2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

6 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Getting back to the original point about sending him out for 6 months, I don't think we are there yet, he's already made a mark and can't recall anyone talking about sending Turnbull to the lower leagues in mid November, or how fortunate he was to have some veteran holding his hand. There's enough of our youth academy graduates who have been slowly introduced in the right way.

Lack of composure on a few occasions aside, he still bagged a brace (albeit against woeful opposition) and will be looking to stake a place ahead of a loanee and a guy on a one year deal and a guy who Robinson doesn't fancy as a sole striker. Based on all of that, I think it is madness to send him to the Championship and for him to see merit in it.

When Turnbull turned down Norwich many of us argued, well go down there and show they what you can do, have courage and confidence in your ability. I think the same should be the case now for Scott in the current Motherwell team.

Turnbull really is a different kettle of fish, he came into the team and  showed he was ready straight from the off, that really is a rarity. Hastie is a better example with McGuire also looking like he’s  benefited. I can see the argument for that not happening with Scott but for me the odds still tip in favour of six months in the championship which I feel will benefit his development quicker than sitting on the bench with us and coming on for 20 minutes. 

57 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Turnbull really is a different kettle of fish, he came into the team and  showed he was ready straight from the off, that really is a rarity. Hastie is a better example with McGuire also looking like he’s  benefited. I can see the argument for that not happening with Scott but for me the odds still tip in favour of six months in the championship which I feel will benefit his development quicker than sitting on the bench with us and coming on for 20 minutes. 

I may regret this, but based on his performance on Friday night and how highly Robinson talks about him I would be v surprised if Scott went out on loan.  Right now we have still to see what Long and Cole can deliver and it might be that Scott is a better option or at least a good option to come off the bench in games where he does not start. 

48 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

BBC gossip page reporting that Cadden to Columbus Crew in the MLS is a done deal, with him being loaned out right away to Oxford. 

Fight started over compensation now, all seems a bit dodgy to me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49068512

Yes it does seem a bit dodgy Allan.  For me, the underlying problem is FIFA rules on compensation.  Would it be sensible to base club ranking on average attendances instead of the leagues in which they play? That would in effect be a proxy for category.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes it does seem a bit dodgy Allan.  For me, the underlying problem is FIFA rules on compensation.  Would it be sensible to base club ranking on average attendances instead of the leagues in which they play? That would in effect be a proxy for category.

The category concept is supposed to represent how much it costs to train a player for a club at that level, rather than some kind of transfer fee. So average attendances doesn't really play into that. 

Leagues get to set their own team's category, but there generally isn't an advantage to setting it artificially low as when a player moves to higher category club the compensation calculation is based on the average training costs of the two categories. So if you categorize your club too low, you'll reduce that average every time a player moves from your club to a better one.

Where it starts getting complicated is that MLS teams weren't part of the solidarity payment scheme, so the system and the categories are still a new concept. They only signed up recently when their young academy talent started moving to other countries for free. They still don't, however, pay any compensation for moves that take place within the MLS, so the penalty for ranking a team lower is less severe than other leagues.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure re attendance figures, that would mean some bang average layer at say Celtic would be worth more than Turnbull, to my mind the level of development compensation should have nothing to do with what league, or level within a league a player is developed at, whether it's Real Madrid or Motherwell the same hard work and effort from the coaching staff applies, so a base level should be set.

There could then be enhancements based on games played, international recognition etc

15 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Striker possibly joining this week or next... 

You'd wonder whether that signals Scott going out on loan or possibly Danny Johnson?  

Robinson did say that any further signing would have to be someone who will offer something different and go straight into the first team...

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You'd wonder whether that signals Scott going out on loan or possibly Danny Johnson?  

Robinson did say that any further signing would have to be someone who will offer something different and go straight into the first team...

Trying to punt Johnson, no takers so far. 

28 minutes ago, supermarv said:

ITK. Nah jokes aside mate who’s pals with someone on like the marketing team or something told him so I’m inclined to believe it, rarely ever wrong with his stuff. 

Plus Robinson said it on the radio

33 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

So did anyone else clock the player standing next to Dunne before tonight’s game? Looks like we have another player on trial or in the pipeline. Looked a lot like the guy who scored the overhead kick during preseason.

Yip was the same guy who was sitting with Polworth and Tanner at Dumfries so he’s been around club for over a week

No idea who he is or what position he plays

• David locked this topic