2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I am pretty shocked folk seem to be suggesting we have to have a change in the model/budgets

Why Busta? I agree our model, which has been very successful, should not change. However budgets, be they Academy or facilities, will change- they have to otherwise transfer monies will gather dust in bank accounts. I'm sure our windfalls will change several budgets for the better. 

I'd like to think that when the debt is cleared, we would be able to approach lower league/junior teams for their hot prospects in the way bigger teams approach us for ours.

We react like rabid dogs to anything over 500k for one of our players. If their management are astute they would have any players with potential on a decent contact and I assume the likes of a Morton would find 100k a windfall of their own. Being able to offer 100k as a transfer fee before they become a free agent and open to the wage bidding frenzy with a plan of punting them on for at least 5x that in a few years plus has to be an added option for us now. I would hope enters our acquisition policy with the Turnbull/Hastie/McKinstry/Cadden (plus maybe Cedric sell on) windfalls in the region of potentially 4.5m this summer.

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

Hope it's just a turn of phrase, note Steven Robinson on SSN saying we hoped to add "a couple more" signings  Really hope we're looking for more than two more players. ..

True. Without Turnbull and Hastie we have literally no goals in team. Badly need quality striker and quality goal scoring midfielder. Be good to use some of transfer fees to get right  guys before others do.

I think with the summer we have had so far the club really need a signing to excite the fans. I’m hoping Gboly could be it. 

However if it’s more lower league English unknowns I think we will be a tough group to please this year.... more than usual. 

Going to be hard on our budget but if not we could be in for a long hard slog. 

Agree with Melvin that we need I think 4 more signings. 

True we need some positives on the field. Looseing our younger players that didnt even play first team games to England is even more soul destroying. At times it seems like a production line of products to sell on and quality on park always suffers. I'm tired of losing players every time they have a few good games. I was hoping to keep some of the quality young players as core to have a real go in the cups.  Even if replacements do well when they come in. That means theres a fair chance they could be off by xmas and miss scots cup. Only so much you can take of that. Getting tiresome. Would be richer club  but less fans. Probably not go too often this season unless we get more inspiring replacements.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Are we meant to be confirming a signing today? 

Flow stated on Twitter yesterday that we were hoping to get one signed today.

However if I am honest it may not be the best day as I imagine there will be a fair backlash from the Turnbull stuff and the signing could get lost in a lot of shite. 

I just hope to god that now he is away, Polworth isnt seen as the  stand in for Turnbull! Polworth will set up plenty, but couldnt score with a blank cheque. So if he is, we need as a minimum 3 more strikers/wingers capable of scoring the goals to keep us up

5 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I just hope to god that now he is away, Polworth isnt seen as the  stand in for Turnbull! Polworth will set up plenty, but couldnt score with a blank cheque. So if he is, we need as a minimum 3 more strikers/wingers capable of scoring the goals to keep us up

I imagine Sloth was brought in with a view to replacing Turnbull.

As Turnbull was the most accurate shooter in the SPFL last season (with the highest percentage of on target shots) and scored more goals from difficult positions than other player in the SPFL, there is zero chance anyone we bring in can replace that.

I don’t think a couple is enough, I’d expect at least 3, but kind we’ve already signed Gallagher, Polworth, Carroll, Hylton, Sloth and Long, and have Semple and Livingstone in the first team squad. 

I can see another striker coming in, and definitely another winger, and hopefully more midfield cover, but we’re not replacing Turnbull, those kind of players cost 3million plus :-)

I think we’re perpetually linked with lafferty. I don’t like him but you’d be kidding yourself if you think he wouldn’t be a good signing, especially in our system.

4 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I think we are still looking at 5 or 6 signings, particularly if Hartley and Johnson are offloaded. Given the risk attached to the loss of Turnbull, Hastie and Aldred, hopefully we are able to invest in one or two players that have a bit of pedigree. 

I agree that 4 more signings would be a minimum I'd expect. We've lost our 9 or 10 first team players this summer. Look particularly thin in midfield and attack...

4 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I agree that 4 more signings would be a minimum I'd expect. We've lost our 9 or 10 first team players this summer. Look particularly thin in midfield and attack...

True, the issue is that it needs to be 4 stick on starters which will require reinvestment

Definitely another 2 right now, a striker is a must and then maybe a midfielder to challenge in the attacking midfielder or defensive either or. Then maybe looking to bring in a few loans near the back end of the window or players who’s future has been resolved and told they can move on. Hopefully gboly can be signed.

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

Are we signing Lafferty? Seeing this banded about online. Would completely compound an utter bawkick of a 36 hours

Why would that be bad, Lafferty would be a great signing for us, big strong striker, who puts himself about, Lots of experience, and scores a decent amount of goals, so what's not to like.

• David locked this topic