2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

Why are we benching him and not any of the other players that wont be with us next season?

We might well do.  The management know more than we do about contract negotiations and may choose to select players who could be leaving as oppopsed to those, like Hastie, who are definitely leaving.  The lad himself could be subject to some barracking from the support that other players may not be. That, also, could be a factor, as could attitude and form.  

46 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I do however feel that he led our fans up the garden path a bit with his public quote that he wanted to stay at Fir Park and hoped to sign within the next fortnight.  That was before his head was turned. 

If it really was before his head was turned, then he probably really was expecting to re-sign at that point. The fact that he expected it to take another fortnight suggests some degree of negotiation was already in progress, though, which isn't usually a sign of someone who's desperate to stay.

Getting bored now,  I bear no ill feeling to Jake even though I feel for his own career he has been a bit...... ahem.....Hastie in moving on.    If he makes an appearance tomorrow I hope fans don't boo him.    Sorry but if any of us were offered say at least 5 times our salary we would all take it.  personally I am more pleased that we have Turnbull on long term contract....COYW

If the development fee increases with the number of appearances he has then bring him on for the last few minutes. I am sure the club will be aware if another four appearances will affect the fee. I want that horrible Glasgow club to pay as much as we can screw out of them and we should leave them no wriggle room in the negotiations. I would not trust them to play fair with us.

On his decision to leave I think he and his agent has realised that his star will never be higher and they should cash in now. Contrast that with Turnbull. He for me is the real deal and he knows that he will get better and will get a big move in a year or so. Not so confident that Jake would get a move like this one if he were to stay another year. Teams have worked him out. I remember seeing Levein going mad at Berra when Jake cut inside and scored against Hearts. Levein was pointing at his right leg as if to say you should have kept him on that side. and that is what most teams have done since his form has dipped. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Yassin said:

Hastie's shite, never rated him and glad he's leaving us. Also, would be an absolute joke if we get any less than £500k for him, Hastie's a top player and we should demand top dollar from Sevco.

Make yer mind up he's either shite or a top player 

For me, today, if we have someone who would benefit playing in the Hastie position instead of him I'd play them and not Hastie (i.e. another young player or even an out of contract player who is still considering options but definitely hasn't said no yet like Hastie has). But only for those reasons, rather than out of spite for the fact he has signed for Rangers. Otherwise I'd play him as he can still be an asset in the push for 7th.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yassin said:

Hastie's shite, never rated him and glad he's leaving us. Also, would be an absolute joke if we get any less than £500k for him, Hastie's a top player and we should demand top dollar from Sevco.

Obviously when a club loses a player there is often a talking down of his ability and yes that is happening to Hastie to a degree. It is however pretty obvious at this point in his development that he tends to cut inside on just about every occasion when given the chance and if he can’t do that he’s a heck of a lot less effective as we have all seen. The last two or three games he’s actually being pretty poor showing only small flashes and has being rightly subbed, whether that’s down to the potential move or clubs knowing how to nullify him is open to debate.  That was actually pointed out well before it looked like he would probably be signing for Rangers. He has potential, but at this point how much he develops is still open to debate for me. Rangers supporters certainly won’t tolerate poor performances and will turn on him pretty quickly.

Yeah, it was there for every coach to see after the goal at St. Mirren and Levein's comments after his goal against Hearts confirmed that. 

But we will always have those goals to look back on no matter what he does in the future (particularly that St. Mirren goal which is our goal of the season for me).

Really disappointed that Hastie is leaving. Even more so that he is going to the dead club. I cant blame the boy for having his head turned. The salary increase involved will be substantial and he will view it as a chance to raise his profile even further. I dont know if he is a Rangers fan but that would also be a consideration.

Obviously, as a Motherwell fan, I think he would have benefitted from a full season in our first team and might have got an even bigger move if he had stayed with us for a year or two. However, players have to way up money now vs future potential in the knowledge that it can all be wiped out with one tackle.

I dont bare Jake any ill will. He has made an informed choice. However, I dont think he should play again this season unless absolutely necessary. We wont learn anything from keeping him in the team and, if last week is anything to go by, the atmosphere will become increasingly ugly anytime he touches the ball. We can do without that sideshow when we are trying to secure 7th place and the extra cash that goes with it.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Fairhill said:

Defence on holiday today!

And Gorrin joining them after being sent off for a second yellow (both justified, unfortunately).

I think the defence must have a few quid on Accies going down.

EDIT: Suckered by Fairhill into posting in the wrong thread. Well played, my friend. Well played.

• David locked this topic