2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Actually think the new lad will do a decent job for us and really the look of Hylton the only one I’m not 100% sure with is the left back but I’m all for giving him a chance same with any signing just left back has been a big problem position for us over the last 5 years to replace Hammell.

8 hours ago, supermarv said:

Actually think the new lad will do a decent job for us and really the look of Hylton the only one I’m not 100% sure with is the left back but I’m all for giving him a chance same with any signing just left back has been a big problem position for us over the last 5 years to replace Hammell.

So I take it you have seen them play ?

12 hours ago, Kmac said:

Hmmmmmmm..... once again. 

I’m sorry, but the signings so far are leaving me more than a little concerned. 

We finished last season with a strong core of a young side emerging (assuming  on keeping Cadden). Contract expirations we’re largely kind to us and I like others felt we should be bringing in quality over quantity. Some relatively experienced and decent level players to bring in some guidance for our own younger players. Thus far, outside of Gallagher and  Polworth, we’ve brought in a lot of journeymen from the lower leagues of England whom are untested In Scottish football (and before anyone starts, League 1/2 isn’t at the same standard as the Scottish top flight). Some of these boys look like good athletes which is what is essential at that level down south, but to my mind, we are crying out for on the ball quality, Albeit in limited numbers, to aid McGuire and Livingston etc. Through games and help players like Cadden and Campbell kick on to the next level. 

So far, the jury is out and Robinson appears to be repeating history all over again. 

I seriously do not know what you expect, this is the market we work in and we have been very good at it too !!  we aren't in a position to bring in quality over quantity at the moment, what if that 'quality' gets injured, isn't the player we were hoping for (Bigi) if you look on the club website, we have 4 first team defenders, 4 first team midfielders and 2 first team strikers, we need quantity and I may be in the minority but Robinson does, whether you like it or not, have a decent track record with his signings. Every signing is a risk and not all will be a success, that's part of the game, whether you are paying 10k for someone or 100 million. I am not saying the players we have signed so far will have the ' on the ball quality ' you are crying out for, but I would be confident that you have never seen any of them play so to say the jury is out on Robinson is a mile off. Casper Sloth was a danish international and was thought to be the next big thing in Denmark, so you can guarantee he has some quality, it's now down to Robinson to get it out of him. Declan Gallagher was one of the most consistent performers in the league last season, I reckon he will serve Barry Mcguire well. We play the English lower market very well, I believe a few clubs actually envy us in that sense so maybe credit where credit is due, we could have the next Louis Moult or Marvin Johnson ready to go.

I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt but on the face of it so far looks like 3 decent signings  in Gallagher, Polworth and Sloth. 3 chances to step up/reignite the careers in Carrol, Hylton and Long. 

Seems a decent enough balance on the face of it given our finances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

So I take it you have seen them play ?

Just basing it off stats and highlights etc. The lad Hylton had an incredible season last year for a team who would be considered a lower national league team and he was a star player for them. A striker can be a hit or miss and the lad did have potential which makes Long a good signing in the hope it works out. Just a bit skeptics about Carroll as left backs recently haven’t worked out for us but he did look promising at a time.

Am I missing something here? Honestly, I'm usually quite quick to speak up when signings look to be pish but I don't really see the doom and gloom about this guy.

He clearly has talent given the clubs he started off at, his goal record isn't great but he has scored a handful of goals in a limited amount of appearances. From what I have read online from Blackpool and other fans he was hardly slated. Most of the comments suggest he has some potential.

We are going to be in the market for another two strikers i would suggest so let's see who else we go for.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Am I missing something here? Honestly, I'm usually quite quick to speak up when signings look to be pish but I don't really see the doom and gloom about this guy.

He clearly has talent given the clubs he started off at, his goal record isn't great but he has scored a handful of goals in a limited amount of appearances. From what I have read online from Blackpool and other fans he was hardly slated. Most of the comments suggest he has some potential.

We are going to be in the market for another two strikers i would suggest so let's see who else we go for.

1 this week to be announced “not too far behind” the words of flow.

16 hours ago, Kmac said:

This is the issue, it doesn’t always have to be that way however. That’s a strategic choice by Robinson/the club and one which is pretty baffling at times

I'm pretty sure if there were any top performing, higher level strikers who wanted to play at Fir Park and that we could afford, Robinson would snap them up. 

