2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

A higher budget doesn’t guarantee success, unless we’re talking about out-spending the city clubs, which we can’t do because you can only spend what you have. We also tried that and the club almost died. Our player budget should always be a percentage of our regular income. Gambling the clubs existence for a slightly better chance of finishing 5-6th isn’t sustainable.

52 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

A higher budget doesn’t guarantee success, unless we’re talking about out-spending the city clubs, which we can’t do because you can only spend what you have. We also tried that and the club almost died. Our player budget should always be a percentage of our regular income. Gambling the clubs existence for a slightly better chance of finishing 5-6th isn’t sustainable.

Amen, I find it incredible anyone would advocate spending above our means in order to chase a top  six place, surely memories are not that short.

49 minutes ago, Ballso said:

Scotland Youth international Reece McAleer attracting the interest of Leicester and West Ham. Could be another to travel the same path as McKinstry and leaving before a first team appearance. 

Good player. More concerned about Turnbull right now :sorry:

Seeing as its the only place our fabled "Head of Recruitment" is capable of scouting, does anyone fancy having a look through North East English Non League Clubs to see who we are gonna bring in to replace Turnbull and stop us freefalling into the Championship next season?

The club better pull something special out because with the way we are punting off our best prospects with McKinstrey away and possibly MacAleer following closely, we might not have any Young talent to chuck into the team in January to rescue us like Robbo did this year!

• Like 3

In the morning light, this situation looks even more short sighted and bewildering than it did last night. 

Discussed this one with my father last night and his short take on it was that “it’ll drive even more fans away” and I can’t diasgree. We’ve built our entire marketing package for the new season around the ‘young team’ yet we appear more than willing and indeed enabling  to disintegrate it before it’s even started (also now reports of McAleer away), therefore what the club have been talking about has become redundant almost immediately. 

We were in a situation of not immediately requiring to service  debt thus flows comments are a little bizarre, considering most larger clubs haven’t begun doing their business yet. This isn’t a move to drive up the price, this is a move to signal that he is going to Celtic, long and short. 

I saw one comment from flow to suggest that the use for our new found wealth is to be debated however that quite frankly is utter shite. Our preseason starts in two weeks and with the best will in the world, if you’re prepared to sell our best player and biggest asset on the cheap, you better have a plan on what to do next; same in any industry. 

An overall disillusioned support are only going to be satisfied with one thing now and that is faces coming through the door whom they either know or have proven pedigree, a failure to do that and we could see a lower opening crowds than ever before.

This is a squad already bereft of quality and who’s one spark of, was Turnbull. 

With that now gone and no obvious plan of what’s next, I’m deeply concerned about next season and the clubs mentality. 

Yes, the stadium need work and I’m  sure the academy needs and deserves money however I, like many others, pay to the well society and attend matches to see a decent team on the park and be entertained. I don’t expect to watch Barcelona however I also don’t expect to watch the Conference league south or indeed the Scottish championship in 2 seasons.

Edit.

A second point of discussion.

We have quite clearly, brought in some chunky sums from player sales over the last 18 months. Moult, Hennegan, Kipre, Hastie (TBC). We’ve yet to see any of this reinvested in the playing squad in terms of bringing in players with a better base level of quality than those above when they were originally brought in. Shouldn’t that lead us to believe that we’re highly unlikely to see and detour from Robinson’s  original targets which are inevitably Lower league English players, even with this higher lump sum.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, fizoxy said:

So let's put this 3 million we have now under Burrows bed and only use it when and if needed . Aye a Saturday at FP will be right exciting watching Grimmy running about like a heedless chicken that will be the only thing worth watching .Robinson better start get some quality in or we will struggle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superward said:

Reece making some headlines too (The Sun):

BRENDAN RODGERS’ Leicester City and West Ham are both eyeing a move for promising Motherwell kid Reece McAlear.

I hope we don't sell him till 5 mins before the transfer deadline closes, there are enough people on this forum on the verge of a meltdown over Turnbull.:nod:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shaka said:

Seeing as its the only place our fabled "Head of Recruitment" is capable of scouting, does anyone fancy having a look through North East English Non League Clubs to see who we are gonna bring in to replace Turnbull and stop us freefalling into the Championship next season?

The club better pull something special out because with the way we are punting off our best prospects with McKinstrey away and possibly MacAleer following closely, we might not have any Young talent to chuck into the team in January to rescue us like Robbo did this year!

What about the 3 that featured at the end of the season? As well as Barry Maguire, Adam Livingstone and possibly Rohan Ferguson.

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I wouldn't bet on Rohan Ferguson replacing Carson or Gillespie.

The squad as it stands is poor and we will likely be back to Robinson's trademark hoofball unless we sign a creative midfielder and a goal scorer.

Nah I totally get that but he will have a chance like any other youngsters, whether that is pre season, injuries, suspensions etc. We did pay money for him and he is a relatively good goalie. I think we could possibly see Gillespie or Carson leaving this summer aswell. Both will be on some decent wedge I reckon and neither will want to settle being a back up.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

I wouldn't bet on Rohan Ferguson replacing Carson or Gillespie.

The squad as it stands is poor and we will likely be back to Robinson's trademark hoofball unless we sign a creative midfielder and a goal scorer.

Agree we need another 4 players in at least and also hope Tanner is fit.

Are we to assume that a new centre midfielder is on the shopping list now in addition to wingers and strikers? By my reckoning we've lost (or are losing) McHugh, Gorrin, Turnbull, Rose and Bigirimana from midfield in the last year and added Sloth. Do we reckon Polworth will play in centre midfield with Hylton and A.N. Other on the wings? Or are we banking on the left back being up to the task and Grimshaw going in at number 6? Or Liam Donnelly? 

Someone on here recently said that we had plenty of cover in centre midfield. Sloth, Campbell, Grimshaw and Donnelly is not plenty of cover. Unless we are banking on Semple making a huge impact, I'd say a centre midfielder should be quite high up on our list of priorities...

• David locked this topic