2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

6 minutes ago, mio said:

Listening to Craigan after the game he seems to be touting us getting another wide player? Chris Sutton rightly mocking him a bit saying how many do we need? Hylton Seedorf Ilic? Do we need any more? Is Ariyibi the forward player craigan and Robinson are talking about?

also Craigan coming out with the comment about selling James Scott is stupid. Of course we’re a selling club but don’t tout every young player coming through as a player we are ready to punt after only a handful of performances. Reeks of desperation.

Robinson already said there is no chance of Aryibi coming back - because Aryibi didn't want to come back.

(Although I take any transfer talk from any player, club, manager or agent with a huge grain of salt as we all know how quickly things change).

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If you are starting two wide players every game you need more than three.

We don't have any in the academy ready to step up so it makes sense to sign another one. 

It seems that Robinson feels that Cole is a wide player. Also was Long not said to be able to play anywhere in the front three? I reckon Semple could also fill in at a push...

11 hours ago, mio said:

Listening to Craigan after the game he seems to be touting us getting another wide player? Chris Sutton rightly mocking him a bit saying how many do we need? Hylton Seedorf Ilic? Do we need any more? Is Ariyibi the forward player craigan and Robinson are talking about?

also Craigan coming out with the comment about selling James Scott is stupid. Of course we’re a selling club but don’t tout every young player coming through as a player we are ready to punt after only a handful of performances. Reeks of desperation.

Surely you're at it ? Ariybi has already been ruled out by robinson and the comments about james scott were nothing more than a tongue and cheek comment, in no way reeks of desperation. 

As folk say its early days, but hopefully the set up of the team and recent signings will convince some fans that its very unlikely that we're going to adopt a hoofball approach  this season and its worth buying or renewing season tickets. If its entertainment and value for money you're looking for then the initial signs are looking promising.  

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

I think after the recent performances we will see Cole, Long and Scott battle it out for the starting spot up front. The only other acquisitions I can see is a midfielder or centre back but that would only be for cover.

Personally I think that Scott needs 6 months at championship level 

Yip he did ok against QOS and Morton but if were honest there are still a lot of rough edges to his game that need to be ironed out

When the league season starts he is going to be playing against better quality centre half’s than what he has done up till now 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Yip he did ok against QOS and Morton but if were honest there are still a lot of rough edges to his game that need to be ironed out

When the league season starts he is going to be playing against better quality centre half’s than what he has done up till now 

Afraid I agree, he’s certainly got huge potential but he’s still not ready to play week in week out at premiership level. I think playing every week at championship level would improve him no end.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

The only other acquisitions I can see is a midfielder or centre back but that would only be for cover.

Robinson said the the other day we’ll only be signing players of a quality to start. We have a squad now that seems to have cover in most areas. 

Scott has improved because of a consistent starting spot at the end of last season and this. If he's not going to be the regular starter in the league, I think he'd be better off getting first team football as a loanee. Much better for development than playing in the half-baked Reserve league. Strikers, probably more than any other position, benefit from keeping sharp by playing competitive games.

6 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Yes if he was more clinical he'd have had 5 bagged as a minimum. And despite the result last night, let's not overlook how poor they were. In the 38 games of a regular season we will only get a team so poor or misfiring occasionally. Sharpness will come with exposure. I can't recall anyone coming out with chat like this when Erwin broke though.

I do think he will be behind Long/Cole unless he steps up and gives Robinson no option other than start him.

Just now, Goggles & Flippers said:

Had Erwin featured in half a dozen games and scored 3 when he was loaned, or still had to make the step up?

Erwin didn't make his debut until the Stjarnan game. He was 18 months older than Scott is now.

He should have made his debut the previous season but broke his leg playing an u20 game the day after the Albion Rovers disaster.

Outwith the top 5 teams sizewise, its now very common for the other 37 teams to have substantial rebuilding jobs on their hands over the summer.  Maybe Kilmarnock and St Johnstone are possible and current exceptions.  Most medium and small clubs, including ourselves, can't afford to dole out 3 or 4 year contracts on high wages.  Large turnovers in personnel are now the norm.  This season though we seem to be ahead of the pack in bringing in replacements early, giving the new lads time to settle in.  Teams like Morton, QoTS, Dumbarton and St Mirren seem to be struggling for numbers now and will no doubt be frantically sourcing players in the next 5 weeks or so.  Hopefully this will give us a slight advantage in the first few weeks of the new league campaign.      

22 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I can't recall anyone coming out with chat like this when Erwin broke though.

Aside from other points made, Erwin broke through playing alongside Sutton and McDonald. Couldn't ask for more experience on and off the pitch. 

He comes across as a confident young player but it's a huge ask, particularly when he doesn't have older heads around him. 

23 minutes ago, CoF said:

Aside from other points made, Erwin broke through playing alongside Sutton and McDonald. Couldn't ask for more experience on and off the pitch. 

That's very true. Skippy nagged, bullied and encouraged (mostly nagged) Erwin constantly through every minute he played. That can't be underestimated.

Getting back to the original point about sending him out for 6 months, I don't think we are there yet, he's already made a mark and can't recall anyone talking about sending Turnbull to the lower leagues in mid November, or how fortunate he was to have some veteran holding his hand. There's enough of our youth academy graduates who have been slowly introduced in the right way.

Lack of composure on a few occasions aside, he still bagged a brace (albeit against woeful opposition) and will be looking to stake a place ahead of a loanee and a guy on a one year deal and a guy who Robinson doesn't fancy as a sole striker. Based on all of that, I think it is madness to send him to the Championship and for him to see merit in it.

When Turnbull turned down Norwich many of us argued, well go down there and show they what you can do, have courage and confidence in your ability. I think the same should be the case now for Scott in the current Motherwell team.

• Like 3

• David locked this topic