2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

55 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Derby, Cardiff and Bristol City linked with Turnbull today.  Having watched a fair bit of Derby recently, I think this would be the perfect move for him at this stage in his development. He’d fit nicely into Lampard’s style of play. 

Knowing nothing about English football, and caring even less, my only concern is if all 3 clubs are capable of stumping up a hefty fee?  Not strictly true, given his loyalty to us, I'd like him to go to a decent club and do well.  

Personally hope that we realise as much as possible from the sale of Turnbull. As such, we have to expect that his stock is set to rise and that now is not the time to cash in. All things being equal, another season with us will increase his value and get him the move he deserves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The African said:

Personally hope that we realise as much as possible from the sale of Turnbull. As such, we have to expect that his stock is set to rise and that now is not the time to cash in. All things being equal, another season with us will increase his value and get him the move he deserves.

Yes and no. Another season with us also gets him closer to the end of his contract...

8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Yes and no. Another season with us also gets him closer to the end of his contract...

The people with the type of money required to get him are not going to hang around for a year to get him on the cheap. He will be making a genuine step up and not joining Celtic or Rangers.

We all know that there's going to be a major rebuild this summer, but just how significant will it turn out to be? A half decent discussion on P & B about it.  

By my reckoning the following will be out of contract:  Mbulu, Cadden, Frear, Gorrin, McHugh, Main and Tanner.  Loanees possibly/certainly leaving are: Aldred, Ariyibi, Sammon, McCormack and Newell. Don't think I've omitted anyone.  Add to that question marks over Hartley, Donnelly and Johnson who will remain under contract but seem to be injured/out of favour.

Bear in mind too that Gallagher and Polworth are coming in highly recommended and Maguire is returning.  Question mark over Carroll.     

How many of them will we actually miss?  Of the above lists I'd say we'll miss perhaps Cadden, although his development seems to have stalled; Gorrin, who will be a big miss; and perhaps Aldred, although Gallagher may well replace him.   The headline exodus seems quite disturbing at first glance, but just how disruptive will it turn out to be?  The above will be using up a fair whack of our playing budget and I think that we can replace some with fewer but higher earners.  It shouldn't be too difficult to improve the squad, especially a first 11.  No doubt along with successes there'll also be some failures, but thats life.   

An interesting summer ahead.

I heard his agent said he couldn't believe he had managed to get him a 2 year deal with a club of Motherwell's stature. His current team are bottom of their league and he isn't getting a game for them. Read into that what you will. I hope to be proved wrong next season but wouldn't hold my breath

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, real dosser said:

I heard his agent said he couldn't believe he had managed to get him a 2 year deal with a club of Motherwell's stature. His current team are bottom of their league and he isn't getting a game for them. Read into that what you will. I hope to be proved wrong next season but wouldn't hold my breath

What I read into it is speculation. So & so "heard" this isn't exactly concrete information.

The biggest thing I've read into the Jake Carroll signing is that he's a stick-on to be the scapegoat among certain fans next season unless he hits the ground running and immediately settles in.

16 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Regarding Turnbull we could sell him to Derby for 2M. And get him back on loan for a season . Im sure i read him in papers saying he would be happy wirh that scenario.

I'm sure he would. Not sure Derby would be so pleased about it...

4 hours ago, David said:

What I read into it is speculation. So & so "heard" this isn't exactly concrete information.

The biggest thing I've read into the Jake Carroll signing is that he's a stick-on to be the scapegoat among certain fans next season unless he hits the ground running and immediately settles in.

I would hope he hits the ground running, may be tough for him if not.

2 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Regarding Turnbull we could sell him to Derby for 2M. And get him back on loan for a season . Im sure i read him in papers saying he would be happy wirh that scenario.

I might be greedy but I wouldn't cash in at 2m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superward said:

I might be greedy but I wouldn't cash in at 2m

2 million,would be a helluva lot of money for a club like us but I'm with you,i would be slightly disappointed with just 2 million.

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

So is anybody going to enlighten me why there is a question mark over Carroll? Or is it one of those secret squirrel deals?

The deals probably off, the keyboard coaches have spoken, and allegedly he is pish, 5 mins on twitter was all it took to judge him.:nod:

35 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I think the article is being taken slightly out of context.  Alan Burrows' comments apply equally to over half of the clubs in the Premiership, not just us.  In short, its an issue for Scottish football.  We always have been in the same market more or less for players as clubs like Kilmarnock, St Mirren, St Johnstone, and Dundee etc.  This is nothing new.  What is newer, although not new, is that mega rich foreign investors have been displacing British owners of the top English clubs and this has had a cascading effect right down the English league system.   Perhaps Alan Burrows is just being more open, than his counterparts about our transfer targets. Big money is now being poured into non league clubs down south. Don't forget too that many English clubs have catchment area populations far larger than ours.  

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think the article is being taken slightly out of context.  Alan Burrows' comments apply equally to over half of the clubs in the Premiership, not just us.  In short, its an issue for Scottish football.  We always have been in the same market more or less for players as clubs like Kilmarnock, St Mirren, St Johnstone, and Dundee etc.  This is nothing new.  What is newer, although not new, is that mega rich foreign investors have been displacing British owners of the top English clubs and this has had a cascading effect right down the English league system.   Perhaps Alan Burrows is just being more open, than his counterparts about our transfer targets. Big money is now being poured into non league clubs down south. Don't forget too that many English clubs have catchment area populations far larger than ours.  

It is also worth noting how much of a basket case the EFL is.  More than half the Clubs are operating on unsustainable budgets based entirely on loans/debt (much like Rangers and Dundee).  Looking at the financial statistics, I would be surprised if we are not fast approaching the point of no return when it comes to the EFL in terms of a widespread collapse of the Clubs involved in it.  Had the latest Sky Sports deal not been forced through, much to chagrin of the biggest sides in the Championship like Villa and Leeds, the financial collapse of some clubs would have been greatly accelerated.  So many are teetering on the brink through obscene financial mismanagement and gambling on promotion that it will eventually bit them on the arse.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic