2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

4 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Bigi was signed by Hibs for 31st Jan deadline,  Hibs and Lennon parted company on 30th January. i think its pretty safe to say Lennon would have been involved in that signing. 

Lennon was suspended for four or five days before that.

Just now, steelboy said:

Lennon was suspended for four or five days before that.

your splitting hairs whether he was suspended 4 or 5 days before doesnt change a thing. Hibs are highly unlike;y to have rushed out to sign Bigi the day after Lennon left and have it all settled in 4 days. Anyway even if they did my original point stands experienced managers are capable of and often do sign utter shite.

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Yeah quite often they do. Just because they are experienced managers doesnt mean they dont sign dross. Neil Lennon signed Bigrimani . Mark McGhee signed Bob Malcolm.

I didn't say they didn't sign dross. I said they don't sign them - as you claimed - "based on nothing".

Their living depends on having good players so whether they are right or wrong, they sign players based on the fact they think they will improve the team.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I didn't say they didn't sign dross. I said they don't sign them - as you claimed - "based on nothing".

Their living depends on having good players so whether they are right or wrong, they sign players based on the fact they think they will improve the team.

Id seriously love to know what McGhee thought he could do with Bob Malcolm a serious lump of wood before he signed and by the time he left a lump of wood would have been better. Every manager will "think" a player will improve what they have even when the facts put in front of them have a serious chance of proving that assumption wrong.  

Main showed enough in his purple patch to demonstrate there's a player in there. Particularly his charging down of the ball, run from half way at Hampden and as cool a finish as you'll ever see. It's up to a manager to sign him on the basis he's confident he can get that out of him on a regular basis. 

16 minutes ago, daver said:

Main showed enough in his purple patch to demonstrate there's a player in there. Particularly his charging down of the ball, run from half way at Hampden and as cool a finish as you'll ever see. It's up to a manager to sign him on the basis he's confident he can get that out of him on a regular basis. 

Showed absolutely none of that in the past year since that game.

A lone striker who doesn't score goals is always going to be in bother when it comes to the boo boys...I for one, felt that he played that role well, brought others into play, made space for those around him and often occupied central defensive pairings much bigger than him, on his own. 

• Like 2

The problem for Main last season was even when he wasn't loan striker (in the first half of the season) he only managed 3 league goals. You could see his confidence drain every game that went by.

It was actually a smart move by Robinson, even it was partly forced by circumstances, to start playing him as a lone striker. We were fortunate that for the first time in years we suddenly had a midfield that could score goals. I thought Main did a decent job as far as hold up and linking was concerned, but ultimately, a striker needs to be able to score. In the end, he just ended up not taking the gambles confident strikers take to get into positions where he might score.

I don't necessarily expect a lone striker to have the same return as one with a strike partner, but they need to be able to chip in more than 1 goal every 6 months. 

A change of scenery might get his confidence back, but I don't think he'll ever be prolific. Stick him beside a regular goalscorer again and he should make a decent contribution.

Robinson made various references to needing a goalscorer beside him, aye.

Actually think him and Cosgrove might make a decent go of it at Aberdeen.

I’d imagine it would be a very defensive announcement for Main and Ash Taylor, going by Aberdeen fans’ reaction on twitter to the rumours. Similar to our announcement of Sammon last summer.

7 hours ago, superward said:

I'd be stabbing my eyes out if it was Main and Cosgrove up front. Both very 'purple patch' strikers. They better hope they dovetail nicely.

Apparently, they are also keen on tying up James Wilson on a permanent contract, despite him only scoring 3 goals last season. Makes you wonder if niether of these players hit a purple patch next season, where they finish.

On Main, I liked him, did a lot of work up front on his own at times. Although you could see that not scoring was getting too him, he had enough chances just felt that he tried too hard to get that kick start.  

Main worked his arse off every game. But was always a yard away from a scoring position or totally fluffed many golden chances through the season. Cant have a striker who cant score or take a chance. Best of luck to him as he was a tryer.

I was appreciative of the job Main done as a lone striker in the second half of the season, but as noted above, that was massively helped by the fact that we had a midfielder in Turnbull and a winger in Hastie regularly contributing goals in this period, where Main scored once. 

The thing for me is that if Turnbull goes this summer, I don't know how likely that is personally, then I'm guessing it gives us a midfield three of Sloth/Campbell/Polworth. While Polworth's numbers stack up well for assists, he's never been prolific in terms of goals.

I think the closest I've ever seen to a central midfielder getting 15 was Stephen Pearson getting 9 in 2015/16, but this was in a season where both Moult and McDonald hit double figures. 

Again, I don't know how likely Turnbull is to leave in the summer (he may even get loaned back if he does go), but if he does, I think it's much less of a long shot trying to replace those goals in a centre forward, rather than a like-for-like midfielder. Considering that, I think it's probably best that Main's no longer on the wage bill.

• Like 1

It's the potential requirement for a change of formation be that as a result of personnel changes, or simply when an opponent, in game situation or match warrants it,  that left me slightly puzzled at the freezing out somewhat of Danny Johnson.

I absolutely backed the decision to give James Scott the game time but wondered if perhaps some of that time might have been useful alongside another striker,  in particular Johnson, to see if there was a potential partnership there.

I still think Johnson offers something when we play with two strikers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andy_P said:

It's the potential requirement for a change of formation be that as a result of personnel changes, or simply when an opponent, in game situation or match warrants it,  that left me slightly puzzled at the freezing out somewhat of Danny Johnson.

I absolutely backed the decision to give James Scott the game time but wondered if perhaps some of that time might have been useful alongside another striker,  in particular Johnson, to see if there was a potential partnership there.

I still think Johnson offers something when we play with two strikers.

I agree but is Danny Johnson still at the club?

• David locked this topic