2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

5 minutes ago, sinjy said:

I worry that Robinson has gone too far away from the physicality that he always emphasised in our two cup finals season. We were OK against the teams we played in the League Cup but yesterday showed the lack of strength in the midfieId. I do not see anyone in our squad that can be as physical as Bowman, Rose, McHugh or Gorrin. I don't see Donnelly, Polworth, Campbell, Sloth or Semple bullying other midfielders. Robinson's mantra has always been you need to win the battle and earn the right to play. It remains to be seen if we have the players equipped t do this.

A good point.  We've yet to see what Sloth can do of course and the new players will need time to settle in.  My definition of a physical player is one who can win more 50/50 challenges than he loses; can shrug off heavy tackles whilst still retaining the ball, and is decent in the air.  Its not about being dirty or being a 6'3" hammer thrower.  I'm sure that all of the teams who finished in the top 6 last year would outmuscle Livingston.  That said, you do need a balance in midfield and not all need to be hard hatchet men.  David Turnbull, skilled though he is, can hold his own physically for example.  If you can outmuscle the Livingston's of the world then you can dictate the nature of the game; if you can't then they will call the shots.        

That Livingston team were nowhere near as physical as they were last year. Think back to the league defeat (2-0?) early last season.  Only Lithgow at the back and Dykes playing up front were up to that standard. Not so surprising really with Halkett, Gallagher and Menga moving on. Players such as Dunne and the same Gallagher dealt fine with the physical challenge in defence but I accept Scott did find it tough going up front against Lithgow. But players such as McMillan and Devine are certainly no more physical than the likes of Campbell and Tait.

And to say our lack of physicality was the reason for not winning is way off the mark. Particularly in midfield. I put that down to players repeatedly making  the crazy decision to try and run with the ball on a pitch that made that tactic virtually impossible. Illic, Campbell, Donnelly, Hylton and others  won the ball in midfield then found it stuck between their feet as they tried to move forward,  enabling lightweight players like Lawless and Souda to touch the ball away. Or fall down and claim a free kick. And although Barclay was strong on the ball, I would not rate him as overly physical, or Sibbald when he came on. Even though Seedorf did better the same problem happened once or twice. Same with Cole and Long. Running with the ball just did not work. After the first 10 minutes, most chances we created either came from long passes, set pieces. And getting in early crosses. Gallagher could/should have scored at least twice late on when we actually put the ball into the box.

in short (in my opinion) we got our tactics wrong. And refused to change them.  Much as it makes the eyes bleed, Livingston got their approach spot on given that surface. Lump the ball forward at every opportunity bypassing midfield wherever possible. Take no risks in defence. No passing the ball back and forward across the back line. Play the game in the opponents box. The exact opposite of the style we are set up to play. Even their throw ins followed that rule in the hope of winning the second ball. Passing back to their goalkeeper from half way so he to could plant the ball on our penalty spot. We have better football players than Livingston and our Manager clearly thought that superior ability would win the day. In the end, we have Gillespie to thank for escaping with a point.

I’m not advocating Hoofball, far from it. I detest it. Watching it at Fir Park was soul destroying. But on that Livingston pitch is their really any other option for a team with our quality of players? Let’s keep the silky skills for surfaces that allow our talented players to strut their stuff. Vary our approach taking into account all circumstances....or at least change something mid match that isn’t working. Meantime a point away to Livingston is not a disaster or a reason for dismantling the side. 

• Like 4

Remember that trialist that everyone said was Benteke (me included) I think could actually be Johnathan Obika, just signed for St Mirren. Ex spurs youth and been about but no real scoring record and hasn’t always been a striker which surprised me when I seen him, he was a left back or left winger.

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Remember that trialist that everyone said was Benteke (me included) I think could actually be Johnathan Obika, just signed for St Mirren. Ex spurs youth and been about but no real scoring record and hasn’t always been a striker which surprised me when I seen him, he was a left back or left winger.

