2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

40 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I like the look of O’Hara and no doubt he’ll be a decent player. However very surprised we never signed a striker after being so public about it and had 3 deals fall through for strikers.

If we had 3 deals fall through then I assume any signing after that would have been well down the pecking order. Maybe we were better not signing anyone than someone for the sake of it. 

That's not to say that we won't be wishing we had signed anyone at all in a month's time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gee said:

Don’t disagree but he finished the game on Saturday there and often played there for ICT.  Just a possibility given the imbalance of where there is quality in the squad. 

I'm not saying he won't be deployed there Gee, as Robbo may decide to use him there on occasion. Agree about the imbalance.  

Some posters have commented that another central defender was/is unnecessary.  I'm only going by Robbo's comments after the Hearts game.  To summarise he said that as Hartley was unavailable, we were short there, and by implication, thats where our interest in Hendry arose.  It might well be that O'Hara now provides that back up.  He's essentially a central midfielder, but can and, has played a number of games at right back or in central defence.

On a wider note and looking back over business done in the window, I'd say that Killie will be stronger than they have been so far this season and St Johnstone will be somewhat stronger; as expected.  Neither Hearts nor Hibs are setting the heather on fire. All clubs will find that some signing work and some don't. So, all in all, I can foresee a battle for a couple of places in the top 6, with us in the mix.  There will be no aunt sally this season so the fight at the botton will be interesting.        

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

I like the look of O’Hara and no doubt he’ll be a decent player. However very surprised we never signed a striker after being so public about it and had 3 deals fall through for strikers.

Maybe it was because we had 3 deals fall through

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If our new players can adapt to SPFL sooner rather than later it could be a good season for us. Its much harder to play against teams with multiple attacking threats. That's what made us so good under McCall for a while. Easy for teams to snuff out 1 main threat not so easy with 2 and then almost impossible to deal with 3. You have Donnelly scoring from midfield, pace on both wings, if we can get Long and Scott to start scoring regular it could be our best season in a while.

It will be interesting to see the squad for the Hearts game as I’d imagine that it’ll be the one targeted as the strongest possible squad, with all fit, except Turnbull. 

Given that Mazinga and Sloth have both had reserve games and two further weeks of training prior, I’d imagine that whilst we won’t see wholesale changes from Saturday, we will likely see some changes to match hearts physicality.

With O’Hara’s introduction, I’d imagine that Sloth’s omission from the Hearts squad would be a signal that his overall game time with us will be insignificant at best. 

We could’ve even done a quick loan for next to nothing money, a young player 19-22 to compete up front for a season or 6 months. Not the best method but seems to work for others in the league especially Killie. We of course have Cole but I could see him being a potential signing at the end of his loan if we can afford him. 

13 hours ago, supermarv said:

We could’ve even done a quick loan for next to nothing money, a young player 19-22 to compete up front for a season or 6 months. Not the best method but seems to work for others in the league especially Killie. We of course have Cole but I could see him being a potential signing at the end of his loan if we can afford him. 

out of interest, who at Killie are you referring to? the only boy i can think of is the boy from liverpool they resigned on loan? is there others?

20 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

out of interest, who at Killie are you referring to? the only boy i can think of is the boy from liverpool they resigned on loan? is there others?

They signed a youngish left back from QPR decent player. They had a goalie on loan last season as well. They’ve used the loan market pretty useful. I’m not saying bombard out team with loans but a loan from a big team for a season can work sometimes.

16 hours ago, Kmac said:

With O’Hara’s introduction, I’d imagine that Sloth’s omission from the Hearts squad would be a signal that his overall game time with us will be insignificant at best. 

I wouldn't say so. We saw last year how vital Gorrin was to turning us around, and he barely kicked a ball til January, and ultimately it was a disappointment to lose him.

O'Hara surely more of Campbell back-up? If we were to lose him for a few weeks, I'm not sure we have anyone else that could match the energy he brings to the midfield. Looking at it, O'Hara and Campbell either side of Donnelly would probably allow the big man to score twice a game...

17 hours ago, Kmac said:

I don't really see the conection.  Sloth has been injured and is only now recovering.  He wasn't fit for the Hearts game.  Not 100% certain but I think that Sloth and O'Hara are vry different types of player.  From what I've seen and read, Sloth is more of a footballer, whilst O'Hara is a physical box to box type in the "Gavin Rae" mould.  We've missed a physical central midfield box to box player for a number of years now and thats probably why we've been tracking O'Hara for a season or two.  

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/motherwell-fear-they-ll-need-to-wait-three-years-for-chris-cadden-fee-1-4999700

Motherwell fear they’ll need to wait three years for Chris Cadden fee

Motherwell chief executive Alan Burrows has revealed that the Lanarkshire club might have to wait until 2022 for the £200,000 they are due following Chris Cadden’s summer switch to the USA.

The 22-year-old had been at Fir Park for a decade, making 129 first-team appearances and featuring in the Scottish Cup and League Cup finals two seasons ago. He also faced Mexico and Peru for Alex McLeish’s Scotland side last year.

