2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

20 hours ago, supermarv said:

Linked with another striker/ winger a lad from Northampton Town. Daniel Powell.

If we're going for him let's hope he's more of a winger than a striker. He's not managed double figures since 2014/15 in English League One, and has a career total of 361 games and 61 goals.

22 minutes ago, David said:

If we're going for him let's hope he's more of a winger than a striker. He's not managed double figures since 2014/15 in English League One, and has a career total of 361 games and 61 goals.

MK Dons webpage described him as: 

"Powell is a forward thinking player who loves to run at full-backs and is a strong asset for the Dons down the flanks. His unpredictable nature is often an asset and at times a flaw in his character but remains an important player for the Dons. "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

MK Dons webpage described him as: 

"Powell is a forward thinking player who loves to run at full-backs and is a strong asset for the Dons down the flanks. His unpredictable nature is often an asset and at times a flaw in his character but remains an important player for the Dons. "

He sounds perfectly fine as a winger, it's just the mentions I've seen on him as a striker that gave me cause for alarm.

24 minutes ago, David said:

He sounds perfectly fine as a winger, it's just the mentions I've seen on him as a striker that gave me cause for alarm.

Aye, he sounds more like an Ariyibi type player - winger who loves to dribble and "needs work" in the shooting department.

(I saw an interesting stat in The Scotsman today that Ariyibi attempted more dribbles per game than any other player in the Premiership last season).

I like Ariyibi but felt he was always more about trying to draw fouls rather than beating his man. Went to ground  too easy too often for me but I’d still have him on the team with coaches working on that............and his finishing 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Aye, he sounds more like an Ariyibi type player - winger who loves to dribble and "needs work" in the shooting department.

(I saw an interesting stat in The Scotsman today that Ariyibi attempted more dribbles per game than any other player in the Premiership last season).

Boy was brilliant, would have him back in a heart beat. Every time he got the ball you felt something was going to happen.

• Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 1:24 PM, MrBeee said:

And why shouldn't we be going for 3 mill,4 mill I have seen Hibs and Dundee Utd players go for 2.5 mill easy and from where I am sitting he is defo worth the same value or more.

Sorry but clubs will be sniffing round him and we hold the cards anything less than 3 mill and a fat sell on clause and it's a bad bad deal.

Just cause he is a Motherwell player doesn't mean he should be cheap .

I guess it’s back to what others think he is worth. The club also has to be fair to the player and does not want to alienate him. While I would love to see us receive 4 million I can’t see it this early in his career.

As I mentioned earlier, the market will determine what he's worth, not us. We can say that we're not accepting a penny less than £4 million all we like, but if no bugger is willing to pay that then he's not worth it. It's incredibly naive to think we can just say "well, Hibs and Dundee United got X amount, so that means we're going to get Y amount" as it doesn't work that way.

The market will vary depending on the window. Are clubs looking for a player in his position? Are there a lot of other options out there who can play said position? Are the clubs who are interested in a financial position to pay the kind of money we want?

It'll depend on a number of factors, but it's far more complicated than we think.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mfc88 said:

Celtic can do one. Based on how they went about things with John McGinn last summer, I'd tell them to f@@k off now and not to bother coming back. Cant be dealing with a pre-season of that.

If Clarke had called him up he could have asked McGinn over crushed avocado and toast at breakfast if he regretted not going to Celtic.

With a winning goal in the play off, playing every week in arguably the most entertaining league, salary jump and now a new one to match, not being hated by 1/2 of Glasgow (granted 1/4 will always despise you because of your secondary school) and your previous club fans .... I'm sure he'd steer him away. OK he's maybe gonna miss out on smoke machines, light shows and 60k unwashed singing you'll not walk alone in Europe but rather than jump on the first wave, jump on the best one.

Turnbull has age, plaudits from peers plus the jorno's, stats and potential on his side that others such as Moult, Randolph, etc. didn't. He had good advisors around him at the club. However 3 months till the window closes, plenty of time for a bidding war. Let the powers that be keep on stoking the fire.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yodo said:

Not complicated at all if we don't get the offer we are looking for we just NO 

It's not quite as simple as "just no'ing" I'm afraid. 

We can gamble on Turnbull doing really well this season and the offers being higher next summer, but we're also going to have to take into account the fact that his deal will be closer to running out by then, which is when traditionally clubs see offers for players start to drop in amount.

And yet again, the market will play a part in the next window as well. If we stick a £4 million tag on him, knocking back offers of half that, we could be sitting there "no'ing" until his deal expires and he walks away for fuck all.

It really is as simple as saying "No" this summer.  

We managed to get a chunk of change for Moult when he had 6 months left on his deal and eligible to sign a pre-contract. The mentality that we need to cash in on him now in case he's worth less in year, should be a thing of the past.

We're a fan owned club now, and plan to break even every year. If we have Turnbull for another season and sell him for even £2 million next summer I think most (if not all) fans would be delighted to watch him in claret and amber for another campaign.  If he continues to develop at his current rate, we'll do better from the add-ons anyway.

He's on record as saying he's is more than happy to stay. We are in a position where we are in no rush to sell. I'll be delighted if we are having this discussion again next summer.

1 hour ago, David said:

It's not quite as simple as "just no'ing" I'm afraid. 

We can gamble on Turnbull doing really well this season and the offers being higher next summer, but we're also going to have to take into account the fact that his deal will be closer to running out by then, which is when traditionally clubs see offers for players start to drop in amount.

And yet again, the market will play a part in the next window as well. If we stick a £4 million tag on him, knocking back offers of half that, we could be sitting there "no'ing" until his deal expires and he walks away for fuck all.

But what a 2 years we could have, then there is the development fee stuff, so it is all good

Just now, ropy said:

But what a 2 years we could have, then there is the development fee stuff, so it is all good

In fact up his wages with another 2 and a half year deal near Christmas, the boy is a Well fan, he will sign it and we are in a stronger position next year with a more experienced player.  There are many options.  No need to panic.

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I’m hoping this coming season is Ancell babes mark 2 

If only that could happen. Those of us who saw that team would match them against any Motherwell team since then. That was pure football magic, and pre-season games were against major teams. Ian St John's six goals against the Brazilians, Thumping Leeds United who were a top team. nobody came to Fir Park and beat us. The only scare was Mc Seveney (sp ?) who was clumsy, but Hastie Weir, Pat Holton, Aitken, Martis, McCann, Billy Reid, Hunter, St. John, Pat Quinn, and Andy Weir, all made Saturday afternoon special. The best part for me was also being with a bunch of friends in the middle of the away supporters and giving as much as we got, except for the Old Firm. Vintage "Team"! 

Fairhill they not only would have matched any Well side since then in my opinion they would and could have matched any Scottish team since then for pure footballing ability and enjoyment in watching them.  They were a once in a lifetime team and its a pity some of the youngsters on here couldn't have seen them.

• David locked this topic