2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Here's a question for anyone who may know more about these things than I do.

If and when Cadden goes this summer, are we due any compensation payment for him? I saw that Burrows had said in his newspaper interview regarding Hastie's contract situation that  “I’ve made sure that even if we do lose players like Jake, we won’t lose them for nothing.

“How you do that is by making certain their contracts expire on or before the season of their 22nd birthday. If you do that then you will receive compensation."

So, Cadden turned 22 in September of last year according to what I can see, and his deal is up at the end of May this year.

I remember a while back there was talk of £600,000 in developmental fees being due if & when he left, but I've heard nothing the past few months, which is strange.

Anyone know?

Just now, ropy said:

I assume if Cadden signs on and does well for the next 2 or 3 years that would be deemed a good return from our academy or is it all about money?

Obviously it would be ideal if he signed a new deal, but I'm just wondering if he walks away for bugger all this summer, or if we're due some sort of developmental fee? I swear I can recall people talking about us being due one a while back?

Just for a little balance I asked my mate who is a big CU fan for his thoughts on Carroll. He is a level headed guy who has a balanced view on most things so I trust his judgement. This is what he said.....

"I quite like him, but that might be because when my boy was a mascot for CU last year Carroll was the player he walked out with. Instead of just ignoring him, he spoke to my boy asking him lots of questions, and was just really friendly. Must admit that this season has been shocking for Cambridge United, and we could well have been relegated out of the league, we were lucky that there were three teams below us who were even worse! Whenever I saw Carroll play I always liked him, but must admit the last month or so he hasn't played that much, perhaps that was because they knew he was leaving."

So it appears he was a decent spud who did a decent job but CU have been shit this year and he hasnt played much and is leaving. Given the experience of our own support (see Jake Hastie) it might explain why so many CU fans are angry and lashing out. 

Why dont we wait and see what he is like? Give the boy a chance.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Just for a little balance I asked my mate who is a big CU fan for his thoughts on Carroll. He is a level headed guy who has a balanced view on most things so I trust his judgement. This is what he said.....

"I quite like him, but that might be because when my boy was a mascot for CU last year Carroll was the player he walked out with. Instead of just ignoring him, he spoke to my boy asking him lots of questions, and was just really friendly. Must admit that this season has been shocking for Cambridge United, and we could well have been relegated out of the league, we were lucky that there were three teams below us who were even worse! Whenever I saw Carroll play I always liked him, but must admit the last month or so he hasn't played that much, perhaps that was because they knew he was leaving."

So it appears he was a decent spud who did a decent job but CU have been shit this year and he hasnt played much and is leaving. Given the experience of our own support (see Jake Hastie) it might explain why so many CU fans are angry and lashing out. 

Why dont we wait and see what he is like? Give the boy a chance.....

You have to give anyone that comes a chance if you look at alot of our signings hardly set the heather on fire but had alot of success. Kipre hardly kicked a ball and look at how that story ended.What doesn't work at one club might be amazing at another.

• Like 1

Just been sent this from current bun associate.....

From Rangers News ,Rangers must pounce on move for Motherwell talent David Turnball

Motherwell youngster David Turnbull is a name some Scottish football fans are only starting to get familiar with.

But there’s no doubt that this young talent has the potential to be a household name in the coming years. Still only 19, the creative midfield talent plays like someone several years his senior.

Comfortable on the ball, a leader on the park and with the ability to chip in with goals, he is someone Rangers must be seriously considering investing in.

And the club must do it soon, before anyone else does. After all, the form of David Turnbull is bound to be turning heads down south.

Turnbull, who earned comparisons to Germany legend Michael Ballack at the weekend, has been electric this season.

His 12 goals in 27 games from midfield have everyone paying attention. Turnbull has also scored all manner of goals – inside the box, outside the box, free kicks, penalties.

4 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Motherwell youngster David Turnbull is a name some Scottish football fans are only starting to get familiar with.

That's obvious, considering the idiots called him Liam Turnbull in the article header.

Screenshot 2019-05-01 at 13.50.24.png

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m hoping that being a Motherwell supporter and seemingly level headed, Turnbull will not entertain Rangers and wait for a better offer from down south. 

Thankfully he's not 'open to offers' - the club is mind you and I doubt that "Der h*n" will even be close to the teams bidding for his services.

2 hours ago, Yassin said:

Not sure Cadden would have many takers at £600k tbh

Unfortunately not now after his time out due to injury this season but if he leaves for nothing we will have at least had a couple of good years out of him and he’s played a big part in our  campaigns which could be argued is worth more than his development fee. 

I would expect Cadden to be here next  season.  If we are due development fee I cannot see a club matching the 600k we expected when Hearts showed  interest  last year and he has since become  a full international so we  may be looking for  even more.  A two year deal and a return  to form and injury free and we might  get  a decent fee in the future  but not 600k +.

48 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not exactly a glowing statement is it? A bit abrupt and no thank you.

I get the feeling he may have annoyed a few people at the club Dave, by all this will he stay or go nonsense, but in my opinion we secured the better prospect by resigning Turnbull.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I get the feeling he may have annoyed a few people at the club Dave, by all this will he stay or go nonsense, but in my opinion we secured the better prospect by resigning Turnbull.

Turnbull and Semple I'd say.

Any further comments regarding Hastie should be in the former players thread. The wording of the official statement suggests that he has annoyed a few people with his actions over his move. 

As an aside, I sincerely hope that, as a club, dealing with any player, we act with honesty and respect and look to achieve what is in the best long term interests for both parties.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The African said:

Any further comments regarding Hastie should be in the former players thread. The wording of the official statement suggests that he has annoyed a few people with his actions over his move. 

As an aside, I sincerely hope that, as a club, dealing with any player, we act with honesty and respect and look to achieve what is in the best long term interests for both parties.

He (or most likely his agent) managed to annoy Rangers and us. That's why they initially pulled the plug.

The cynic in me wonders if Hastie would have been listed for Young Player of the Year if he had stayed at Fir Park. No doubt he had a fantastic hot streak, but I thought this award should be judged over the full season.

Can we please stop talking about a player who has now signed for another club? This is the rebuild thread. Lets talk about that.

I for one would be delighted to see Cadden sign on for another 2 years. Like others Im not sure there would be many takers at £600k given his recent form and injury.

However, he has looked better since his return and he is a full international now. (Cant help thinking his endeavours last summer and subsequent form/injury might have been linked. Remember Alan Campbells form dropped off after playing in The Toulon tournament ). 

If he stays, and goes for free in 2 years we will at least have got some value from him in the playing sense. Whether it equates to £600k would depend on our league position. However, he is tried and tested at our level so far less of a risk than trying to find a replacement of equal/better quality.

15 hours ago, sinjy said:

I would expect Cadden to be here next  season.  If we are due development fee I cannot see a club matching the 600k we expected when Hearts showed  interest  last year and he has since become  a full international so we  may be looking for  even more. 

What happens if the player doesn't want to sign a contract offered by his club, but no one wants to match the development fee valuation?

• David locked this topic