I thought the trialist had already been disclosed as Mazinga?

We need to get two experienced mid field players in and hope that Sloth comes up to the mark Donnelly and Polworth can take their rightful  place on the bench .If there is any money left then a goal scorer would be welcome instead of sending Scott out on loan why not send Long out for 6 months to get to the pace of Scottish football 

1 minute ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Erm ... because he's on a one year deal Sparky, we've seen him play 180 minutes or so of competitive action for us and this is your solution. Stand aside Jose Mourinho we have a new master tactician in our midst.

Ah good one year will be enough 

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Long actually looks a no bad player, he has the attributes to be a good player, he’d probably suit playing someone like Scott or Cole, which I could see being used another option against certain opposition.

Were you at the Annan game? We made a hundred chances totally controlled the game in their half he had number 9 on his back and lost every ball played to him. Long is absolutely hopeless.

3 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

Were you at the Annan game? We made a hundred chances totally controlled the game in their half he had number 9 on his back and lost every ball played to him. Long is absolutely hopeless.

Have you guys learned nothing. Louis Moult couldn’t get a game when he first joined and went on to be a hero. Some players take time to adapt to the intensity of Scottish football. He may turn out to be a poor singing, but give him a chance to settle and support him in this endeavour.

50 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

I was at the Annan game and he got bullied and kicked all over the place but that was always going to happen against a team like them. He has got parts of his game and made a more positive impact compared to Scott on Saturday.

Jury is very much out on Long. Way too early to make a definitive call on how good he is or isn't.

I liked the look of him of him against  Linfield in Belfast where he not only scored but looked willing to go out wide and drop deep to seek possession.  Some important attributes in a lone striker.  I didn't see much physicality though which did leave a nagging doubt.

There's been a couple of times he's looked to be through and taken poor touches (Scott missed a couple of one-on-one's too in the League Cup remember) whether that's been through a lack of control, lack of sharpness physically or mentally, or even just shite surfaces that'll become evident the more he plays.  I don't know if he'll come good but writing someone off at this stage as hopeless when amongst the 4 appearances he's made two have been  as substitute and a start that lasted 8 seconds is buffoonery of the highest order.

• Like 1

I'll refer everyone to the comments that were posted about how useless Porter/Dunne/Gorrin (to name a few) were after a game or two before making judgement on any of the new signings. 

(And the comments about how great Bob Malcolm was going to be are equally hilarious and wide of the mark).

The one thing I would say about Long is that he looks like he has lots of pace. That can take you a long way in our league. He may well turn out to be pish, but its way too early to have decided that already.

9 hours ago, superward said:

Swindon looking at Carson apparently

Makes sense. He is too good to be sitting on the bench and two genuine first team standard ( or better) goalkeepers is probably a luxury we cannot really afford. Would we be looking to sell or initially a loan? Not sure where Swindon are currently in the leagues down south, but I would hope that Trevor might get a bigger move. His form for us certainly makes me think he deserves one. Been unlucky with injuries and stood by us and behaved like the excellent professional he is when we knocked back the possible Celtic move.

58 minutes ago, The African said:

Makes sense. He is too good to be sitting on the bench and two genuine first team standard ( or better) goalkeepers is probably a luxury we cannot really afford. Would we be looking to sell or initially a loan? Not sure where Swindon are currently in the leagues down south, but I would hope that Trevor might get a bigger move. His form for us certainly makes me think he deserves one. Been unlucky with injuries and stood by us and behaved like the excellent professional he is when we knocked back the possible Celtic move.

Swindon had a season in the Premier League when I worked in that region in the late 80s/early 90s, but went on the slide after that - or, returned to their regular form. That was shortly after their chairman was jailed for making illegal payments to players.  (They also had a brief revival when Malpas was the manager). They are pretty much a middling League Two side these days.

• Thanks 1

• David locked this topic