2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

Interesting that we've signed another player we'd tried to sign in previous windows.

I'd still like to know who's picking our players because there have been a number of times when we've pursued the same players after a change of manager.

I'm fine with the signing but I'm not sure where he fits into the team if we are playing 4-3-3.

37 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Saw him a few times at Dundee. He's a Unit, 6'1 - 6'2 Im sure. Good on the ball but apparently goes hiding in tough games (from 3 Dees supporting friends who watched him a lot!). Attacking option in midfield so useful for us

every game for dundee is tough so i wouldnt worry too much about that. i think its good signing as any time i saw him at dundee either v us or on tv v the glasgow 2 he stood out. im hoping barry maguire can come gd but if any of our 3 midfielders get injured i think he can come in for any of them.

With Sloth an unknown and no youngsters currently knocking on the door, I felt we lacked a little depth in midfield. Bringing in a player of O’Hara’s calibre and versatility is therefore a very welcome addition. 

I’m also content we haven’t brought in a striker. Unless a quality player like Lafferty could be enticed, we are best to go with what we have. Long is settling in well, Scott has immense potential and Cole started to look the part on Sat. Given that we should comfortably avoid relegation, there is no need to invest in reinforcements. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

Disappointed if that's us done. Robinson stated last week, how much he realised we were short in defence. Also, feel that we need an out and out striker.

I too can’t quite accept that we’re done as he made it clear he wanted a striker and a centre half. Perhaps we might have our eye on someone who had negotiated a release from their contract. 

O'Hara is a real unit and offers physicality in central midfield. He's an experienced player who plays defensively. He can also play in the back four. He'll plug a gap where we're short. All that said, I'm disappointed we're not bringing in a number 9 striker, at least today, as we are short there.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

O'Hara is a real unit and offers physicality in central midfield. He's an experienced player who plays defensively. He can also play in the back four. He'll plug a gap where we're short. All that said, I'm disappointed we're not bringing in a number 9 striker, at least today, as we are short there.

Not that I know much about O'Hara but club describing him as attacking midfielder.

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We've got plenty of depth in midfield now. We have the Donnelly-Campbell-Polworth midfield plus Sloth-O'Hara-Turnbull.

A quality centre forward would have been welcome but to be honest I want James Scott playing every week and I think Cole will keep improving.

I certainly think Cole can improve but I think that’s going to take a good few months, the same with Seedorf. We have a real chance to finish top four this season in my view ( there really are no quality teams outside the top two and that’s going to end up with Celtic top again) but to do that we needed a central striker that could hit the ground running.

I don't see how we are short defensively, Tait and Dunne were both unused subs on Saturday and Donnelly can provide cover there if really needed.

A tiny bit disappointed we didn't sign a striker but as mentioned above we've got lots of options as it is and guys getting fitter etc. I think we can be happy with the business we did, and look to challenge for top six! 

1 hour ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

With Sloth an unknown and no youngsters currently knocking on the door, I felt we lacked a little depth in midfield. Bringing in a player of O’Hara’s calibre and versatility is therefore a very welcome addition. 

I’m also content we haven’t brought in a striker. Unless a quality player like Lafferty could be enticed, we are best to go with what we have. Long is settling in well, Scott has immense potential and Cole started to look the part on Sat. Given that we should comfortably avoid relegation, there is no need to invest in reinforcements. 

Quality player like Lafferty who managed to get himself sent off in his first game with his new club. Thanks but no thanks.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Keep hearing that we need a goal scoring No9

If he’s any good he’ll cost money and probably wouldn’t come to us for the wages that we would be offering 

Can any of the wise pundits on here name one that we could afford on our budget 

Nope, but we still need one which I think Robinson is well aware of given he keeps trying to sign one.

I thought Cole looked a handful when he came on at the weekend. Long got in some great positions and could see him scoring a few when he builds a bit more confidence.

James Scott been impressive too.

The resurgence of Hartley has negated the need to add a centre half.

Trying to work out Tanner's decision not to sign on for a few months and instead, go hunting for a club at this stage. He's not been in the shop window for 18 months and is effectively, untested after injury. 

He's maybe feeling it in himself that he won't get competitive football (beyond the reserves) any time soon for us, and his best chances would to be become a free agent after the transfer window. Maybe looking for first team football lower down the leagues to build himself back up. 

Maybe we’ll see Polworth being deployed at right wing now O’Hara is in the squad. 

One positive from us not yet signing a starter striker is that James Scott will probably get loads of game time this season. He looks like he could develop into a player worth some money. 

1 hour ago, gee said:

Maybe we’ll see Polworth being deployed at right wing now O’Hara is in the squad.

I would hope not.  By no stretch of the imagination is he a winger and can't take on and beat a full back.  He is however a talented and creative central midfielder who is settling in well. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I would hope not.  By no stretch of the imagination is he a winger and can't take on and beat a full back.  He is however a talented and creative central midfielder who is settling in well. 

Don’t disagree but he finished the game on Saturday there and often played there for ICT.  Just a possibility given the imbalance of where there is quality in the squad. 

• David locked this topic