2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

55 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Love the way the BBC describe Turnbull as 'Celtic Target' rather then 'Motherwell Player'.  Wanks !

As I said at the time the original news broke - if Turnbull signs for Celtic, for the rest of his career the Scottish media will refer to him as "Celtic Starlet" and "ex-Celt". This is a perfect example.

32 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't realistically see the sale of Turnbull changing our budget. And it shouldn't...

If Cadden and Turnbull go as it looks like they will more a case of which area to strengthen

40 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I don't realistically see the sale of Turnbull changing our budget. And it shouldn't...

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I certainly hope it doesn't. We need to stick to our model.

I think we should certainly stick to a similar 'model' but it would be pretty backwards IMO to stick to the same budget as we had last year. Adapting to your circumstances is normal.

There is a clear middle ground between John Boyle splurging and having one of the lowest wage budgets in the league.

The money coming in is going to clear off our debt with a few million to spare right? A small increase in wage outlay seems pretty reasonable to me. This would hopefully let Robinson capture the type boys he has previously missed out on down south due to wage restrictions and also let us invest in a small number of youth prospects contracts for the future.

A miser type approach after clearing the debt is going to drive away fans. It is honestly depressing to me that some of our fans would accept the club not increasing investment in the playing squad.

• Like 1

We will be adapting to our circumstances if we stick to the same model. Our circumstances being that we need to break even, service our debt to pay off Boyle and Hutchinson, renovate our pitch, maintain the stadium, and invest in the academy and its facilities (which from the Maurice Ross interview seems to be taking a financial hit this year) etc.

If, at the end of next season we find we have more budget available once we take care of all of the above then maybe we can reconsider, but the last thing we need to be doing is splashing out extra cash on transfers and salaries for 2 or 3 year deals then incur an unexpected cost in 2020 that screws us over. 

Just now, Lukemfc1 said:

A small increase in wage outlay seems pretty reasonable to me. 

Alan Burrows has already said that SR will receive a modest increase in his playing budget and you're right it is perfectly reasonable. Polwarth is an attacking central midfielder. We are badly short of wingers. I'm certain that management wiĺl bring in another 3/4 midfielders and strikers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

Alan Burrows has already said that SR will receive a modest increase in his playing budget and you're right it is perfectly reasonable. Polwarth is an attacking central midfielder. We are badly short of wingers. I'm certain that management wiĺl bring in another 3/4 midfielders and strikers. 

I would expect that the small increase in budget will be used to bring in additional players in our current wage structure, though, rather than fewer (but higher paid) players.

17 minutes ago, Lukemfc1 said:

A miser type approach after clearing the debt is going to drive away fans. It is honestly depressing to me that some of our fans would accept the club not increasing investment in the playing squad.

It’s called realism.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

It’s called realism.

If we continue to sell off our best players and bring in cash there is no reason why should continue to operate with the playing budget we currently have.

The club can be applauded for the amount of money we have brought in from transfers but it is pretty pointless if somewhere down the line you are not going to put this investment back into the playing squad. There comes a point where you need to reinvest some of the money in the playing budget. Not doing this would be bad business sense. I'm not saying we won't btw, that remains to be seen but I can assure your Robinson is going to be asking the question.

I can't understand any Motherwell fan who would genuinely want us to continue to take in transfer fee's (after going debt-free) and not reinvest some of this in the playing squad.

Phase 1 - getting out of debt has basically been completed

Phase 2 - should not be the same as before.

Other Clubs have kept downgrading and eventually it has bitten them in the bum. Dundee Utd being a prime example. And they then compounded the mistake by spending unwisely in a state of panic. Think Scott McDonald for one.

its all about balance and we are unlikely to sign a Turnbull like quality,  although in time hopefully the Youth set up will come up with another gem.

Meantime we are in the rare position of being able to reasonably increase our budget in an afford to attract a better level of quality with a view to top 6 and a shiny big cup.  Our Manager and Chief Exec sing the praises of our scouting network so let’s get them looking at a slightly higher level. 

Otherwise the downgrade continues and, although financially more secure for a time, a return to mind numbing viewing and nail biting is a possibility. I suppose I’m  again making a plea for quality over quantity from lower and non league levels. Assuming of course we can get quality players to sign up.

We have an opportunity here, on and off the park. Let’s not waste it by thinking purely Corporate.  And the next kick on will come when we net further millions when David Turnbull moves on in two to three years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lukemfc1 said:

If we continue to sell off our best players and bring in cash there is no reason why should continue to operate with the playing budget we currently have.

The club can be applauded for the amount of money we have brought in from transfers but it is pretty pointless if somewhere down the line you are not going to put this investment back into the playing squad. There comes a point where you need to reinvest some of the money in the playing budget. Not doing this would be bad business sense. I'm not saying we won't btw, that remains to be seen but I can assure your Robinson is going to be asking the question.

I can't understand any Motherwell fan who would genuinely want us to continue to take in transfer fee's (after going debt-free) and not reinvest some of this in the playing squad.

