2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, David said:

Wouldn't we be getting the benefit of said player for a season though? I don't understand this weird mentality that we're just developing a player for another club. We'd be gaining from having a player that the manager would consider a good signing in our team for a season, wouldn't we?

What's weird about it? We're paying a salary to a competitor's employee so we can develop them (on the cheap) for the competitor.

And not only do we not get the benefit of playing the loanee against their employer, but we fill a spot in the first team that could have been used to develop one (or more) of our own players; which is a longer term benefit to the club.

I can't think of any other business that operates that way.

8 minutes ago, weeyin said:

What's weird about it? We're paying a salary to a competitor's employee so we can develop them (on the cheap) for the competitor.

And not only do we not get the benefit of playing the loanee against their employer, but we fill a spot in the first team that could have been used to develop one (or more) of our own players; which is a longer term benefit to the club.

Never heard of a secondment??

19 minutes ago, Q121 said:

Never heard of a secondment??

Only to a different part of the same business.

Never heard of an employee being loaned out a competitor for training (at the competitor's expense) and bringing them back in house a year later.

46 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Only to a different part of the same business.

Never heard of an employee being loaned out a competitor for training (at the competitor's expense) and bringing them back in house a year later.

Happens all the time in my line of work, my last two promotions in house were gained via going on secondment to competitor at the level at their cost to them come back to my main employer into the role I was doing elsewhere as I proved I was capable

• Thanks 1

The thing about loan deals is that it allows you to bring in a player that you normally wouldn't be able to afford. While we may have been paying a % of the wages of the loan players we've brought in their parent clubs are also footing part of the bill. It's the reason we were able to bring in guys like Ruddy and the Juke from Everton and is the reason guys like Aldred were never likely to sign permanently.

Unless they're dross it benefits everyone. The player gets experience and development, the parent club gets (hopefully) a better player after the loan, and  we get to build a squad while balancing the books.

Acknowledge it's not ideal to get players from the same division but sometimes opportunities arise that the club and coaching staff think will allow us to compete. 

Might not work in everyday work scenarios though I'm sure if you offered my employer a chance to bring in staff and only pay a % of their wages they'd bite your hand off.

• Like 1

It's irrational, but I'm not really a fan of loaning from other Scottish teams. If it's a with a view to buy, like Ciftci etc I can make exceptions, but helping develop a player for Celtic to widen the gap even further leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Anyway, hopefully we have no further dealings with Celtic for a while, in either direction.

34 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Trying to think of players we have had on loan from other Scottish clubs.

Sheridan 

Elliot

Gomis 

McBride 

Sammon 

Can't think of any more right now (red wine a factor? ) but those names are hardly a ringing endorsement...

McBride did very well on loan and Nadir was obviously a dream. 

Other clubs have done well on occasion. Christie was key to a good Aberdeen side and Henderson delivered the Scottish Cup for Hibs. 

I think we can forget about Johnston, Morgan and Henderson now though. 

Christie scored the winner against Aberdeen in a cup final last season. I wouldn't use him as an example. 

If we were offered Lewis Morgan for a year when he was St Mirren on the proviso that he would go to Celtic for free after I doubt we'd be biting anyone's hand off.

Not a great fan of loan deals but the three players mentioned will improve whatever team they get loaned out to which will make them harder to beat, so in that respect I’d rather have one of them in our team while our youth develop than have them lining up against us. 

15 hours ago, weeyin said:

Because you're making it sound as though the benefits are all one-way, which isn't the case at all.

Any player we bring in on loan is obviously recruited on the basis that our manager believes he's better than anyone we currently have, or could get otherwise, to play that position. A better player means a better team, which hopefully means a higher league placing, which means more money (although apparently the extra money from league placings doesn't really matter to some fans).

Does having a player out on loan benefit the parent club? Of course it does, otherwise what's the point in them doing it? Everyone benefits theoretically. The player gets game time, the parent club sees their player get some experience, and the loan club gets a player that the manager believes will improve the side.

What I am against is loaning in absolute fucking lumps like Conor Sammon. If a potential loan player isn't good enough to play for the first team and add some quality that we don't already have then there's no point in doing such a deal.

But if Celtic, Rangers, or any other club for that matter, are looking to loan out a player and our manager thinks "yeah, that lad could do us a real turn. He's of the quality we'd likely never get otherwise and he can improve our team" then I'd have no issue at all with the manager sounding the player out.

• Like 1

I think that if you can bring in the right player on loan , then he can also develop our own young players. Not only on the pitch but also in things such as attitude, what the football world is all about including the pitfalls to avoid. The only bit that irks me is that a loanee is not allowed to feature against his parent club per Scottish rules. So you could have an essential part of your team missing a really important match. In some other countries whether he can play or not is left up to the clubs. Anybody who improves Motherwell is welcome in my eyes.....well almost anybody but certainly Morgan and the other Celtic players mentioned.

5 hours ago, dennyc said:

I think that if you can bring in the right player on loan , then he can also develop our own young players. Not only on the pitch but also in things such as attitude, what the football world is all about including the pitfalls to avoid. The only bit that irks me is that a loanee is not allowed to feature against his parent club per Scottish rules. So you could have an essential part of your team missing a really important match. In some other countries whether he can play or not is left up to the clubs. Anybody who improves Motherwell is welcome in my eyes.....well almost anybody but certainly Morgan and the other Celtic players mentioned.

5 hours ago, dennyc said:

Dead right if you can't play them against their parent club then what is the point of having them in our team 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Dead right if you can't play them against their parent club then what is the point of having them in our team 

I note you picked out the only negative bit in the post. All in all, the right player on loan at the right time will be of benefit to any Club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Eh, cause you can play them in 40-50 odd other games!

Why not do it?  Regardless of what club they go on loan to they are helping the loaner club. So we might as well get some advantage out of it rather than another Team. 

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Saw a tweet from someone it was around the £200k mark

Seems a bit low for the time he’s been with us.  Unless they have put in a sell on clause as compensation. 

If true then how low will Hastie’s be?

• David locked this topic