2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

27 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

For me, the hilarious part of the article is "helped establish them in the top flight". 

Stephen Robinson was 10 the last time we were not in the top flight.  Think we're pretty well established in the top flight...

43 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

And why not, he’s established  himself at this level and done a perfectly acceptable job after Barraclough and McGee. I believe he’s still developing as a manager and has shown he’s willing to change. Along with Foyle they have shown they are able to identify decent players on a tight budget while they have to deal with constantly losing our better players. 

• Like 1

Things are maybe slightly, very slightly, clearer, squad wise tonight.  It would now appear that having several "wide" players on paper, we only have 2 out and out wingers in Seedorf and Hylton.  I'm still not clear though that we have a traditional number 9, with the exception of Scott.   In midfield, Donnelly appears to be more in the McHugh mould than in the Gorrin one.  In other words more of a defensive player than an all rounder.  Maybe still scope to bring in one more striker and and another winger? 

Based on Robinson's comments during the week I suspect there's maybe money for one more or possibly a loanee if there's a glaring issue identified before the window closes and we've got a few league games under our belt. But I took from it, our business is pretty much done.

Ideal world for me would be a return for Gboly to help with competition (plus he's a known quantity) but I think he caught enough attention of others in this league with deeper pockets when he was here.

As for the traditional number 9, we have Long but what about Danny Johnson? Correct me if I'm wrong, you see that as a back to goal player who can function alone?If so, it appears Robinson thinks he can't.

We now favour a 4-3-2-1 which evolved from what didn't really return much success before Christmas. In that there's not much scope to put say the big target man in Scott with the penalty box striker in Johnson, especially when one has just broken through and the other has been continually overlooked.

I think we’ve saved a bit in the budget for a number 9, possibly a loan that could become available later in the window. 

Could maybe see Scott going out on loan or Johnson moving on if so. 

Don’t see any wingers or Gboly coming in now. 

9 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

As for the traditional number 9, we have Long but what about Danny Johnson? Correct me if I'm wrong, you see that as a back to goal player who can function alone?If so, it appears Robinson thinks he can't.

We now favour a 4-3-2-1 which evolved from what didn't really return much success before Christmas. In that there's not much scope to put say the big target man in Scott with the penalty box striker in Johnson, especially when one has just broken through and the other has been continually overlooked.

I see Danny Johnson as being more of a penalty box player, not suited to playing a lone striker role.  It seems he isn't top of the management's list for this or other reasons.  Unless we play with 2 out and out strikers then I can't see where he fits into the team.   I don't think James Scott is quite ready yet and he may yet go out on loan to a Championship club. So that could leave us with Cole and Long. 

Hopefully we can see Cole play a game or 2 in the No.9 spot before making any judgement. Long is a very capable performer at striker and could score some goals for us. So personally I’d rather wait until we definitely need someone in that position as we already have 4 strikers for 1 spot.

I dont see us making any more signings unless someone becomes available that is too good to turn down. Not many of those are gonna fancy Motherwell unless we get in before anyone else.

We have pretty much 2 players for every position.

A goalscorer or creative midfielder until Turnbull gets fit would be the only areas for me.

Gillespie, Carson

Tait, Grimshaw

Carroll, Livingstone

Gallagher, Dunne, Hartley, Maguire

Sloth, Donnelly, Campbell, Semple, Turnbull

Seedorf, Ilic

Cole, Hylton

Long, Scott, Johnson

Pretty decent squad on the face of it. Any additional money spent should focus solely on quality.

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Gillespie, Carson

Tait, Grimshaw

Carroll, Livingstone

Gallagher, Dunne, Hartley, Maguire

Sloth, Donnelly, Campbell, Semple, Turnbull

Seedorf, Ilic

Cole, Hylton

Long, Scott, Johnson

Pretty decent squad on the face of it. Any additional money spent should focus solely on quality.

Forgot Polworth and there is the slim possibility that Tanner may return...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Forgot Polworth and there is the slim possibility that Tanner may return...

I heard Tanner saying to someone outside Palmerston that he was hoping to be back playing in a few weeks. Presumably it’ll be a while before he’s back in the first team. 

What was Tanner’s injury again? He’s been out that long I can’t actually remember what the issue was. 

18 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I heard Tanner saying to someone outside Palmerston that he was hoping to be back playing in a few weeks. Presumably it’ll be a while before he’s back in the first team. 

What was Tanner’s injury again? He’s been out that long I can’t actually remember what the issue was. 

Cruciate knee?

28 minutes ago, Stu92 said:

I’m pretty sure he snapped his patella tendon (knee cap).

Definitely need a Gorrin level player in midfield. Donnelly is not the answer. I recall seeing him for the first time against Darlington last year at RB and posting to the effect that defensively he might be better than Tait but his distribution was poor. Nothing i have seen so for has changed my opinion.

3 hours ago, Stu92 said:

I spoke to Tanner at Palmerston on Saturday and he said that he was going to be playing in a reserve game against Dundee a week on Tuesday 

Not sure where it’s going to take place

Wished him all the best and he seemed upbeat about the outcome but also said it would take time for him to get up to match speed 

3 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

I spoke to Tanner at Palmerston on Saturday and he said that he was going to be playing in a reserve game against Dundee a week on Tuesday 

Not sure where it’s going to take place

Wished him all the best and he seemed upbeat about the outcome but also said it would take time for him to get up to match speed 

Presume he handpicked Dundee for a return given his record against them!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Villageman said:

Definitely need a Gorrin level player in midfield. Donnelly is not the answer. I recall seeing him for the first time against Darlington last year at RB and posting to the effect that defensively he might be better than Tait but his distribution was poor. Nothing i have seen so for has changed my opinion.

I think most of us were not convinced of Donnelly last season. But he is due every chance to prove he is worth retaining and playing a key role in the 1st team this coming season. Looks like midfield will be his position and there is quite a bit of competition with Turnbull also to come further down the line. 

I have actually started to believe there is a player there and he may well come good. 2 goals in last 2 competitive games (albeit one a penalty) gives me some encouragement there is a future for him in midfield. 

I've never been into this "find someone to replace X" theory. When we sign new players, we need to play to the strengths of those guys, not try and make them play like their predecessors. 

Of course you need a basic shape, but as we showed in the 2nd half of last season, that shape should be dictated by the personnel. Many a good player has been wasted by trying to play them out of position. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I think most of us were not convinced of Donnelly last season. But he is due every chance to prove he is worth retaining and playing a key role in the 1st team this coming season. Looks like midfield will be his position and there is quite a bit of competition with Turnbull also to come further down the line. 

I have actually started to believe there is a player there and he may well come good. 2 goals in last 2 competitive games (albeit one a penalty) gives me some encouragement there is a future for him in midfield. 

Agreed - though from his limited game time last season, I think you're being kind that "most of us were not convinced"  - he was poor. Even given their limited resources, it was difficult to see why he was NI's record u-21 cap holder. Like you I think there is a player there and clearly Robinson likes someone in the McHugh mould to break things down in the middle of the park and protect the back four.  It's early days and I've only seen him against QOS, so perhaps not the best game on which to base an opinion, but he was definitely more mobile than McHugh and possibly Gorrin. Be interesting to see if he kicks on from this opportunity.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:49 AM, MelvinBragg said:

For me, the hilarious part of the article is "helped establish them in the top flight". 

Stephen Robinson was 10 the last time we were not in the top flight.  Think we're pretty well established in the top flight...

If he hadn’t taken over when he did , we might have ended up in first division 

• David locked this topic