2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, Lukemfc1 said:

Despite all this we know that Mr Tait is going to end up at LB at some point as is tradition

Depends on the quality of those we have recruited. I would hope at some point we have the right player for the position

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I've just watched SR's interview ahead of the QoS game. It doesn't sound like any more players will be coming in.

Is that the one on Twitter?

On there he says "We are very close to being done. We still have a little bit left if something came up that suited us, perhaps in the forward area"

11 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

We used to do decent interview videos with the new signings, seems to be lacking this season, what happened?

Alan Burrows and Grant Russell were discussing this on Twitter the other day.

They felt the interviews (questions) were becoming boring/predictable, so patched them

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That's impressive even by your standards, 2 hrs after the signing confirmed and the 1st less than complimentary comment. :mellow:

Espeically after he was bigging him up for being Croatian earlier in the thread.

33 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That's impressive even by your standards, 2 hrs after the signing confirmed and the 1st less than complimentary comment. :mellow:

It's not a comment about the player. I was talking about the club rebranding a full back as an attacking midfielder.

• Like 1

Based on us almost having a new team to pick from, what would be your starting 11?

Carson

Carrol

Hartley

Dunne

Tait

Sloth

Campbell

Grimshaw

Ilic

Long

Seedorf

I honestly just made all that up, but when you look at the squad now we have a huge amount to choose from. And if Tanner is back fit and Turnbull is back before Christmas then it’s looking very promising.

On the post above. 

I think Gillespie will start as No1 Keeper as he has done nothing wrong to be dropped for now anyway. 

I also think that Declan Gallagher will be an ever present in central defence so Hartley probably on the bench. 

I have no idea on midfield and up front other than Campbell and Long will start as will Ilic most probably if he is as good as they say. I like the look of Hylton but whether he will be consistent enough only time will tell. 

And then pick two from Polworth, Sloth, Cole and Seedorf. 

Who knows....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Based on us almost having a new team to pick from, what would be your starting 11?

Carson

Carrol

Hartley

Dunne

Tait

Sloth

Campbell

Grimshaw

Ilic

Long

Seedorf

I honestly just made all that up, but when you look at the squad now we have a huge amount to choose from. And if Tanner is back fit and Turnbull is back before Christmas then it’s looking very promising.

I think we are more likely to see a new midfield three of Campbell/Donnelly or McGuire/Polworth or Sloth. 

• Like 1

Its hard to tell this morning but maybe we'll be a little clearer by 3pm today.  Selection wise, things may not become totally clear until late September.  Based on the type of player, and not individual performance, I'd reckon Sloth would be a reasonable bet to start as he seems to be in the Gorrin "all rounder" mould - the only player of that type in the squad. Midfield and up front would appear to be the hardest areas to pick.  

Picked up from FPC, but I reckon although we seem to be well off for lads who can play "across the front 3", we're still short of an old fashioned out and out  No 9 striker.  I'm not convinced of Danny Johnson and perhaps James Scott will go out on loan?

So many new players  its hard to judge, before our first competitive game, how they'll all fit to the management's plans for the upcoming campaign.   

As others have said, with so many new faces it's hard to say with any certainty our first choice eleven. 

Only two names that I'd say are 100% starters are Tait and Campbell. Pretty confident that Dunne will start due to his pace. 

I suspect that Sloth will not take the Gorrin role and we're more likely to see Donnelly or Maguire take the 'number 6' role in midfield. Which of them may depend on who adapts to the role quicker. Which would leave it between Sloth and Polworth for the third midfield spot. To me, this is where Robinson will succeed or fail. Obviously we're hoping that a striker will contribute more goals than Main did last season but a lot of the burden for assists and goals may fall to the third 'attacking' midfielder. No one should be expecting Sloth or Polworth to match Turnbull's numbers but they'll have to contribute and for me it's Robinson's most crucial decision. 

Up front? Cole has some degree of a scoring record but Long has got a couple in pre-season so is the jersey his to lose? I haven't seen any of the three wingers play so wouldn't like to comment. Ilic played more first team football so may be more ready? Seedorf would be my guess for the guy to miss out. Maybe more a work in progress?

At least we have some options now. Whether any of them are any good, time will tell...

• David locked this topic