2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

On 8/25/2019 at 1:53 PM, dinnae-punt-it said:

Robbo himself said he is looking for a center half and a striker:

Robinson is also continuing his search to improve his squad, and while he wouldn’t be drawn on a move for Celtic defender Jack Hendry, he did admit that he is still hoping to strengthen several areas of his side.

“I won’t discuss anyone else’s players,” he said. “I’m looking at every area still.

“Peter Hartley was unavailable for the game last Friday due to family reasons, and that made me realise we are a little bit short.

“We had a deal fall through for a centre-forward that we thought we might have got in, so everything is ongoing at the minute.”

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17858270.stephen-robinson-hopes-motherwell-clean-bill-health-derby/

This is a slightly bizarre comment from the manager.

It took Hartley to be unavailable for him to realise?

I said back in May we needed two centre halves in.

Day off work so drove down to see the reserves at Cappielow win 4-1 this afternoon. 

Main points: 

Ilic - in the right place at the right time for two goals - good stuff, however on the ball didn't really stand out in any way. 

Tanner - two assists (one from a corner) however a fairly quiet afternoon and again, didn't really stand out as a senior player. Hopefully it's just a matter of time and confidence. 

Barry McGuire and Adam Livingstone both had that bit of quality and physicality about them. The two big centre halves won everything as well. 

• Like 3

We don’t tend to be linked with players before we sign them. 

Possibly just concerning that we lost out on a striker we thought we had.

Killie,  St Johnstone and ourselves will likely be negotiating with the same strikers that are known to be available. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Our only signing near the deadline over the previous two seasons was Stephen Hendrie (unbelievably without a club at the moment).

Let's hope the club do a bit better this time. 

Seem to remember Grimmy and Hartley being signed deep into August 2017. 

Aldred too came in late in August last year.

Further back I think Bowman was signed just before the window ' slammed shut'. He was of course a Mc Ghee signing.

Sure there are more but can't be ersed checking back.

1 hour ago, livivoice said:

Seem to remember Grimmy and Hartley being signed deep into August 2017. 

Aldred too came in late in August last year.

Further back I think Bowman was signed just before the window ' slammed shut'. He was of course a Mc Ghee signing.

Sure there are more but can't be ersed checking back.

You are right regarding Grimmy and Hartley, both deadline day signings. The ultimate deadline day window with Baraclough what a day that was. 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Stevie May returns to St Johnstone, so that  narrows the available striker pool by one. 

I can't say I'm overly concerned at missing out on him.  Despite all the drama he was always going to end up back in Perth.  In recent years he hasn't ever looked like recapturing his early form and has looked like a supercharged headless chicken.  Going by past activity we're more likely to sign an unknown player from England.  Time will tell.

55 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I can't say I'm overly concerned at missing out on him.  Despite all the drama he was always going to end up back in Perth.  In recent years he hasn't ever looked like recapturing his early form and has looked like a supercharged headless chicken.  Going by past activity we're more likely to sign an unknown player from England.  Time will tell.

Were we ever even in for him ? I have not seen anything to suggest we were and quite frankly I am relieved. 

Some players suit a club and so he may turn it on at St Johnstone but he was rank at Aberdeen. 

Saw a report saying that Hastie turned down a move back to us to go down south. 

Firstly that is probably horse manure. But he would not be welcome back by the majority of fans imho. So even if it were true you could understand why he would not want to come back. 

Like most on here it would be good to know what is happening re compensation. Have we got it ? If not I assume it is going to a tribunal ? Normally the retort would be none of our interest but as a fan owned club I believe it is. I think it mainly stems from the fact it is Sevco that is involved as the other party.....

13 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Jake Hastie on loan anyone....?

I’m told Hastie had the choice of Rotherham, Zurich or us. He chose England. Don’t really blame him. He would have had a huge target on his back at Motherwell. I wish him well.

• David locked this topic