2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

2 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Another concern I have with Shankland is that he carries a bit of weight and isn’t the quickest. I have a suspicion that he won’t be as effective when stepping up a league. Might be why he hasn’t found a club down south yet.

It’s a real step up, I’m also not as convinced as some are.

2 hours ago, walking down the Fir Park said:

100% correct - when out of contract the only control we have is agreeing a development fee with other club should one be due.  If two clubs can’t agree it goes to a tribunal 

Could the two clubs not agree a lower development fee in return for a sell on fee?

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I don't think Shankland is what we need. From what i've seen he is a poacher when we need someone who can lead the line and score.

Does it matter how the goals go in, Ally McCoist made a career of poaching goals and scoring from a yard out. If  Shankland was able to bang in 15 or 20 goals a season nobody would care how they went in.

That said it's a big step up in class from championship to the premiership so not sure if he would be up to it, but may be worth a punt.

15 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Does it matter how the goals go in, Ally McCoist made a career of poaching goals and scoring from a yard out. If  Shankland was able to bang in 15 or 20 goals a season nobody would care how they went in. 

Obviously!

But whoever is playing up front for us will have to do a lot of work before they get any chances if we stick with the 4-2-3-1. It's like Kris Boyd, you can be a great finisher at one level and a complete diddy at the next one.

3 hours ago, stuwell said:

Could the two clubs not agree a lower development fee in return for a sell on fee?

I guess they could, in theory. But it would be up to Oxford to agree to that I think, as we've not really got that many other clubs looking as though they're willing to pay the developmental fee.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

I don't think Shankland is what we need. From what i've seen he is a poacher when we need someone who can lead the line and score.

I mind seeing Shankland for Aberdeen reserves and wasn’t particularly impressed, despite scoring against us. He did look an out and out poacher that day. Interestingly though, Ian McCall said recently that’s he unsure whether 9 or 10 will be his best position, which suggests he’s may be developing into a more versatile forward. 

Anyway, there’s no chance of us getting him at this stage in his career with Sunderland, Hearts and Rangers previously signalling interest. 

11 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

What's your 3 in midfield in this scenario? Just curious as I reckon we're quite light in there...

Was going with Campbell/sloth and polworth. However you have grimmy/Donnelly as cover in there as well. 

As well as Semple and Cornelius who have played in there towards the end of last season

Not flush with options but enough in there. Midfield to front is where we need strengthened in my opinion

Think we have enough in. Dunne/Hartley/Gallagher/Tait/grim my/the new lad (forget his name)/ Livingstone at the back with mcguire and Devine as cover as well.

would like to see us a bit more flush with options up the top end . 

Id put scott out on loan for a few months with a recall option, didn’t see enough last season to see him as a first choice, albeit I’d love him to come back in and do a turnbull/hastie albeit less the old firm move at the end of the season

22 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s a real step up, I’m also not as convinced as some are.

Same, tbh. Polworth less of a risk as he's played at this level and played well, previously. 

Shankland seems to have really turned his career around after faltering after going to Aberdeen, but I wouldn't be massively confident of him leading the line for us on the 3rd of August.

• David locked this topic