2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I don't see it though as he's not featured.

The thing about it though was the 1 match he did play, despite it being one of the worst team performances of the season, I thought he was our best player that day.

Maguire has plenty of ability, he just needs time.

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I like him as a player but he's 21 now.

Needs to step up soon.

Personally I would like to see him now given some game time with us, seen him I think 3 times this season playing alongside inferior players and I think he’s ready to make the step up. Not saying he’s ready to start every week but if we’re willing to give Scott game time in my view Maguire should receive the same opportunity. 

30 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The thing about it though was the 1 match he did play, despite it being one of the worst team performances of the season, I thought he was our best player that day.

He’s on the telly with QOTS right now

Quite funny listening to super scoreboard on the way home. A Rangers fan phoned in stating that signing the best player from the likes of Motherwell was not good enough. He had to be informed they had not actually signed the best Motherwell player. Some of these old firm fans seem to be absolutely clueless when it comes to their knowledge of Scottish football. It’s hardly as though Turnbull is flying under the radar these days.

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He has been out on loan at QoS. Hopefully that experience will have improved him. Granted, that remains to be seen.....

Has there been any discussions as to whether Cadden is likely to stay? Form has been up and down but he’s still a very big potential contributor to the side and would be disappointed to see him go. 

Who do we actually have on for next season?

Carson

Gillespie

Fergusson 

Tait

Grimshaw

Dunne

Hartley

Livingston

Maguire

Gallagher

Carroll

Devine

Donnelly

Cadden(?)

Turnbull

Campbell

(Holding Midfielder)

Polworth

Semple 

Cornelius 

(Winger)

Tanner (??)

Johnson 

Scott

Giving us:

—————————-Gillespie———

Tait ———-Gallagher——Dunne——Carrol(?)

Cadden————Campbell———(?)———-(?)

—————————Turnbull

——————————(?)

Subs:

Carson 

Grimshaw

Maguire 

Livingston 

Polworth

(Attacking Midfielder/Striker)

Scott

It’s a Small Squad and one which really needs quality over quantity, which is why Robinson telling us that bringing in guys from League 2 and non league English fills me with dread.

We’re crying out for 3 players with a bit of quality that can actually be a catalyst and an inspiration point for the young guys we’re bringing through. I 100% back the policy of having a young side but that needs to be complimented appropriately by quality over quality IMO.

Ps. Someone please have a word with Robinson re. Donnelly, the guy is quite clearly not up to it...

42 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Has there been any discussions as to whether Cadden is likely to stay? Form has been up and down but he’s still a very big potential contributor to the side and would be disappointed to see him go. 

Who do we actually have on for next season?.........

I get the impression Cadden has been holding out for better offers but that can't continue indefinitely.  Your squad list is comprehensive but I'm not sure what contribution young lads like Devine and Cornelius can be expected to make just yet.  Hopefully they'll be brought on gradually as they mature.

I'm not convinced yet about our defence but things will become clearer.  Dunne has been error prone but his physicality and pace has kept his head above water. Am I right in thinking that Dunne and Gallagher are both left sided central defenders? 

We badly require an all round midfielder to replace Gorrin.  Someone who can compete physically, can defend but who is also comfortable on the ball.

There's a shortage of bodies to populate the wings and striking roles.

Question marks over Peter Hartley and retaining 2 first choice goalkeepers.

Overall with the amount of established players leaving I'd hope we can invest in a little bit of quality, with youngsters taking up squad coverage roles. Its going to be an interesting summer, beginning with next week.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I get the impression Cadden has been holding out for better offers but that can't continue indefinitely.  Your squad list is comprehensive but I'm not sure what contribution young lads like Devine and Cornelius can be expected to make just yet.  Hopefully they'll be brought on gradually as they mature.

I'm not convinced yet about our defence but things will become clearer.  Dunne has been error prone but his physicality and pace has kept his head above water. Am I right in thinking that Dunne and Gallagher are both left sided central defenders? 

We badly require an all round midfielder to replace Gorrin.  Someone who can compete physically, can defend but who is also comfortable on the ball.

There's a shortage of bodies to populate the wings and striking roles.

Question marks over Peter Hartley and retaining 2 first choice goalkeepers.

Overall with the amount of established players leaving I'd hope we can invest in a little bit of quality, with youngsters taking up squad coverage roles. Its going to be an interesting summer, beginning with next week.  

Yep Gallagher is left sided, I guess we have the option of moving Tait over to the right and playing him on the left but I assume he’s been signed to play as a centre half, do Hartley  or Maguire have a part to play next season ? not sure.

A direct replacement for Gorrin is going to be very difficult, as you say he ticked all the boxes, bringing in another player with his all round ability will be next to impossible at our spending level short of getting lucky with an unknown again. 

We need two strikers who can put the ball in the net, we can’t just rely on Turnbull.

Must have just been me but I thought Donnelly had a really good game before getting shifted to left back. A couple of stray passes but apart from those he shielded the defence really well and moved the ball well. If you expected Gorrin like play then that was just daft. But I thought he did the job well. One of his diagonals in the first half was an absolute beauty. I say all of that as a paid up member of the 'he is nowhere near good enough' club too. 

He could offer something as cover at defensive mid I think. But not a good enough left back or centre back at this level. 

As for the rebuild....looking forward to it! 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Yep Gallagher is left sided, I guess we have the option of moving Tait over to the right and playing him on the left but I assume he’s been signed to play as a centre half, do Hartley  or Maguire have a part to play next season ? not sure.

A direct replacement for Gorrin is going to be very difficult, as you say he ticked all the boxes, bringing in another player with his all round ability will be next to impossible at our spending level short of getting lucky with an unknown again. 

We need two strikers who can put the ball in the net, we can’t just rely on Turnbull.

Gallagher isn’t left sided. He is two footed but generally plays as a right centreback in a 4. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Gallagher is right footed though is he not? Looks good air the air and competent with the ball at his feet

I genuinely can’t see cadden staying since his injury he’s been hot and cold, I don’t know what it is but I used to love him but now I just don’t see the deal with him, especially with no end product. Definitely better and more out there better for us on the pitch and money wise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Gallagher isn’t left sided. He is two footed but generally plays as a right centreback in a 4. 

Fair enough, I thought he generally played at centre half or left back. Think I read somewhere he has the best heading stats in the division.

• Like 1

If we do lose Turnbull but manage to keep Cadden and Aribyi we’ll need to find goal scorers somewhere.

As good as Cadden and Aribyi are for the team they rarely score. 

Given Tanner had a bit of an end product and could be versatile across our front 4 positions I hope we’re able to retain him. Whether he’s in a state to have a go at rediscovering form of 2 years ago I’ve no idea.  

• David locked this topic