2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

I suspect rangers will revert back to playing teams from england and europe in elite friendlies as opposed to the reserves league, and I reckon Celtic will probably follow suit but I wonder what St Johnstone will do, or any clubs outwith the old firm because surely the money isn't there to accomodate travel to these games on a weekly basis, and if they weren't on a weekly basis surely that would damage development more so than the current model.

I base this on admittedly not knowing much about how they would go about it but does anyone know/have ideas on an alternative method?

Conspiracy theory here.  There  is a report on the  BBC sport  Scotland site suggesting there  is a plan to increase the Championship to 12 teams and one way of increasing  the teams in the league to 44 would be to  add two colt teams.  I wonder who they would be. 

3 minutes ago, sinjy said:

Conspiracy theory here.  There  is a report on the  BBC sport  Scotland site suggesting there  is a plan to increase the Championship to 12 teams and one way of increasing  the teams in the league to 44 would be to  add two colt teams.  I wonder who they would be. 

Posted that in other football, earlier in the week and my thoughts were the same as yours as to who that would be.

On another note I am seeing a post on FB that Doncaster and interested in Cadden.

40 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

On another note I am seeing a post on FB that Doncaster and interested in Cadden.

If the compensation we'd be due is even close to what I've seen touted (£600,000) then I'm not sure Doncaster are in a position to pay it. I could be wrong, but haven't they mainly been picking up free transfers and suchlike the past two or three years?

Paper speculation is a funny thing and should be taking with a pinch of salt.  Last week the Mirror had Athletic Club signing Mata which is actually impossible for them to do even if it was the only Club Mata ever wanted to play for.

Saying that, I'd piss myself laughing if Main signed for either of them.  

3 minutes ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Saying that, I'd piss myself laughing if Main signed for either of them.  

I would be shocked if either of them would be interested. I like Main, however, he is no Louis Moult in the goal scoring stakes and I suspect both these sides will be looking for a goal scorer.

I'm not fussed about whether or not we retain Main's services.  I suspect that Robbo would fancy a change up front as we don't appear to have made re-signing him a priority.  I think he'll g back down south as Aberdeen and Hearts won't  be able to match the wages on offer there.  Although not a prolific scorer, he seems to fit the kind of physical striker  that both sides favour (apologies to Richard and Willie).

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC gossip...

Aberdeen and Hearts have made offers to Motherwell striker Curtis Main, who will be a free agent at the end of the season. (Daily Express, print edition)

Two absolutely honking stone age hoofball teams. Seems like a good fit for them.

Hearing today that both McHugh and Gorrin are definitley offski; the latter wasn't even on the team bus. 

Also Adam Livingstone has a great opportunity to take over the left back slot next season - take out of that what you will. 

Adam Livingstone has a great chance because, with the make up of the squad as it stands for next season, it is between him and Jake Carroll for the left back spot and this season has convinced the management that it is worthwhile giving youth a chance. It is now up to him to go and take the opportunity. Good luck to the lad.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Hearing today that both McHugh and Gorrin are definitley offski; the latter wasn't even on the team bus. 

Also Adam Livingstone has a great opportunity to take over the left back slot next season - take out of that what you will. 

Why's he not been playing these end of season matches then?

Especially as Tait has been poor recently.

I'd like to see him get a chance but I'd rather he got game time now than going into a new season not knowing if he can step up.

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I'd like to see him get a chance but I'd rather he got game time now than going into a new season not knowing if he can step up.

The only valid argument I can come up with is that Robinson did not want experiment too much when seventh place was still up for grabs. As it is, I agree with you that he should have been given a couple of starts since the split.

As I see it we have...

Gillespie

Gallagher

Turnbull

Campbell

That's who's good enough to go into next season as stick on first choice players.  Perhaps there are other players in the squad that can join that group, maybe Tait goes back to right back, or Polworth comes in and does a job but that remains to be seen.

Right now we have 4 proven players.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

As I see it we have...

Gillespie

Gallagher

Turnbull

Campbell

That's who's good enough to go into next season as stick on first choice players.  Perhaps there are other players in the squad that can join that group, maybe Tait goes back to right back, or Polworth comes in and does a job but that remains to be seen.

Right now we have 4 proven players.

A fair summing up.  Add to those names, that of Barry Maguire who may also pass muster but thats an unknown as yet. 

Tait, Dunne and Grimshaw are part of next season's equation. They may not be the complete players that we crave but they have shown in the past that they are more than capable of playing at our level. The key is playing them in the right position with the right players and in the best system to bring out the best in them. Do that, and we hopefully get the best out of these players on a consistent basis. There is a substantial rebuilding job ahead, so no point making it more difficult by just discounting some of the assets already in the squad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The African said:

Tait, Dunne and Grimshaw are part of next season's equation. They may not be the complete players that we crave but they have shown in the past that they are more than capable of playing at our level. The key is playing them in the right position with the right players and in the best system to bring out the best in them. Do that, and we hopefully get the best out of these players on a consistent basis. There is a substantial rebuilding job ahead, so no point making it more difficult by just discounting some of the assets already in the squad.

I think Tait will probably do well enough if played at right back providing he's given pacy protection further up the wing. Dunne - I'm having doubts about him now but a lot might depend on his partner.  Grimshaw - squad cover only.  It won't be enough for us to tread water over the summer as we have to assume that our rivals will improve and that Ross County will be stronger than Dundee.   Agreed that a substantial rebuilding job is in prospect.  Our level at the moment is 8th but I hope we aspire to a top 6 place and decent cup runs. That means we have to improve and bring in slightly better quality or even just more solid players, which should be doable even on our budget. We had a very poor first half to the season; then a great run but we are finishing poorly.  Historically 8th is about our level, but taking into account 2 poor cup campaigns I'd say this season has been slightly poorer than normal.      

• Like 2

Departures, injuries, loss of form all conspired against us this season. The upside is that some of the new players brought in did well, Gorrin, Gillespie and we brought through a couple of our own in Turnbull and Hastie. Unfortunately, it seems that keeping hold of such successes is sometimes beyond a club of our means. I would suggest that we were spoiled by last season's cup tie heroics and would say that this season was almost par or the course.

2 minutes ago, The African said:

Departures, injuries, loss of form all conspired against us this season. The upside is that some of the new players brought in did well, Gorrin, Gillespie and we brought through a couple of our own in Turnbull and Hastie. Unfortunately, it seems that keeping hold of such successes is sometimes beyond a club of our means. I would suggest that we were spoiled by last season's cup tie heroics and would say that this season was almost par or the course.

And next season already looks like it’s going to be just as tough with those leaving. We don’t have a lot of real quality left in the squad as it stands, staying up the first objective again.

11 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Tait poor? Surely you’re joking. May not have been a standout performer but nowhere near poor.

• David locked this topic