2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

Of course you can never be 100% certain, but just from his comments on the MFC TV stream at the weekend, it sounds like Tanner expects to be with us next season.

Excellent. The lad deserves a change in his luck. A fit Tanner will be like a new signing, given the time he has been out. Hopefully he can recapture the form we saw glimpses of before the injuries!

I expect both Aldred and McHugh to leave at the end of their contracts.  Just part of a bigger rebuilding exercise.  The important thing is that they let the club know their intentions as soon as possible.

Robinson has been good at moving on players who haven’t been featuring in previous windows.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are clubs down south willing to offer Johnson, Hartley and Donnelly similar terms to what they have with us and allow us to free up budget. 

McHugh is a solid and useful player, I’d be happy if he stayed.  It seems we’ve offered extensions to Frear and Main too but can’t say I’m keen to see them stay. 

Without Hastie and possibly Turnbull next season we’ll need to sign some goal scorers. 

53 minutes ago, gee said:

McHugh is a solid and useful player, I’d be happy if he stayed.  It seems we’ve offered extensions to Frear and Main too but can’t say I’m keen to see them stay. 

Without Hastie and possibly Turnbull next season we’ll need to sign some goal scorers. 

If we could get back the Main of last winter into spring I’d be delighted if he signed, the Main we’ve seen this season, not so much.

Can see James Scott getting a lot more game time next season, unless we bring in someone better?

15 minutes ago, The African said:

Losing both Aldred and McHugh would highlight the elephant in the room - what, currently, does Peter Hartley offer the first team squad?

I didn’t realise he hadn’t appeared since Ross County cup game in January.

According to soccerbase he didn’t play at all the 2nd half of last season either, is that right?

I like him, but if he’s not injured, whys he not playing (or why is he here?).

Were there not a couple of games where we've had to bring a defender off the bench and Robinson has gone with McHugh?  I don't remember the specific game but I remember thinking it said a lot about where the club captain was in the pecking order. 

With the signing of Gallagher and Robinson stating he expects Maguire to be competing for a first team place next season, you have to figure that Hartley is likely to be fourth choice at best next season. Obviously if McHugh, Donnelly and Mbulu move on then we don't have a lot of cover there but you'd have to think that Hartley is earning a fair amount for a fourth choice centre half. Probably in the club's best interests to try and move him on...

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

McHugh is versatile and Aldred has been steady this season.

Losing both of them would leave us weaker in central defence.

Gallagher seems to be very highly thought of and is exceptionally good in the air; quick too. Defensive midfield could be improved from this season. Our defence this year could have been better and ourgoals against record this term could be improved somewhat

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

If we could get back the Main of last winter into spring I’d be delighted if he signed, the Main we’ve seen this season, not so much.

I think that'll come down to how he's asked to play by Robinson. Since the turn of the year he's been asked to do a lot of the dirty work that helped free up the likes of Hastie and Turnbull to get in among the goals.

He's done well in that position, but he's not anywhere near good enough a player to play that kind of game and still hit the net. It's either or with him I think.

3 hours ago, The African said:

Losing both Aldred and McHugh would highlight the elephant in the room - what, currently, does Peter Hartley offer the first team squad?

He just doesnt seem to have recovered fully from the injury he suffered last season. He had enough game time in the first half of the season to get match sharp but always looked off the pace. Also didnt provide anywhere near the goal threat at set pieces that we had come to expect. Real shame because the Pete Hartley that we saw for the first 6 months he was here was awesome.

37 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He just doesnt seem to have recovered fully from the injury he suffered last season. He had enough game time in the first half of the season to get match sharp but always looked off the pace. Also didnt provide anywhere near the goal threat at set pieces that we had come to expect. Real shame because the Pete Hartley that we saw for the first 6 months he was here was awesome.

What’s his contract situation?

Would love to see him back involved if he can rediscover the form of his 1st 6 months (much like I said about Main).

33 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Lewis Macleod released by Brentford, surely have much bigger suitors than us but someone well worth looking at, fits the bill of injured and getting his career back on track.

If we could afford him that would be a tremendous signing but I fully expect him to rock up to one of the Edinburgh duo or Aberdeen. He’s a class act. 

14 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

If we could afford him that would be a tremendous signing but I fully expect him to rock up to one of the Edinburgh duo or Aberdeen. He’s a class act. 

yeah I have to agree with you, I've even seen a few rangers fans mention him so I reckon we would no doubt fall way below of what he is expecting. saying that he has only managed 43 games in 4.5 years so maybe clubs won't be as willing to take the risk.

As it stands, I'd say our team for next year is currently (based on signed players and everyone fit):

Gillespie; Tait, Gallagher, Dunne, Carroll; Tanner, Grimshaw, Campbell, Turnbull, Polworth; Scott

Subs: Carson, Maguire, Hartley, Livingstone, Fane, Semple, Johnson

As for out of contract players, these are my thoughts on who will sign on again / be freed:

Peter Morrison - Freed
Tom Aldred - Away
Christian Mbulu - 1 year deal
Shaun Bowers - Freed
Carl McHugh - Away
Chris Cadden - 2 year deal
Elliott Frear - Away
Gboly Ariyibi - Back on Loan?
Alejandro Rodriguez Gorrin - Away
Shea Gordon - Freed
Craig Tanner - 1 year deal
Liam Brown - Freed
Kyle McDonald - 1 year deal
Broque Watson - Freed
Curtis Main - Away
George Newell - Freed
Conor Sammon - Away

Neil McLaughlin - Freed

Thoughts?

Liam Brown is highly rated amongst the coaching staff, they prevented a loan move to get him involved in the first team but he picked up an injury so i reckon he will get an extra year.

Shea Gordon, again well thought off, got a loan move to partick, started well and got a horrible injury, however has played the last few games and scored a couple of crucial goals for them, again probably an extra year.

Broque watson, I reckon will also get an extra year, he seems quite bright whenever I have seen him. How he is fairing at East fife though I have no idea.

Gorrin, I hope you are wrong and he stays.

Ariybi, again I hope we manage to wangle a deal whether it be on loan or permanent.

Peter Morrison, by all accounts had a very good season at a piss poor Albion rovers, few player of the month awards however I think he is well down the pecking order and is it at that point in his career where he needs to be playing week in week out.

The rest I tend to agree with.

Sounds like there are rumblings from a number of clubs about the weaknesses of the Reserve League - pretty much along the lines of what Craigan said in his exit interview. 

If they do change the structure again it might have an impact on how we manage some of the younger players.

14 hours ago, weeyin said:

Sounds like there are rumblings from a number of clubs about the weaknesses of the Reserve League - pretty much along the lines of what Craigan said in his exit interview. 

If they do change the structure again it might have an impact on how we manage some of the younger players.

Aye, I was curious what our stance would be on this. If Rangers, Celtic and St Johnstone aren't taking part in it, and the argument was that it isn't competitive enough, surely a collection of teams pulling out would exacerbate that further?

• David locked this topic