2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, stuwell said:

Agree with you that we should only take a player if they are a good player and our youngest’s are not ready yet - which I think maybe the case or we would have seen them on the bench and getting game time towards the end of last season.

someone like Johnston as a 1 year gap filler surely is better than some journeyman who might or might not be good enough. 

We can't even get youngsters on the bench these days without our club flashing their knickers at potential buying clubs...

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Get that idea tae fuck...I still cannae get over Cillian Sheridan

Cillian has just finished with the Wellington Phoenix in the A League this season. He was sensational.

okay, he was pretty shite, but that is the standard here.

Mikey Johnston and Lewis Morgan are cracking talents from what I’ve seen with Scotland, while Henderson is reportedly on another level. I doubt any of them would be keen to leave Celtic prior to having the opportunity to impress during CL qualifiers but if there is scope to bring one in, we have to be all over it. 

In years gone by I was never keen on taking Premiership players on loan but in an era where the turnover of players is so high and few quality players stay beyond a season, why not? The primary disadvantage is obviously not being able to play against Celtic but the opportunity to have access to an exciting talent well beyond our budget for 34/35 league talents surely makes it worthwhile. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m not sure how being rediculous gives any validity to any point ?

I suppose it depends when the madness begins. You can either swim against the tide or join in the flow of general nonsense. 

I would add that I am a big fan of the theatre of the absurd and have also just returned from a funeral where I may have partaken of a little too much whisky.

17 minutes ago, The African said:

I suppose it depends when the madness begins. You can either swim against the tide or join in the flow of general nonsense. 

I would add that I am a big fan of the theatre of the absurd and have also just returned from a funeral where I may have partaken of a little too much whisky.

I can respect that.

42 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

In what way is it ridiculous...I wouldn't deal with that Club, if I could help it, just because of what they are and they're basic track record of being bawbags on and off the park

With all due respect, that's why you're not our CEO. You don't have to like someone or a particular company in order to do business with them.  It's purely business, and companies and individuals who can't stand each other partake in business deals regularly.

It really comes down to this. First of all, is the financial package acceptable to the club? And second, if there's any player being offered on loan, is it a player the manager believes could improve our side next season? 

If the answer is yes on both fronts, then you do the deal, irrespective of their track record of being bawbags.

6 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Yes, you quite often see Celtic and Rangers trading, you're entirely correct

I sense that you're allowing emotions to cloud your judgement on this, which is fair enough. I'd rather he went elsewhere too, but the realist in me knows that the club are doing what's best for us as a club.

As far as a loan player coming in from Celtic, if Robinson wants him and he can add something to our team next season then I have no issues with it happening.

1 minute ago, David said:

I sense that you're allowing emotions to cloud your judgement on this, which is fair enough. I'd rather he went elsewhere too, but the realist in me knows that the club are doing what's best for us as a club.

As far as a loan player coming in from Celtic, if Robinson wants him and he can add something to our team next season then I have no issues with it happening.

You can sense whatever you like, but I'd point blank refuse to deal with them, especially at this stage of Turnbulls development and particularly so early in the window.

The loan players from that place can also gtf

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

You can sense whatever you like, but I'd point blank refuse to deal with them, especially at this stage of Turnbulls development and particularly so early in the window.

Need to look st the big picture 

I would be quite excited to get any of the 2 or 3 players mentioned in on loan.A year’s loan is just the same as some of the contracts we are handing out .....They are all highly rated especially Morgan, when he was at St Mirren.If he can add same amount of goals as DT , am sure you will see it differently.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Need to look st the big picture 

I would be quite excited to get any of the 2 or 3 players mentioned in on loan.A year’s loan is just the same as some of the contracts we are handing out .....They are all highly rated especially Morgan, when he was at St Mirren.If he can add same amount of goals as DT , am sure you will see it differently.

We have grown men and women having full on melt downs and refusing to renew season tickets....good luck with getting some to see the bigger picture! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Yeah, but it wouldn't be up to just you, same as it's not just Burrow's call. There are other people involved, namely the player himself.

50 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I assume in the end it’s really all down to Turnbull?  If we had multiple offers and he wanted to got to a team that was not the best financial offer for MFC he could go that route, right? 

