2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Who are these 2 good fullbacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same ones that have been playing all season Tait and Grimshaw. Although I don’t rate Grimshaw particularly high a lot of others do but I can appreciate that he has desire and good work rate as well as being a no bad player.

3 hours ago, DunnyMFC said:

I take it Long or Carroll are the favourites to be the target of the boo boys for next season? 

Can't wait till it gets to the stage the same suspects start writing off signing targets let alone signings barely in the door. 

See how long it takes for the “we’re doomed” line to start again.

Same ones that have been playing all season Tait and Grimshaw. Although I don’t rate Grimshaw particularly high a lot of others do but I can appreciate that he has desire and good work rate as well as being a no bad player.

Aknow taits good but a just don’t think grimmy is very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

Remember when you used to post on here about how useless Higdon was?

Oh it doesn't stop there weeyin, in the WS thread he posted this:

"Now we are paying off a huge bill for the pleasure of having Baraclough, Straker, George Long, Wes Fletcher and other diddies plus paying for scouting systems and a club restructure which lasted about five minutes."

Conveniently omitting both Marvin Johnson and Louis Moult who were signed during this period too and Ben Heneghan after Baraclough who's signature probably has to get the approval of Les. By putting a more even handed argument together. Every manager signs diddies, those who don't gel and those who fade into "who?" come December. But to omit players that made the club over £2m in transfer fees seems a little too contrived.

5 hours ago, Kmac said:

At the end of the day, we're all Motherwell fans but the resignation to mediocrity is bloody depressing.

Consistently being happy to press re-set and start each season with untried and untested and hope for the best wares off after a while and I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way. The same on here pronouncing the sale of Turnbull are by in-large those happy with non-league signings. Personally, I'd like to see the best players possible play for the club (at least Turnbull next season) and to my mind, that means a decent level of quality underpinned by what is a relatively strong youth academy. Unknown lower league English Boys supported by the academy  isn't what is going to win us a trophy (finally), that is what got ICT relegated... 

We need quality within our means and that means strategic use of budget rather than another bloated squad and the next Sammon or ATS.

Spot on ,if the club is to progress then targets must be set a tad higher just because we have a budget that says we will finish tenth doesn't mean we have to finish in that position . The quality of the signings is something we could debate on here till the cows come home so let's hope they work out . I would like to see us think about signing players from the lower leagues in Scotland and would hope we have shown an interest in Shankland at Ayr and also the guy who finished top scorer with Raith Rovers ( name I have forgotten ) yes these guys would be a gamble as well  but at least they know the Scottish league . Let's see whose next through the door at Fir Park I hope it's someone who gets our fans excited 

Having an aim for 10th and everything above it is a bonus mentality is so depressing. Of course we want want to turn into a Dunfermline or more recently a Dundee Utd. There has to be ambition and a desire to improve. In our country we the 7th/8th biggest team, we vie for that with Kilmarnock. I think many resign ourselves to that position due to our crowd size.

There was a general feeling with 2 cup finals reached last season that last summer there would be a war chest but as we know we missed out on a few players (Rory Gaffney was the player that Gary Neville spat the dummy over), players such as Main who looked like a perfect replacement for Moult misfired compared to what we expected and what can only be a bit of panic buying in Sammon and alike.

I think it's safe to say Robinson (and Las) learned lessons and won't let that happen again. In our league you need pace and that has been at the forefront of most of our signings since. It wierd but last season I was indifferent before it started, now I'm the opposite. Most of the acquisitions seem to be astute and of course we all have hope they turn out well.

• Like 1

Spot on ,if the club is to progress then targets must be set a tad higher just because we have a budget that says we will finish tenth doesn't mean we have to finish in that position . The quality of the signings is something we could debate on here till the cows come home so let's hope they work out . I would like to see us think about signing players from the lower leagues in Scotland and would hope we have shown an interest in Shankland at Ayr and also the guy who finished top scorer with Raith Rovers ( name I have forgotten ) yes these guys would be a gamble as well  but at least they know the Scottish league . Let's see whose next through the door at Fir Park I hope it's someone who gets our fans excited 
Isn't that largely what we've done under Robinson thus far? Tenth or eleventh in terms of budget, aimed for top six but came in 7th and 8th. Minimum Quarter Finals in 3 out of 4 Cup competitions.