He joined MLS outfit Columbus Crew as a free agent in June but was immediately sent on a season-long loan to League One outfit Oxford United. Oxford had wanted to sign Cadden last season but were unwilling to fork out the £320,000 for his cross-border development fee.

There had previously been no official agreement with the MLS compelling them to pay a development fee for young players from abroad. However, they agreed in April to honour Fifa’s training and solidarity system, which guarantees compensation for clubs which have nurtured their own talent.

Motherwell’s negotiations with the US authorities have come to nothing and they are now ready to take Cadden’s case to world ruling body 
Fifa. Even so, Burrows, pictured inset, doesn’t anticipate a swift resolution.

“We’re still in discussions with MLS, who handle these negotiations,” he said. “In America, the MLS – rather than the clubs – own the players’ contracts. There have been a few offers from them so far but there hasn’t been one we could accept.

“The SFA have offered us support with a watching brief but Fifa insist that both parties give each other a fair chance to resolve any disputes prior to them becoming involved in arbitration.

“I would say we’re coming to the end of that stage now. The talks with MLS have been amicable but we’re looking for a significant sum for a player we took on as a young boy and turned into a full international player.”

However, while Cadden has been playing for Oxfords on a weekly basis, Burrows expects to wait for years before they are recompensed for his loss.

“Fifa are trying to speed up the process for dealing with this kind of thing but their wheels tend to move slowly and I know of a similar appeal involving two British clubs which has been in their system for three years now,” he said.

“Put it this way… it wouldn’t surprise me if the compensation fee for Chris won’t be included in our accounts for 2019-20 – and they won’t be published until December of next year.

“It does seem ridiculous that Chris left us when his contract expired on May 31 but we won’t be compensated for that loss for a year or two. It also – quite by accident – exposes a loophole which European clubs could use to avoid paying development fees for young players.”

5 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

BBC Gossip...

Motherwell have offered in-form midfielder Liam Donnelly a new contract, with the 23-year-old entering the final 12 months of his current deal. (Daily Mail, print edition)

BBC on the ball as usual. Donnelly mentioned this in his interview after the Accies game.

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Potential cover for Gallagher incase of a suspension or injury. The lad seems a very good player by all accounts but seems pretty unnecessary especially with Maguire, Devine or even Donnelly all capable replacements. 

Only unnecessary if he doesn't have a season like Kipre or Henneghan and gets us 400k next summer.

2 hours ago, Mintymac said:

So is that who the injury concern is ?

i watched training for a bit last thursday and bevis was training.hes a big lad. hartley was sitting out so i thought he must be injured. dunne sat out last 15 min game so maybe him also. whoever thinks polworth should sit out needs their head looked at. hes the most creative midfielder we have easily and even at training he looked miles in front although campbell and donnelly were away for internationals.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s anyone in the current lineup that I’d want to be left out, particularly due to our last performance. It will be interesting to see how the competition in midfield plays out as the season goes on.

I am surprised by the lukewarm reaction Polworth has got so far, as I think he’s been excellent. Maybe it’s more a case of him being under the radar due to the wingers taking some of the headlines, and maybe that’s a good thing.

That would be a shame if Hartley turns out to be injured, after finally forcing his way back in and performing well, but I was thinking more along the lines of Dunne being the player that Robinson alluded to since he was dropped for the last game when he’s hardly been terrible.

oh and it’s a weird feeling knowing that we have just peaked in the player name stakes. We are never going to beat Bevis Mugabi.

I really like polworth,I think hes been good for us so far,granted he isn't the type of player that's going to put a defensive shift in but if we can get him in the right areas,then he could have a hat full of assists for us this season.I think we done well getting him on a free transfer.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Given we have signed a centre half when we didn't reeeeeaaaaally need one, and we are going about signing extensions to certain players this early in the season, it suggests to me that things are going okay for us financially. 

Read an article from Motherwell Times suggesting 11 players in and 27 out this summer transfer window.  Obviously the 27 will I include youths let go and I assume misses out on those promoted to 1st team but even if that is close to being true our wage bill must be down a fair bit on last season ?  Yet for all that starting to look like we have amassed a stronger squad !

Just now, mfc said:

I really like polworth,I think hes been good for us so far,granted he isn't the type of player that's going to put a defensive shift in but if we can get him in the right areas,then he could have a hat full of assists for us this season.I think we done well getting him on a free transfer.

Inverness fans said he would split opinion. Most believed he was their best player and the one they would miss the most. 

The problem is that a lot of fans like or notice a more combative midfielder like Campbell. Blood and guts and body on the line over more creative player. He led the assists in the Championship for last 2 seasons if I recall. 

Right now the team that beat Hibs assuming all are fit should start v Hearts. O’Hara and Mugabe etc are for cover although in time they may well stake a claim for a starting position also dependant on opponents etc. 

• David locked this topic