Development fees for youngsters and non-league teams that can offer more money to older players, make that more and more difficult.

58 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

If we had signed a striker who had scored two goals in our league in the previous season would you feel differently?

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If we had signed a striker who had scored two goals in our league in the previous season people would you feel differently?

Remember when you used to post on here about how useless Higdon was?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

It must be the easiest thing ever to pick holes in a Motherwell signing.

Sign a youngster = unproven boooo!
Sign a veteran = over the hill boooo!
Sign a former player = old pals act booo!
Former teams fans say he rubbish = clearly must be rubbish booo!
Sign a player from a lower level = untested at this level booo!
Sign a player on loan = developing other teams players booo!

Ask who you think would be a better signing under the parameters = I don't know I don't get paid to find players...

In all seriousness we've seen plenty come highly regarded and some at some expense and absolutely bomb. Similarly we've seen plenty unheralded who've become absolute legends for us.

I'll wait and see before getting overly excited or overly critical.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Other than D Johnson all those signings were well received. 

Na, Dunn, Aldred, Gorrin for starters but end of the day it’s not about the opinion of supporters when they joined us, it’s about history showing us it can, and often does work if the right players are highlighted. The last three higher profile players have all failed to a degree. The point is you can’t pre judge a player because of the level they have joined us from, Ross Mc would be a fine example. If I replaced the names of those players with the clubs they joined us from it would look pretty pitiful. 

• Like 1

I take it Long or Carroll are the favourites to be the target of the boo boys for next season? 

Can't wait till it gets to the stage the same suspects start writing off signing targets let alone signings barely in the door. 

• Like 2

At the end of the day, we're all Motherwell fans but the resignation to mediocrity is bloody depressing.

Consistently being happy to press re-set and start each season with untried and untested and hope for the best wares off after a while and I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way. The same on here pronouncing the sale of Turnbull are by in-large those happy with non-league signings. Personally, I'd like to see the best players possible play for the club (at least Turnbull next season) and to my mind, that means a decent level of quality underpinned by what is a relatively strong youth academy. Unknown lower league English Boys supported by the academy  isn't what is going to win us a trophy (finally), that is what got ICT relegated... 

We need quality within our means and that means strategic use of budget rather than another bloated squad and the next Sammon or ATS.

• Like 1

We haven’t lost too much quality IMO over the summer with the exception of maybe Gorrin and Aldred who were massive players. Hastie and Cadden won’t be missed too much and can easily be replaced. We still have a good solid core to our squad with 2 excellent goalies 2 good full backs Dunne Campbell Turnbull then u have the likes of James Scott, Donnelly etc. And then the new signings who I think will add some good quality as well as your Semple’s and Barry maguires pushing on. I am pretty optimistic for the season ahead and we seem to have so far strengthened significantly on what we had last season. 

28 minutes ago, Kmac said:

At the end of the day, we're all Motherwell fans but the resignation to mediocrity is bloody depressing.

Consistently being happy to press re-set and start each season with untried and untested and hope for the best wares off after a while and I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way. The same on here pronouncing the sale of Turnbull are by in-large those happy with non-league signings. Personally, I'd like to see the best players possible play for the club (at least Turnbull next season) and to my mind, that means a decent level of quality underpinned by what is a relatively strong youth academy. Unknown lower league English Boys supported by the academy  isn't what is going to win us a trophy (finally), that is what got ICT relegated... 

We need quality within our means and that means strategic use of budget rather than another bloated squad and the next Sammon or ATS.

Isnt 'it' also what won ICT a trophy

1 hour ago, Mio Krivokapic said:

Isnt 'it' also what won ICT a trophy

Correct however we’ve had our flirtation with finals under this method already and unfortunately couldn’t make it over the line. My concern is now that it’s inevitably going to take a tumble 

We haven’t lost too much quality IMO over the summer with the exception of maybe Gorrin and Aldred who were massive players. Hastie and Cadden won’t be missed too much and can easily be replaced. We still have a good solid core to our squad with 2 excellent goalies 2 good full backs Dunne Campbell Turnbull then u have the likes of James Scott, Donnelly etc. And then the new signings who I think will add some good quality as well as your Semple’s and Barry maguires pushing on. I am pretty optimistic for the season ahead and we seem to have so far strengthened significantly on what we had last season. 

Who are these 2 good fullbacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• David locked this topic