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that you have to qualify our high finishes under McCall with the fact that the league was missing full strength Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in part or full at that time.

Well, if that's the case then equally it has to be conceded that to do anything close to repeating those feats now is going to be all the more difficult now they are all back and stronger.

It's not impossible as Kilmarnock have proven but it is more difficult to finish top half on a bottom half budget.

I think the MFC Podcast with Maurice Ross is a good listen and revealing in terms of how the club know their place in the grand scheme and how they seek to bridge the gap in terms of budget.

The positive for me is that with each passing season we are getting closer to the point where budgets can be held or even increased. With debts paid off and money that is going out of the club we can look more at improving infrastructure to help generate more money, be that in the ground or through the academy, and consider directly boosting the playing budget.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I just think you can hide behind the budget thing when it suits you and most managers do when it's not going well ,the manager is asked to use the budget as well as he can then his management and coaching skills come into play .If you don't sign decent players then one hand is tied behind your back right away 

14 hours ago, Kmac said:

Consistently being happy to press re-set and start each season with untried and untested and hope for the best wares off after a while and I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way.

Are we happy to press reset every season? Unfortunately, if a players contract is up with us there's very little we can do to force them to stay, is there? Unless you're suggesting we offer these unknown quantities a two or three year deal rather than the usual one year offering?

8 hours ago, Yodo said:

I would like to see us think about signing players from the lower leagues in Scotland and would hope we have shown an interest in Shankland at Ayr and also the guy who finished top scorer with Raith Rovers ( name I have forgotten ) yes these guys would be a gamble as well  but at least they know the Scottish league .

I'd wager that the players you mention are very much on the clubs radar.

Until they're linked with the likes of Sunderland and Hearts, of course, at which point the chances of him coming here are pretty slim. 

This Sun article doesn't really tell us anything new

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4354275/motherwell-chris-cadden-new-deal-sweat-fir-park/

WELL FUTURE 

Motherwell still sweating on whether Chris Cadden will sign new deal at Fir Park

• By Alan Potts
  • 11 Jun 2019, 22:33

MOTHERWELL are still sweating on whether Chris Cadden will commit his future to the club.

The Steelmen have offered the 22-year-old a new long-term deal to stay at Fir Park.

Cadden is yet to decide on his future
Cadden is yet to decide on his futureCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow
Robinson has offered the winger a new long-term deal at Fir Park
Robinson has offered the winger a new long-term deal at Fir ParkCredit: Kenny Ramsay - The Sun Glasgow

However the Scotland international – who has made 139 appearances for the club since breaking into the team six years ago – is believed to be weighing up his options.

SunSport understands clubs north and south of the border are keeping tabs on developments with Cadden available on free transfer – but the Steelmen would be due a hefty development fee should he move on.

Cadden was a first pick under boss Stephen Robinson, with his form seeing him selected for the Scotland senior side by former gaffer Alex McLeish last summer.

A knee injury saw him ruled out for more than four months of last season, reducing him to just 25 top team outings.

But he forced his way back into the side in the final weeks of the campaign, replacing Rangers-bound Jake Hastie, as Well finished eighth.

With Hastie moving to Ibrox and on loan Gboly Ariyibi returning to Nottingham Forest, Robinson is keen to keep hold of his influential playmaker.

Cadden is currently on holiday, leaving club chiefs waiting on his decision.

9 hours ago, Yodo said:

it's all well and good expressing an interest in Lawrence shankland, but if we are interested then so is every team in the spfl outwith celtic and we wouldn't get near his wage demands. The raith rovers striker, Kevin nisbett, 30 goals is impressive but its league 1, in the 45 appearances he has made in the championship/spl he has managed 2 goals, i would be very surprised if there is any league 1 players who could make the step up to the spl (maybe that is being naive, I don't know the league well enough) so knowing the scottish league is irrelevant.

