2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

14 hours ago, weeyin said:

Did he not have the highest number of assists in the team before he was injured?

He certainly offers more of a goal threat than Main did. I'm not sure what other people are building him up to be, but for a long time he was the only guy in the team that had a bit of football in him. If his head is in the right place, he should do just fine.

he'd also scored 9 goals had he not?

On 4/28/2019 at 8:18 PM, postiejim said:

If we go back to the  352 formation they can stick it , football has been great of late but I’m waiting till the transfer window closes.........

Not wishing to rake up old arguments here Jim but to fast forward on a wee bit .  My point is that although the transfer window isn't even open yet the signings we're making suggest that Robbo is not intending to revert to a 3-5-2 formation but rather is intending to stick with more adventurous and attacking line ups.  Signings such as Gallagher, Sloth, Polworth and now Hylton suggests that we will continue with a more attractive style of football.  Also, Alan Burrows' recent comment that we're looking to acquire more strikers and wingers simply reinforces that view.

I think we'd all be far happier to stick with a formation that produces more attractive football.  Thats not to say we couldn't field a 3-5-2 formation if we had to.  The signs are looking promising even this early.   

I would rather poke my eyes out than watch us playing 3-5-2. Has everyone forgotten how pish we were for about 6 months and in relegation bother getting gubbed at home to Accies and St. Mirren with this awfull formation. NEVER PLAY 3-5-2. It was only when Robinson changed the system brought us results and safety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not wishing to rake up old arguments here Jim but to fast forward on a wee bit .  My point is that although the transfer window isn't even open yet the signings we're making suggest that Robbo is not intending to revert to a 3-5-2 formation but rather is intending to stick with more adventurous and attacking line ups.  Signings such as Gallagher, Sloth, Polworth and now Hylton suggests that we will continue with a more attractive style of football.  Also, Alan Burrows' recent comment that we're looking to acquire more strikers and wingers simply reinforces that view.

I think we'd all be far happier to stick with a formation that produces more attractive football.  Thats not to say we couldn't field a 3-5-2 formation if we had to.  The signs are looking promising even this early.   

Absolutely Dave early days but the signs are looking good for next season .

6 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

I would rather poke my eyes out than watch us playing 3-5-2. Has everyone forgotten how pish we were for about 6 months and in relegation bother getting gubbed at home to Accies and St. Mirren with this awfull formation. NEVER PLAY 3-5-2. It was only when Robinson changed the system brought us results and safety.

Every manager, and therefore, team, needs to be able to adapt to whatever formation is required...to pigeon-hole us as a 'back3 or a back4' team is just idiotic

Centre mid is the only position we are actually strong in.

Clarke is trying to figure out who to play out of McGregor, Armstrong, McTominany and McGinn and is also apparently wants to bring back McArthur. He also has Kenny McLean and Bannan who have had good seasons. He probably just thinks the doesn't need another centre mid when he's trying to balance that. If Turbull keeps scoring goals he will be in the squad before long.

Clarke also said he will keeping a close watch on Turnbull and Lewis Ferguson.    Also if there are any call-offs then I think he might get call-up.    McArthur has retired so forget him and also Snodgrass and Ritchie,   you can't pick and choose when you turn up.

Clarke already said he will consider anyone who wants to come out of retirement - but they will need to contact him; he's not chasing them.

While I'd be delighted if Turnbull gets international recognition, I'd prefer it to happen after the summer. Don't want to have to manage his appearances next season because we tired him out in a couple of games in what appears to be a lost cause campaign.

Re. Motherwell for some reason i've got a feeling we're going to have a really positive season next year, not really sure what i'm basing that on but there you go. I'm moving back home after 5 years away so will be the first time in ages that i'm able to get a season ticket and regularly attend games. To say i'm buzzing for it is an understatement- maybe that's where my baseless optimism comes from. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Formation isn't in itself the problem. Best Motherwell team I've ever seen was a 352 team.  It's a case of finding the formation that best suits the players at your disposal...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Formation isn't in itself the problem. Best Motherwell team I've ever seen was a 352 team.  It's a case of finding the formation that best suits the players at your disposal...

This. the team in McLeans last season was predominantly 352 (and the ginger cunt's first season when he wasn't fucking around with it). The difference is that our wing backs were McKinnon and Shannon, who were defenders who could attack.

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

Re. Motherwell for some reason i've got a feeling we're going to have a really positive season next year, not really sure what i'm basing that on but there you go. I'm moving back home after 5 years away so will be the first time in ages that i'm able to get a season ticket and regularly attend games. To say i'm buzzing for it is an understatement- maybe that's where my baseless optimism comes from. 

I have a feeling we will have a positive season as well next year,  if we pick up points on a regular basis like we did from January onwards I see us definetly being top 6 this year. 

14 minutes ago, Rammer said:

From BBC Gossip :

Celtic are plotting a £1.2million move for Motherwell midfield starlet David Turnbull but face competition from Brighton for the 19-year-old

£1.2m? Swap the 1 and the 2 around and come back to us....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rammer said:

From BBC Gossip :

Celtic are plotting a £1.2million move for Motherwell midfield starlet David Turnbull but face competition from Brighton for the 19-year-old

Hopefully we don't even consider this,  don't think we will to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Rammer said:

From BBC Gossip :

Hope we tell them to jog on , you should never sell your best players to a rival team, where they can come back and score against you, not counting Hastie in that as he will never see the rangers 1st team on a regular basis.

Unless of course they offer silly money,  for far too long we have let good players go for feck all, so I hope this time the club grows a set and starts the bidding at English rates.

I really don't want him to join either h*n or tim, but equally I don't want him to join a team where he'll be jettisoned to their Under 23s for a season or two...ideally the likes of Everton or Southampton would sign him and loan him out to either us, or a Championship side for a season

And why shouldn't we be going for 3 mill,4 mill I have seen Hibs and Dundee Utd players go for 2.5 mill easy and from where I am sitting he is defo worth the same value or more.

Sorry but clubs will be sniffing round him and we hold the cards anything less than 3 mill and a fat sell on clause and it's a bad bad deal.

Just cause he is a Motherwell player doesn't mean he should be cheap .

• David locked this topic