2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Certainly possilbe with the weird salary caps and roster rules that US sports teams are subjected to. Not unusual for players to join a squad and then be offloaded without playing to make room for someone else's wages.

It looks like a scam to get around compensation.

Not sure how the scam would work. Are Oxford going to give Columbus the fee Columbus pays us, then take him on loan while Columbus pay a portion of his wages then pay a transfer fee?

I think the lawyers and agents would end up earning more than any money they'd save.

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not sure how the scam would work. Are Oxford going to give Columbus the fee Columbus pays us, then take him on loan while Columbus pay a portion of his wages then pay a transfer fee?

I think the lawyers and agents would end up earning more than any money they'd save.

This potentially saves Oxford £200K on compensation and Columbus get Cadden's future MLS rights which means if he ever did move to MLS they get money like Seattle got money when Andy Rose moved to Vancouver.

Even if FIFA decide that Oxford is a higher Category club than Columbus, it seems like an overly complicated arrangement that, as well as raising the interests of the tax man both sides of the Atlantic, is a pretty speculative deal for Columbus.

Surely they could use that money (and space in their salary capped roster) to bring in a player that would actually play for them and that they could trade later for future MLS rights. 

I don't see how this loan arrangement would be better for them. 

Regardless of the ins and outs of whatever deal he ends up with, Cadden should be be one of the poster boys of our development model. Coming through the youth system to make over 100 league appearances and winning a couple of international caps is a pretty impressive example. 

And still only 22, despite the fact he feels like one of the senior players.

2 hours ago, Stu92 said:

Comments in Robinson's press conference alude to us maybe not actively pursuing anyone but able to act should someone of starting quality fall into our price range later in the window.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2019/07/18/manager-speaks-ahead-of-morton/

I've a slightly different take on his quote.  I took from his interview that we're pursuing one more "quality" player, who has to be be a starter, but if we don't land him/them Robbo is happy to go with who we've got.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I've a slightly different take on his quote.  I took from his interview that we're pursuing one more "quality" player, who has to be be a starter, but if we don't land him/them Robbo is happy to go with who we've got.

So are we to assume he won’t be located in the north east of England? Will he earn the right to play football?

55 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Seen someone mention Tom Leighton is playing a trial game with us today, also Jason Cummings released by Nottingham Forrest, surely way out our budget? have to think he will end up at a Hibs/Aberdeen.

Tom Leighton is an interesting one, I'm sure he is a defender who left us a few years ago for Watford and has been capped by NI under 21's. So if we have money for 1 more guy, is another defender what we need? 

Not against signing him if he can do us a turn. 

11 minutes ago, stuwell said:

Tom Leighton is an interesting one, I'm sure he is a defender who left us a few years ago for Watford and has been capped by NI under 21's. So if we have money for 1 more guy, is another defender what we need?

Yes he's one and the same.  I think he'd be signed for the development/reserve squad rather than the first team. 

• Like 2

He was on Trial with benfica as well at one point and got sent home early injured I believe. I suppose if Robinson views Maguire and Donnelly as playing further up the park it does leave it us a bit light at the back, i doubt his wage demands would break the bank he could be useful to have around. Saying that I doubt he is the one player Robinson refers to, I would imagine the marquee signing would be a striker.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

He was on Trial with benfica as well at one point and got sent home early injured I believe. I suppose if Robinson views Maguire and Donnelly as playing further up the park it does leave it us a bit light at the back, i doubt his wage demands would break the bank he could be useful to have around. Saying that I doubt he is the one player Robinson refers to, I would imagine the marquee signing would be a striker.

So was Josh Magennis actually seen at Fir Park earlier in the week or utter bullsh1t ? 

Could be the striker we have in mind.....

3 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Seen someone mention Tom Leighton is playing a trial game with us today, also Jason Cummings released by Nottingham Forrest, surely way out our budget? have to think he will end up at a Hibs/Aberdeen.

Well, he’s not. No game and the reserves are on their rest day.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Benfica? Think you’ll find that was part of the elite development set-up at Braidhurst with coaching links. Not the only one of our current crop who were there or will visit  in future.

He wasn’t the one who won the João Pinto award for the best recruit that’s currently on the books...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Benfica? Think you’ll find that was part of the elite development set-up at Braidhurst with coaching links. Not the only one of our current crop who were there or will visit  in future.

He wasn’t the one who won the João Pinto award for the best recruit that’s currently on the books...

22 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Well, he’s not. No game and the reserves are on their rest day.

You are 100% correct, not often we agree. There is interest to bring him in on trial but he has a few options. 

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14711158.tom-leighton-the-scottish-youngster-on-his-time-at-benfica-and-becoming-the-next-oliver-burke/

Not doubting you, just seen this article before. 

6 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

The guy Leighton played as a trialist in a game for Celtic this summer. Would certainly suggest he has options other than us. A case of wait and see but seems unlikely...

He’s been training with them all summer and play in 2 games that I know of against Arbroath and Stirling Albion. He hasn’t actually joined up with the squad either.

3 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Had read that before - it’s a little economical with the truth in ‘going back’ and how Benfica approached that ideal.

Listening to Craigan after the game he seems to be touting us getting another wide player? Chris Sutton rightly mocking him a bit saying how many do we need? Hylton Seedorf Ilic? Do we need any more? Is Ariyibi the forward player craigan and Robinson are talking about?

also Craigan coming out with the comment about selling James Scott is stupid. Of course we’re a selling club but don’t tout every young player coming through as a player we are ready to punt after only a handful of performances. Reeks of desperation.

• David locked this topic