59 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

it's all well and good expressing an interest in Lawrence shankland, but if we are interested then so is every team in the spfl outwith celtic and we wouldn't get near his wage demands. The raith rovers striker, Kevin nisbett, 30 goals is impressive but its league 1, in the 45 appearances he has made in the championship/spl he has managed 2 goals, i would be very surprised if there is any league 1 players who could make the step up to the spl (maybe that is being naive, I don't know the league well enough) so knowing the scottish league is irrelevant.

Okay so we will just settle for signing players in the lower leagues in England who have lost their way but the good samaritans at Fir Park will take them on .Its quality we need to sign and as I said in a previous post while we have assets at the club it's not a gamble financially to spend a wee bit more than the budget 

• Like 1

I could understand your point if it didn't work, but it does, so why complain? the majority of the time we will be outbid for players in Scotland, of course we can offer them a platform but so can most clubs in Scotland and on better wages too. in an ideal world we would operate in the Scottish market but there is too much competition. we will sign players some will be a success some fail, get used to it, its football.

With regards to quality over quantity, we don't have the funds or the squad depth currently to rely on signing 3 or 4 quality players. We need to get a balance between the two, Gallagher and sloth appear to be quality, hylton, long and carroll we know little about, albeit Hylton had a great season last season so there is promise there and polworth will give us a solid spfl option, what exactly would you improve on?

what happens when we are through the first round of games, of the four quality players we signed, one is injured, one hasn't kicked on and we can't buy a win and the squad is down to the bare bones. you would be the first on here complaining about Robinsons transfer policy. 

Dundee utd changed there policy when they had assets at the club and look how that served them, 3 seasons in the championship and absolutely skint, to change our policy (which is working, and working well) is absolute madness.

• Like 1

It's a huge assumption to take a fee  of £600k as a given . That would only apply if Cadden headed to England or overseas. Is an English club going to see such a fee as good business?

More likely, if he goes,  he will move to the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen with no fee being agreed and then it's in the hands of a Tribunal. And that's a whole new ball game. Also the timing of any payment could possibly leave little or no time left in this transfer window. And we cannot spend money we don't have. There is also the possibility Cadden's agent will advise him to sign on for only one further year, in which case he could leave at the end of that year with no Development Fee due. Financially it might be to his benefit to go down that route as he would then be in a position to seek a large signing on fee elsewhere. We appear to have offered him a long term deal in an attempt to avoid that situation.  Time will tell but in reality MFC have little say in how it pans out.

2 hours ago, Yodo said:

Okay so we will just settle for signing players in the lower leagues in England who have lost their way but the good samaritans at Fir Park will take them on .Its quality we need to sign and as I said in a previous post while we have assets at the club it's not a gamble financially to spend a wee bit more than the budget 

If a player in the Scottish premiership or even league one is banging them in and in contract it is highly likely they’ll move to a championship team for a million+ which is totally unfeesable for us. Fair enough if they are out of contract we may stand a chance but we do the same every year and do it relatively successfully signing some out of favour players make them good, with a mix of lower league players who have had a good season and with some youngsters and a good core that already exists it may not win us trophies but for a team like is that ain’t gonna happen. One year we will get a good run in the cup(s) or even a high league finish like top 4.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Aye right spending more than our budget we tried that policy and all it returned was administration, we need to operate within our budget.  So it's bring in players that don't cost us much and sell them in if they do well for a profit, it has served us well recently, Moult,  Kipre, Johnson, Heneghan  all earned us big profits so I think the current strategy is working well.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/summer-signings

This is a few days old but given where some of our contemporaries have been signing their players, despite what the perception may be, we are hardly alone in recruiting from where we have.

Aberdeen recruiting from Barnsley, Northampton and Motherwell is not a million miles away from us signing players from Blackpool, Cambridge and Livingston.

Hibs have signed players from Barnsley and Rotherham, Livingston from Walsall, Ross County from the Championship.

There is nothing massively different in what we're doing compared to others.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Yodo said:

:lol:

This is a brilliant, brilliant post, tbh.

• David locked this topic