Phase 1 - getting out of debt has basically been completed

Phase 2 - should not be the same as before.

I’ve read some sanctimonious pish spouted here over the past week or so, but, this goes beyond the pale.

You can't understand any Motherwell fan who would genuinely want us to continue to take in transfer fee's (after going debt-free) and not reinvest some of this in the playing squad?

Pray tell me - who has intimated that on here?

Definitely a case of quality over quantity for most I’d wager - that’s where realism comes into it for me.

By your reckoning - the cutting of the first sod on proper training/academy facilities may not happen as long as we increase the budget for the perceived extra quality and his WAG tramp gets the latest Louis Vuitton handbag.

There has to be a balance, they aren’t daft.  Our Chief Executive has stated as much. Now up to him and the board to deliver on all fronts.

Our wages should be based on our regular income. That’s the only way to stay sustainable. One off windfalls should in the main be used for one off expenses, or areas where a return on investment is more likely - like youth development facilities, or repairs and upgrades that may reduce our ongoing costs.

Doubling our wage budget doesn’t guarantee us success, and we have learned twice in the last 15 or so years that overspending and getting it wrong could be catastrophic. We’re still paying back Boyle and Hutchinson for those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Our wages should be based on our regular income. That’s the only way to stay sustainable. One off windfalls should in the main be used for one off expenses, or areas where a return on investment is more likely - like youth development facilities, or repairs and upgrades that may reduce our ongoing costs.

Doubling our wage budget doesn’t guarantee us success, and we have learned twice in the last 15 or so years that overspending and getting it wrong could be catastrophic. We’re still paying back Boyle and Hutchinson for those.

I might have missed it, but has anyone suggested doubling our player Budget? If so apologies . A modest increase in an attempt to improve quality in a non Turnbull side is what I have read proposed. Not Boyle type extravagance.

And much of the expenditure you outline should already be included in existing Budgets... such as our annual pitch renewal. By all means carefully improve maintenance Budget as well but please let’s not ignore the playing side ....within reason.

Without the Turnbull and Hastie rescue act this season we were in the shit. Let’s not get back to that level because we solely increase our infrastructure expenditure. There is scope for both if correctly managed. And I’m sure that’s what Alan Burrows suggested.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I’ve read some sanctimonious pish spouted here over the past week or so, but, this goes beyond the pale.

You can't understand any Motherwell fan who would genuinely want us to continue to take in transfer fee's (after going debt-free) and not reinvest some of this in the playing squad?

Pray tell me - who has intimated that on here?

Definitely a case of quality over quantity for most I’d wager - that’s where realism comes into it for me.

By your reckoning - the cutting of the first sod on proper training/academy facilities may not happen as long as we increase the budget for the perceived extra quality and his WAG tramp gets the latest Louis Vuitton handbag.

There has to be a balance, they aren’t daft.  Our Chief Executive has stated as much. Now up to him and the board to deliver on all fronts.

If you care to actually read the thread there has been suggestions from folk that taking in of monies from transfer fee's should not be used to increase our playing budget... I am suggesting that there should be a small increase in this following the money we will receive for Turnbull, Hastie & Cadden. Moving forward I am suggesting that now that we are debt free a proportion of future transfer money should be reinvested in the playing budget. This is hardly any sort of madcap proposal here.

Like I have said here (and previously) I think it is perfectly acceptable that fans expect the club to give a little back to the playing squad when we have upwards of 3.5 million pound coming in.

No one has suggested splurging cash, I am suggesting we pay a couple of boys a bit more in the first team so that we can try to attract some better quality. This would put us on a similar level for playing budget with the likes of Kilmarnock rather than Accies. We can keep the same model at it's core but recruit a couple of boys at a slightly better level of quality and sell the players on in the same manner as we already do.

There is a clear middle ground between John Boyle and continuing to budget for 10th place regardless of our transfer incoming's. Sanctimonious? I honestly take it as a given that you as a fan would want the club to strive to be better.

As for spouting pish.. WAGs and LV handbags are just hyperbole when the majority of the guys in the squad are on 'hee-haw' by footballing standards.

• Like 1

I think it would be good to give SR a slight increase in budget if he has a target or two that he seriously believes  would lift us up a couple of places, without breaking the bank of course. 

But I believe from listening the podcast with Maurice Ross it would be better to invest more into the youth setup as we then hopefully can develop a core of talented players who know the club's identity and we can then supplement it with more experienced players. That would be an ideal world and we do need a balance. 

• Like 1

All about the balance, with the debt paid off I would expect a sensible increase in the budget alongside investment in youth and the stadium.  Certainly  not in favour of forgetting past mistakes and trying to spend our way to potential success.

• Like 2

We shouldnt change our model.

You have to budget for income you can guarantee.

However, if we are no longer servicing debt. The money that was being used to do that will be freed up to spend on other things.

Going forward, if we sell a player, that money will now be spent on things that we as fans should see a tangible difference in.

Whether that be stadium improvements, academy investments or modest increases in players contracts.

If done wisely should allow us to improve year on year.

• David locked this topic