2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

11 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Are we to assume that a new centre midfielder is on the shopping list now in addition to wingers and strikers? By my reckoning we've lost (or are losing) McHugh, Gorrin, Turnbull, Rose and Bigirimana from midfield in the last year and added Sloth. Do we reckon Polworth will play in centre midfield with Hylton and A.N. Other on the wings? Or are we banking on the left back being up to the task and Grimshaw going in at number 6? Or Liam Donnelly? 

Someone on here recently said that we had plenty of cover in centre midfield. Sloth, Campbell, Grimshaw and Donnelly is not plenty of cover. Unless we are banking on Semple making a huge impact, I'd say a centre midfielder should be quite high up on our list of priorities...

I think we’ll be in the market for two midfielders. One to replace McHugh/Gorrin and one to pull the strings and feed all these wingers that we are after. 

Assuming Cadden finds a new club, I suspect we are looking at around 6 more signings.

If Turnbull goes i’ve no doubt at least some of the money is going to go to a couple of players we would not have been able to afford otherwise.  Again i’m seeing one or two posters who seem to feel the sale of Turnbull means we will automatically struggle, I have a feeling we may also lose Cadden so another player to replace but I would assume also further funds to replace him with.Yes the squad is light but when we say “why sell Turnbull so early in the window “it also means it’s still early to find replacements, the time to judge is when the squad is complete.

30 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I think we’ll be in the market for two midfielders. One to replace McHugh/Gorrin and one to pull the strings and feed all these wingers that we are after. 

Assuming Cadden finds a new club, I suspect we are looking at around 6 more signings.

I wouldn’t say 6 id say more 3/4. One being a striker hopefully announced this week or next. A no.10 type player who can provide some goals. Ariyibi back or another winger. Possibly another CB but I wouldn’t want to stall Maguires development so that is dependent on an outgoing such as Hartley.

Would be good if more youth players can be blooded in during the season but it will be up to the players to take the chance when they get them. I hope lessons are learned from trying to sign bench warmers instead of players pushing for a starting spot. 

Noticed few posters saying they expect cadden to leave.... anything behind this or just a feeling?

I'm thinking the opposite - maybe turnbull has been a distraction from it, but theres been little to no media attention around clubs interested in him which makes me think the development fee is a turn off. So for him it would make sense to sign for another year....

8 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Hold off for a wee while longer

Fair enough, but we don’t know what the other bids were like. Maybe they got 9 bids of around the million mark and then Celtic have came in with 3. As a club I just don’t think that is something we can turn down. 

1 hour ago, mfc88 said:

Noticed few posters saying they expect cadden to leave.... anything behind this or just a feeling?

I'm thinking the opposite - maybe turnbull has been a distraction from it, but theres been little to no media attention around clubs interested in him which makes me think the development fee is a turn off. So for him it would make sense to sign for another year....

The Sun reporting interest from Oxford this evening. 

9 hours ago, mfc88 said:

We can negotiate a lower development fee. 

If someone is willing to pay even £150k then that's extra money for the wages of a quality signing or a good loan. 

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We can negotiate a lower development fee. 

If someone is willing to pay even £150k then that's extra money for the wages of a quality signing or a good loan. 

Better yet, we could a actively tout and encourage  him to other spfl clubs and tell them we would be willing to accept 100K (ignore the other 500K we’re due) and sign someone From Gateshead to replace him. 

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Celtic fans seem to think we are after Johnston ir Henderson on loan. 

I don't think that would go down very well with the support :lol: 

Our support or the Celtic fans, I would have Johnston, he is a decent player, looks a good prospect

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Our support or the Celtic fans, I would have Johnston, he is a decent player, looks a good prospect

Our support. 

I'd say it's only a small minority of our fans who want to support a Celtic development squad.

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Celtic fans seem to think we are after Johnston ir Henderson on loan. 

I don't think that would go down very well with the support :lol: 

Morgan or Johnstone is what the press are reporting. 

In general terms, not specific to those two names, I'm not a huge fan of loans from other teams in the league (no matter who the team are) if its purely to send back and stops our youth coming through. On the other hand if it's a good player and we have no one better or ready in said position then I'd maybe  be tempted.  

42 minutes ago, superward said:

Morgan or Johnstone is what the press are reporting. 

In general terms, not specific to those two names, I'm not a huge fan of loans from other teams in the league (no matter who the team are) if its purely to send back and stops our youth coming through. On the other hand if it's a good player and we have no one better or ready in said position then I'd maybe  be tempted.  

Agree with you that we should only take a player if they are a good player and our youngest’s are not ready yet - which I think maybe the case or we would have seen them on the bench and getting game time towards the end of last season.

someone like Johnston as a 1 year gap filler surely is better than some journeyman who might or might not be good enough. 

59 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'd say it's only a small minority of our fans who want to support a Celtic development squad.

Well, I don't quite think that would be our main aim really, would it? We'd only take one of their players if we believe he could do us a turn next season. His development would be a by-product of us benefiting from having him in our team.

From my perspective it would be like bringing in a Tom Aldred on loan. I didn't see that signing as us helping his parent club out, I saw that as us getting a player that we needed for a season.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Well, I don't quite think that would be our main aim really, would it? We'd only take one of their players if we believe he could do us a turn next season. His development would be a by-product of us benefiting from having him in our team.

From my perspective it would be like bringing in a Tom Aldred on loan. I didn't see that signing as us helping his parent club out, I saw that as us getting a player that we needed for a season.

Exactly, however we aren’t competing with Aldreds parent club for domestic trophies  year after year

1 minute ago, Kmac said:

Exactly, however we aren’t competing with Aldreds parent club for domestic trophies  year after year

That's true, but if it's a choice between refusing a player who could come here, plug a gap and do a really good job for 99% of our season just in case we meet Celtic in a cup game, or taking the player and incorporating him into a side that helps us finish 6th instead of 8th then I'd be happy enough to trust the managers judgement.

If any player, from any club benefits Motherwell it’s all good. Could not care less if it benefits Celtic down the line, that’s going to happen regardless of who the player joins and Celtic will always be miles ahead of us anyway, different level of club. You don’t see premiership clubs down south saying we won’t take that Man Utd player because it might benefit them in two years time. We should be thinking about what’s best for Motherwell not Celtic. If we go down the line of blooding our own youngsters instead no problem, (if they are ready) but let’s not just cut off our nose to spite our face because it’s a certain club. If a player from any club  makes us stronger, provides better entertainment, and we gain financially by finishing higher we win. We refuse on principle and the player joins St Johnstone or Killy instead, we lose out to a genuine rival. Or maybe we only except loan players from Accies, they won’t be as good but we’ve done the right thing on principle.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't recall Bury fans wrecking our stadium,  Bury players cheating us o multiple occasions or any Bury manager attacking our players in the press. 

It's not really the same is it. 

You're being ridiculous. 

12 hours ago, johnstone said:

Fair enough, but we don’t know what the other bids were like. Maybe they got 9 bids of around the million mark and then Celtic have came in with 3. As a club I just don’t think that is something we can turn down. 

We don't know anything really...we're all assuming prices, sell-ons, add-ons, the players attitude etc...some of us might be being unfair on the Club, however I think we have an absolute star in the making here and selling so early in the window seems strange

• David locked this topic