on here. The number of times I've read about Hastie showing a lack of loyalty and respect is insane. 

The club do what they do for these lads because they believe there'll be a payoff at the end of it, be it a transfer fee or in performances for the club. They don't do it out of loyalty to the player, so why should the player feel obliged to return the favour?

It's business, nothing more. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He can't sign with Rangers because he's under contract at Fir Park. They made him a great offer and we let him enter the final six months of his deal without any offer.

Oh yes he can he can sign PCA just as Declan Gallagher and Liam Pawlett have done with us ……… only difference is there is a development fee involved so he cannot sign PCA until fee is agreed with us or they deposit money with SFA

• David locked this topic