2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

51 minutes ago, postiejim said:

If we go back to the  352 formation they can stick it , football has been great of late but I’m waiting till the transfer window closes before I decide on renewing my season ticket.  I’d rather nail ma baws tae the floor than go along and watch hoofball again.

You don't need to justify your reasons for renewing your season ticket to me or anybody but waiting until the end of August before deciding to whether you renew or not seems a little odd.  As you allude to in your post the transformation in style of play and enjoyment levels can be marked within the same season.  Who's to say you renew at the end of August after a great start and it all turns to shit? Or a rebuilt team takes a few months to gel on goes on to have a storming campaign but you've missed out.  Just seems a slightly odd barometer on which to decide.

Each to their own though of course.

I get what you're saying about the football too but some of the best football I've ever seen Motherwell play in my lifetime was playing a 3-5-2 formation under Tommy McLean and was packed with "footballers" like Martin, Krivokapic, O'Donnell, Lambert and Coyne.  Maybe the players and style of play is more important than the formation itself?

If we go back to the  352 formation they can stick it , football has been great of late but I’m waiting till the transfer window closes before I decide on renewing my season ticket.  I’d rather nail ma baws tae the floor than go along and watch hoofball again.
Glad we won't all adopt that attitude....can't get my head round that reasoning. Many reasons why folks might not renew a season ticket but thats a corker.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, postiejim said:

Getting to watch a quality player like David Turnbull is worth the season ticket money alone

• Like 3

Turnbulls contract is probably as good as anyone at the club, but I hope there is internal talk to get the lad properly paid which might be enough to get an extra year on his deal and keep him in our jersey for another full year. Turnbull is once in a generation for us and we will get a return on him,  I just hope we get to enjoy him some more.

All the positive headlines and then type of wages getting paid for Hastie for instance, you couldn't blame Turnbull if he gets itchy feet at some point and wants his taste of the bigger £££!! 

I'm sure we were putting a package together for Moult 18 months ago, it's a no brainer to do it for Turnbull. 

Heard Craigan getting put on the spot on BTSport today and he said at least a million to land him. Robinson said more like the money paid for John McGinn. Who knows, but think Robinson is much closer to what I think. 

• Like 1

On 27 April 2019 at 9:45 PM, Goggles & Flippers said:

So in his pre-match interview Robbo mentioned 1 player offered lower terms based on appearances, 2 offered the same money and 3 offered improvements. Anyone know who's who?

I assumed McHugh for reduced, Frear and Main for same and Cadds, Gorrin and Aldred (is he free this summer from Bury?)

Sadly Johnson released as I don't think he did anything wrong other than need to play with a strike partner.

Heard yesterday that we have offered Aldred an improved deal.........but he's off back down south at 4 times what we have offered him

Certainly going to be an interesting summer. 

For all there have been a lot of positives recently, there is still a large amount of dead wood in and around the squad which needs to be cleared; with wages hopefully freed. That in combination with players out of contract, It’s going to be a busy summer. 

Whilst I was never really a McCall fan at all, I think that the one thing he got almost spot on, was the mentality of quality over quantity, which I hope Robinson will finally start to utilise. 

From the out of contact players, I’m hoping that we manage to sign on Cadden and Gorrin again however the others, for me, are a Little bit of good riddance (Newell, Sammon, Donnelly etc) and thanks but no thanks (McHugh, Frear, Tanner). 

Assuming that Gallagher and Dunne will be the centre Half pairing next year with McGuire as back up, we’re still missing that elusive left back, unlesss of a miraculous step up from livingston. 

‘Based on the resignings above, and the introduction of polworth, I’d imagine we’re well covered in central midfield with Campbell and Turnbull (both of whom need to be offered improve/extended terms asap). Aryibi is going to take some replacing and likely another wingers as cover.

Up front, we’re seriosly needing quality. I’m assuming Johnson and Main will be offloaded and if we’re to continuing playing 1 up top with Scott playing his first full season next season, we’re desperatly short of 2 quality bodies. 

If if we can make the two resignings, I’d imagine we’d be looking at 5 players, hopefully of quality coming in with 12 or so heading out. 

Whilst it’d see us running with a smaller squad, we’d still be looking at 2 great keeper options, (should Carson get back into fitness) Grimshaw, McGuire, Livingston, Polworth, a winger, Scott and new striker all waiting in reserve.  Argument could also be made for an additional attacking midfielder and central Defense/ defensive midfield cover...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Renew your season ticket Jim and it will help to bring in a better calibre of player.

I’d love to see the numbers at games raise a little higher, not great knowing we fill less than half the capacity. 3.3k home fans is pretty poor for a usual Saturday 3pm kick off, especially with all the hype about the team. Yeh end of the season nothing to play for etc. However, I actually thought the fans were quite loud cheering and singing wise for a change instead of just the Well Bois.

