2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Recruitment for clubs at our level is getting more and more difficult. Money is everything in football. There are players who would rather sit in stand, than play for us on peanuts. The guys we sign are all punts, and need time to adjust. To many are quick to bin them or give them a chance.  Yet,  the guys that have apparently not been replaced, were punts as well.  Football management is not easy.  The guys shouting for sackings, are never going to be happy. Todate we have only been beaten by city clubs on much bigger resources. Yes, there are issues within our team, but we need to give them time and our support.  

• Like 4

I always try to be a glass half full Well fan. So here's my take on current squad. Most of the signings have taken a big step up in level. They offer potential. I see the next two/three months are going to be tough, and some of the squad will progress whilst others won't. I hope to see us go on a winning  run from November. Until then, Hylton, Seedorf, etc. will get my backing and encouraged to develop.

Has anyone heard anything on where Casper Sloth is in terms of fitness?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Recruitment for clubs at our level is getting more and more difficult. Money is everything in football. There are players who would rather sit in stand, than play for us on peanuts. The guys we sign are all punts, and need time to adjust. To many are quick to bin them or give them a chance.  Yet,  the guys that have apparently not been replaced, were punts as well.  Football management is not easy.  The guys shouting for sackings, are never going to be happy. Todate we have only been beaten by city clubs on much bigger resources. Yes, there are issues within our team, but we need to give them time and our support.  

This - plus, as I keep saying, when we bring in new players from lower leagues the Betfred Cup is terrible pre-season preparation. It might help with fitness to some degree, but knocking in a few goals against lower league opposition is nothing like adequate preparation for the high tempo, high pressing game we need to play against teams that have internationalists in them.

The only way to get used to that is by playing those teams. Some of the new guys will be able to make that transition, some will not. That is just as true for the youngsters we try to develop as it is for the guys we sign from elsewhere.

It's no coincidence that a number of our new guys don't hit form until November or December. Arsene Wenger used to say it took 6 months for a player to adapt to a new league, even if he was playing at a similar level in a different country. I doubt we are singing players better than Wenger signed.

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A bit curious that Adam Livingstone wasn't given some game time in the group stage games. I had hoped to see him get a wee run. 

Livingstone is a weird one,he was always one of the stand outs for the under 20s anytime i seen them but for whatever reason he can't get a look in at a position where we haven't exactly been strong in since the days of stevie hammell.hopefully carroll can come in and make an impact as the thought of going with tate and grimshaw right now is pretty depressing.

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

There is no place on this forum for sensible reasoned posts like this :nod:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

This - plus, as I keep saying, when we bring in new players from lower leagues the Betfred Cup is 

It's no coincidence that a number of our new guys don't hit form until November or December. Arsene Wenger used to say it took 6 months for a player to adapt to a new league, even if he was playing at a similar level in a different country. I doubt we are singing players better than Wenger signed.

Is that how we are getting them to FP by singing to them ?Sorry Sir couldn't resist .

4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I think the worry this time is that Robinson is been very critical of many of the new signings, he’s never done that before.

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I think the worry this time is that Robinson is been very critical of many of the new signings, he’s never done that before.

Some guys need an arm round the shoulder, others a swift kick. As he works with them every day I hope he knows which is which.

(Although I may be biased, as I always fell into the "responds better to yelling" camp when I played at my very mediocre level).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

Given Robinson's recent comments about some of the players makes me wonder whether he was responsible for bringing them to the club or they were "chosen" for him. <_<  

He made it very plain in the post match  interview he took responsibility for the signings, I though that in itself was quite telling. His comments ere obviously not aimed at those already at the club from last season. 

5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

He made it very plain in the post match  interview he took responsibility for the signings, I though that in itself was quite telling. His comments ere obviously not aimed at those already at the club from last season. 

Robinson has indicated several times in the past that he values highly the less glamorous side of the game (tracking back, pressing, tackling). He was ridiculed last term for his phrase 'earning the right to play football'  but the point he makes is a valid one. Ainsworth and Bigiramara are the two players I can think of who suffered from similar public outings in the he past from Robinson. Players not taking responsibility is clearly something that riles him. Whether he should be outing these players publicly is something I have very mixed views on. 

Well, that will do wonders for team spirit!  Something that has served us well in recent years. Sure, some of the new signings are not playing well and appear short of fitness. So do several of the established players. But, hey, let’s only  blame the new boys and single them out in public. If Steve Robinson has an issue with players, old or new, he should be addressing it behind closed doors. Voicing criticism publically (no matter how valid) seldom ends well. Wonder how he would react if players or his Board criticised his questionable tactics or team selection in such a manner? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dennyc said:

Well, that will do wonders for team spirit!  Something that has served us well in recent years. Sure, some of the new signings are not playing well and appear short of fitness. So do several of the established players. But, hey, let’s only  blame the new boys and single them out in public. If Steve Robinson has an issue with players, old or new, he should be addressing it behind closed doors. Voicing criticism publically (no matter how valid) seldom ends well. Wonder how he would react if players or his Board criticised his questionable tactics or team selection in such a manner? 

What did he say behind closed doors before spinning his story for the fans?

• Like 1

We will know soon enough whether his public criticism backfires or not.

You can also debate the merits of doing so which we have been.

But what I like about Robinson is he feels the same way as the fans do or did after Friday night.  If you have so called luxury players not being prepared to do the basics which in turn leads to us losing goals and games they need to know this will not be tolerated. If it is down to fitness then they need to get fitter. If it is down to laziness then they had better learn now he will not tolerate this. 

Truth is if the players brought in fail to make the grade with us then the likelihood of them going on to have a decent career in football is very much in the balance. Not saying they cannot have an acceptable career, but they all probably want to be playing at a bigger club and earning more money. There are not many I can think of that have failed at Motherwell that have achieved greater success in the game. 

• David locked this topic