Not necessarily as it will depend whats in his contract.  We've agreed a £3m + fee with Celtic but we may have some say if the likes of Bournemouth were suddenly to put in a £3.2m offer with add ons. 

Now that Turnbull is officially away there is going to be a lot of expectation on the club to step up to the plate and actually recruit some quality. Looking through the squad just now we are severely lacking quality in a couple of key areas. I think we all need to be realistic about what is and isn't possible in terms of recruitment but I think a lot of fans have made some very decent arguments regarding our recruitment policy.

Personally my expectation is that we should be using a sensible amount of the money received to add to our current wage budget for the next couple of seasons. I would put emphasis on tying up our top couple of youth prospects on decent contracts but perhaps more importantly getting the signatures of targets we might have previously missed out on due to wage restrictions. I'm not talking about splurging here I am talking about getting 2-3 more quality first team players.

There has been some noise from Alan Burrows about how this money is going to transform the club. My suspicion is the club are going to look to invest heavily in either training facilities or some sort of academy venture. Whilst I am 100% for this sort of thing I think we need to get a balance of investing in the current team as well as looking to the future.

We cannot continue to produce this level of talent and let them go so quickly. We need to try and get at least a couple of seasons out boys and then move them on, not 6 months. My fear is if we continue to do this and not invest in the squad at an increased level we will slip down the league standings. Ultimately you need to adapt to your circumstances and we should not have the same budget this season as we did last.

Without Rodriquez Gorrin and Turnbull we have a gaping hole in midfield in terms of quality. If we are looking to play the football we played towards the end of last year we are going to need to invest some wages in getting a quality striker and centre midfield options as a minimum.

There's been a lot of different opinions on the whole Turnbull thing but ultimately the club needs to get the balance right here.  A lot of fans will become disillusioned if we do not use some of this money to try and improve upon the team in terms of quality. Lets be honest we all know what we sign up for being Motherwell fans but there has to be some sort of give and take.

27 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Now that Turnbull is officially away there is going to be a lot of expectation on the club to step up to the plate and actually recruit some quality. Looking through the squad just now we are severely lacking quality in a couple of key areas. I think we all need to be realistic about what is and isn't possible in terms of recruitment but I think a lot of fans have made some very decent arguments regarding our recruitment policy.

Personally my expectation is that we should be using a sensible amount of the money received to add to our current wage budget for the next couple of seasons. I would put emphasis on tying up our top couple of youth prospects on decent contracts but perhaps more importantly getting the signatures of targets we might have previously missed out on due to wage restrictions. I'm not talking about splurging here I am talking about getting 2-3 more quality first team players.

There has been some noise from Alan Burrows about how this money is going to transform the club. My suspicion is the club are going to look to invest heavily in either training facilities or some sort of academy venture. Whilst I am 100% for this sort of thing I think we need to get a balance of investing in the current team as well as looking to the future.

We cannot continue to produce this level of talent and let them go so quickly. We need to try and get at least a couple of seasons out boys and then move them on, not 6 months. My fear is if we continue to do this and not invest in the squad at an increased level we will slip down the league standings. Ultimately you need to adapt to your circumstances and we should not have the same budget this season as we did last.

Without Rodriquez Gorrin and Turnbull we have a gaping hole in midfield in terms of quality. If we are looking to play the football we played towards the end of last year we are going to need to invest some wages in getting a quality striker and centre midfield options as a minimum.

There's been a lot of different opinions on the whole Turnbull thing but ultimately the club needs to get the balance right here.  A lot of fans will become disillusioned if we do not use some of this money to try and improve upon the team in terms of quality. Lets be honest we all know what we sign up for being Motherwell fans but there has to be some sort of give and take.

Is he officially away ?

5 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

What if the loan player was Turnbull? 

31 minutes ago, ropy said:

What if the loan player was Turnbull? 

That would be a terrible idea. 

Personally not even a fan of being able to loan players to teams in the same division - but would hate to be developing a youngster for the benefit of another team in the Premiership.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Personally not even a fan of being able to loan players to teams in the same division - but would hate to be developing a youngster for the benefit of another team in the Premiership.

Wouldn't we be getting the benefit of said player for a season though? I don't understand this weird mentality that we're just developing a player for another club. We'd be gaining from having a player that the manager would consider a good signing in our team for a season, wouldn't we?

• David locked this topic