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

‘Based on the resignings above, and the introduction of polworth, I’d imagine we’re well covered in central midfield with Campbell and Turnbull (both of whom need to be offered improve/extended terms asap).

Decent post. I don't know if we are though.  Its quite possible that of those "signed" so far only Polworth and Campbell will be with us. 

48 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I’d love to see the numbers at games raise a little higher, not great knowing we fill less than half the capacity. 3.3k home fans is pretty poor for a usual Saturday 3pm kick off, especially with all the hype about the team. Yeh end of the season nothing to play for etc. However, I actually thought the fans were quite loud cheering and singing wise for a change instead of just the Well Bois.

The attendance was low but our attendances after the split have always dropped off a cliff. I thought some of the football we played, particularly first half, was tremendous to watch and it looked as the players were really enjoying themselves. Considering it was fairly meaningless, they are a joy to watch at times. 

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts. If, hopefully, Trevor Carson comes back fit and able, we will be in a position of having two first team keepers which is probably one too many for a club our size. I doubt that we would be able to get much of a fee for either but moving one on would free up a wage. I also cannot see either of them being happy to warm the bench for too long. Maybe one for January rather than immediately.

Depending on who we can get to resign, I think it is likely that there will be a fair turnaround in our squad. I can see the newcomers being split into two categories- proven professionals who should hit the ground running and young players, mainly from within the club, who will get their chance when ready. In the second category I would include the likes of Mbulu, Maguire, Livingstone, Semple and Scott. Some of these may benefit from a loan period away from the club to get genuine first team experience. We have brought in two players with plenty of experience already. If we lose Cadden, Frear, Main, McHugh, Johnson and Gorrin together with the guys on loan, we suddenly look to have serious holes in the squad. There will be a fair bit of cash freed up in terms of wages and some money eventually from development fees for Cadden and Hastie, but it will be quite a job. We do have a few senior professionals who have not been part of the game plan in recent months, the likes of Hartley and Donnelly. The question that has to be asked is, do they have a future at Fir Park? I wouldn't discount their chances completely, but they have to either prove their worth or manoeuvred out to save cash and create space for those that do have a future.

Based on how Cadden has been performing in his last few games I would LOVE to keep him. Has looked superb.

Perfect scenario would be that next season we line up as follows:

GK - Gillespie

DL - Tait

CB - Dunne

CB - Gallagher / Maguire / Mbulu

DR - Grimshaw

MC - Turnbull

MC - Campbell

MC - Gorrin

AML - Cadden

AMR - Semple

CF - Scott

But in reality it will probably be:

GK - Gillespie

DL - Tait

CB - Dunne

DR - Grimshaw

MC - Fane

MC - Campbell

MC - Gorrin

AML - Tanner

AMR - Semple

CF - Scott

I think this summer we will be waving goodbye to the following:

Turnbull, Cadden, Frear, Aldred, Sammon, Hartley, Johnson, McHugh, Newell and Main.

Maybe even Campbell if the right offer comes in.

25 minutes ago, johnstone said:

But in reality it will probably be:

GK - Gillespie

DL - Tait

CB - Dunne

DR - Grimshaw

MC - Fane

MC - Campbell

MC - Gorrin

AML - Tanner

AMR - Semple

CF - Scott

Don't see Tanner featuring but Polworth might fit in somewhere there. Have seen worse starting elevens for us. Balance of the midfield isn't right but if Cadden, McHugh and Turnbull all leave you have to figure that we'd make at least one signing in that area.

With a few players probably leaving, I reckon there will be some room in the budget for signing at least one winger, maybe two...

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If Turnbull leaves then would need to be huge bid before we seriously consider any bid.   McGinn went for £4,000,000 to Villa and Aberdeen incredibly turned down £6 million for McKenna

It’s a good problem to have, but do you take a good offer if it comes in, or hold out in the hope of getting the benefit of him in the team and/or getting more later?

Realistically we need to sell him by next summer or his value drops off a cliff as his contract will be in its last year.

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Don't see Tanner featuring but Polworth might fit in somewhere there. Have seen worse starting elevens for us. Balance of the midfield isn't right but if Cadden, McHugh and Turnbull all leave you have to figure that we'd make at least one signing in that area.

With a few players probably leaving, I reckon there will be some room in the budget for signing at least one winger, maybe two...

Is Polworth really going to fit into the first team? I looked at him as a squad player at the very most.

3 minutes ago, wellowell said:

Perfect scenario for me in regards to Turnbull is we get a big offer from down south and they loan him back to us fir a season to help him develop happens all the time with big clubs . 

Perfect scenario for me is he stays at the club and becomes a key member of the famous 2023 Premiership winning squad.

• Like 4

A third pre-contract agreed, this one for Jake Carroll, an Irish left back from Cambridge Utd. Seems a not bad signing on paper given he's got Europa League experiences and a 6 figure transfer fee.

We're fair getting our business done early!

• David locked this topic