2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

5 hours ago, DEWELL said:

Celtic fan told me Jack Hendry is by far the Worst centre half he's ever seen. Yes thought Robinson would be interested in him.

If a Celtic fan told me it what day it was , i would have to check a calander. Behave yer sell.

• Like 1

IF we are in for Jack Hendry (Scott Burns is usually pretty accurate where we are concerned), then that suggests that a central defender is about to leave.  Peter Hartley?  He seems to be pretty far out of the picture.  A lot will depend on what the deal would be in terms of paying part of his wages. 

I get the feeling generally that we'll see a fair bit of movement ie 2 or 3 signings and a departure or two before the window ends.   

Where could Hartley go realistically? Would another Scottish club be interested?  English market is closed, which I would have thought would have been the obvious destination.

Other departures? Scott on loan? Livingstone? Carson? Can't see there being much demand for other players in the squad and half the squad has just arrived..

9 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Where could Hartley go realistically? Would another Scottish club be interested?  English market is closed, which I would have thought would have been the obvious destination.

Other departures? Scott on loan? Livingstone? Carson? Can't see there being much demand for other players in the squad and half the squad has just arrived..

The window for English league 1 and 2 clubs closes early next month and thats the market I'd envisage for Hartley.   

4 hours ago, superward said:

I thought Hendry looked quite good at Dundee. Didnt think he was good enough to make it at Celtic, also was ridiculous he got called up to the Scotland squad. But, I think he would be fine at our level. (Puts tin hat on)

I thought he made a few mistakes at Dundee and I was surprised when Celtic signed him but they must have seen something in him and he did get game time when he first arrived there.

And just look at the quality gap between someone like Declan Gallagher brought in from Livingston and our existing central defenders.

I doubt he's worse than you know who and probably a step up.

20 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I thought he made a few mistakes at Dundee and I was surprised when Celtic signed him but they must have seen something in him and he did get game time when he first arrived there.

And just look at the quality gap between someone like Declan Gallagher brought in from Livingston and our existing central defenders.

I doubt he's worse than you know who and probably a step up.

No doubt Gallagher has looked good so far, however as did Hartley when he first came.....

Whilst I was as infuriated as most of the East Stand on Friday night with Dunnes passing, he actually defended pretty well and made a goal saving tackle in the first half. Bigger question for me is why we don’t have a midfield capable of coming and taking the ball off him to make the play.  Unless Celtic are paying the vast majority of his wages then I think we’d be far better investing further up the pitch where I think we have far bigger issues to address......

9 hours ago, joe90 said:

Hartley can’t go from being so good to so shite 

It's a weird one for sure. I know he had a foot injury that kept him out for a bit in early 2018 and pretty much meant he was out for the remainder of the 2017/18 season I think, but then at the start of the 2018/19 season he was announced as captain.

He featured pretty regularly until the 2-1 away win at Accies in the New Year game last last year, which was his last league game if I recall correctly? He featured in the cup against Ross County in January but after that he disappeared. Did he get injured again? 

Aside from a few early Betfred cup appearances against Dumbarton and Annan he seems to be out the picture again.

2 hours ago, David said:

It's a weird one for sure. I know he had a foot injury that kept him out for a bit in early 2018 and pretty much meant he was out for the remainder of the 2017/18 season I think, but then at the start of the 2018/19 season he was announced as captain.

He featured pretty regularly until the 2-1 away win at Accies in the New Year game last last year, which was his last league game if I recall correctly? He featured in the cup against Ross County in January but after that he disappeared. Did he get injured again? 

Aside from a few early Betfred cup appearances against Dumbarton and Annan he seems to be out the picture again.

Pretty obvious Motherwell are trying to find a way to get him off the wage bill and move him on. There's no way a previous club captain gets treated this way without there being an underlying motive for it. I suspect with the Hendry chat, it's reasonable to assume that we are trying to dump his contract and tout him to clubs in the lower English leagues (or elsewhere).

1 hour ago, Rammer said:

There's no way a previous club captain gets treated this way without there being an underlying motive for it.

For a start, he's never recaptured the form he had prior to his long-term lay off. That's as good a motive as any as, unfortunately, it makes him an expensive luxury.

The thing is, he got dropped at a time when the entire team was pretty shit if I recall correctly, and he's never really been given an opportunity to come back in. He can't really be expected to regain any form if he's sitting on the bench the majority of the time.

In all honesty, I'd have him back in the starting eleven this weekend. I think we're missing a natural leader at the back. 

1 minute ago, Haggischomper said:

Granted, I'm only going via YouTube clips, but does the boy Gallacher not provide that?

I haven't really noticed that myself, which maybe says something.

The thing for me, and this goes for Carson as well, is if the team isn't doing that great and we're at a stage where we've conceded seven goals in our last two games, and there's been a few notable errors at the back, surely the players who've been on the bench waiting on their chance are due a shot, no?

We hear the manager (and all managers really) talk about those who aren't involved having to "wait for their chance" to stake a claim fora starting spot. 

When does that become the case? How many errors does a goalkeeper need to make before our equally talented other goalkeeper gets a shot? Or how many goals must our defence concede before our supposed club captain gets another shot at making a starting slot his? Or is it only injury that provides that chance?

I also have this feeling of dread that we're going to persevere with the likes of Seedorf until we're behind the curve, then it's going to be panic stations and everyone losing their shit around Christmas.

We just have to hope that Turnbull can come back and hit the ground running, or that we've got another Jake Hastie somewhere that can come in and turn things around.

47 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, he got dropped at a time when the entire team was pretty shit if I recall correctly, and he's never really been given an opportunity to come back in. He can't really be expected to regain any form if he's sitting on the bench the majority of the time.

In all honesty, I'd have him back in the starting eleven this weekend. I think we're missing a natural leader at the back. 

I would have thought that Gallagher is exactly that

32 minutes ago, David said:

I haven't really noticed that myself, which maybe says something.

The thing for me, and this goes for Carson as well, is if the team isn't doing that great and we're at a stage where we've conceded seven goals in our last two games, and there's been a few notable errors at the back, surely the players who've been on the bench waiting on their chance are due a shot, no?

We hear the manager (and all managers really) talk about those who aren't involved having to "wait for their chance" to stake a claim fora starting spot. 

When does that become the case? How many errors does a goalkeeper need to make before our equally talented other goalkeeper gets a shot? Or how many goals must our defence concede before our supposed club captain gets another shot at making a starting slot his? Or is it only injury that provides that chance?

I also have this feeling of dread that we're going to persevere with the likes of Seedorf until we're behind the curve, then it's going to be panic stations and everyone losing their shit around Christmas.

We just have to hope that Turnbull can come back and hit the ground running, or that we've got another Jake Hastie somewhere that can come in and turn things around.

I think that Carson is deserving of his chance.

15 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

I would have thought that Gallagher is exactly that

He may very well be, it's still early doors I guess. I don't see that as a reason for Hartley not to be given a chance. If he's completely out of the running (which I think is a bit off as we're hardly brimming with talent in that position) we'd be better off letting him head down south for games elsewhere.

I'm not sure that supposedly trying to bring in a defender on loan from Celtic suggests we're in a position to dump Pete though.

1 minute ago, David said:

He may very well be, it's still early doors I guess. I don't see that as a reason for Hartley not to be given a chance. If he's completely out of the running (which I think is a bit off as we're hardly brimming with talent in that position) we'd be better off letting him head down south for games elsewhere.

I'm not sure that bringing in a defender on loan from Celtic suggests we're in a position to dump Pete though.

OK - how about he was shite in the games he's played this season - slow, ponderous in possession and lacking in basic footballing skills. Being able to shout, encourage and gesticulate doesn't warrant a place in any team.

1 minute ago, steelman1991 said:

OK - how about he was shite in the games he's played this season - slow, ponderous in possession and lacking in basic footballing skills. Being able to shout, encourage and gesticulate doesn't warrant a place in any team.

Well, he's not played a lot of football recently, so it's to be expected I guess. After all, there was a time not that long ago where we were all over the moon at him signing, with his little piano video and all that shite, remember? He was made captain as well.

So, as I said, if he's suddenly that pish that he doesn't even warrant a look-in and we're chasing a Celtic player on loan for that position then we should let him leave before the English lower league window closes. 

13 minutes ago, David said:

Well, he's not played a lot of football recently, so it's to be expected I guess. After all, there was a time not that long ago where we were all over the moon at him signing, with his little piano video and all that shite, remember? He was made captain as well.

So, as I said, if he's suddenly that pish that he doesn't even warrant a look-in and we're chasing a Celtic player on loan for that position then we should let him leave before the English lower league window closes. 

Agreed that prior to his injury, he was better than we had at that time, but time seems to have caught up with him. Perhaps we are  trying to move him on - or perhaps he's happy with the wage he's picking up for doing very little.

However while he is here, I'm quite content to let the coaching team decide how good or pish he is. 

• David locked this topic