2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

12 hours ago, supermarv said:

Potential cover for Gallagher incase of a suspension or injury. The lad seems a very good player by all accounts but seems pretty unnecessary especially with Maguire, Devine or even Donnelly all capable replacements. 

Mugabi is 6 foot 3 inches and built like a brick shithouse by all accounts, over 100 league appearances, and 5 goals, oh and international experience as well, playing against the likes of Mane and Salah, so sounds like a decent centre half to me.

Now who would you rather have as cover or in the team, Mugabi or 2 players like Devine or Maguire with very few 1st team starts, and look a bit lightweight to me, I know who I would pick.

Ok he has just signed for a few months but if he does well it could turn into a longer deal and potentially a good bit of business for the club, I don't think he will be costing too much so it's a good punt for the club.

• Like 1

Seems like Charles Dunne will be out for a month with a groin injury.  It now seems clear thats why Mugabi has been brought in.  That also reminds us of Robbo's earlier comments about us being short in central defence. Not sure what that says about Barry Maguire; maybe consistent with his revised listing on the Official site as a midfielder. Mugabi certainly seems to have all the necessary attributes for a central defender.  

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, Orinoco said:

Recruitment for clubs at our level is getting more and more difficult. Money is everything in football. There are players who would rather sit in stand, than play for us on peanuts. The guys we sign are all punts, and need time to adjust. To many are quick to bin them or give them a chance.  Yet,  the guys that have apparently not been replaced, were punts as well.  Football management is not easy.  The guys shouting for sackings, are never going to be happy. Todate we have only been beaten by city clubs on much bigger resources. Yes, there are issues within our team, but we need to give them time and our support.  

Wind forward to 14 Sept 2019 @ 5.00pm and read the above.  Lessons to be learned for some on here I think.  Not saying there won't be more tough times ahead/blips on the road but Orinoco's got it spot on. Back our players, give them confidence and I'm sure this current group will deliver more good times than bad, with some pretty attractive football thrown in too.  Biggest issue this year will be holding on to Robbo.

• Like 3

Isn’t he just a much better player now that we give him the ball instead of making him chase hopeless long balls Howf’d up the park by Gillespie or Dunne. The boy has some skill. If he can start adding a few goals it will add on a few pounds to be few. Having said that i’d Like to see us get some benefit out of him and other players who catch the. Eye. I know we are a selling club but there needs to some balance as in trying to win cups or get a euro spot.  If we did manage to get a euro spot it would be nice to go into that with the team that earned it.  Anyway, my comments are in general as it’s way too early and presumptuous to think of us getting a euro spot this season. While that may be the target , it should be One game at a time and see where we end up. COYW

The comments I've heard from Craigan is that he's definitely a good footballer, but sometimes lacked the confidence to get as many goals as he should. Hopefully those goals will come - although it's not as easy when you're out on the wing.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

The comments I've heard from Craigan is that he's definitely a good footballer, but sometimes lacked the confidence to get as many goals as he should. Hopefully those goals will come - although it's not as easy when you're out on the wing.

Where he’s currently playing is his preferred choice of position in current set-up...

Possesses a lot of attributes that may well see our club achieve as big if not more than expected for David Turnbull.

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Was there just no competition for Gallagher and Polworth? Still can’t believe we got them. 

Yes, there was.  I think St Johnstone were also looking at Polworth, but they were certainly hoping to sign Gallagher.  I don't know the details but Tommy Wright threw his toys out of the pram when he rejected them and signed for us.  I don't think I've ever come across such a weird situation where neither the player's then current club (Livingston) or his new club (us) didn't announce the transfer but it instead was announced by a third party club (St Johnstone). 

Good article on our scouting process:

The Motherwell talent spotter hailed Fir Park's unsung hero after unearthing stars

Former Port Vale, York and Hereford boss Martin Foyle’s encyclopaedic knowledge of English football’s lower reaches is paying dividends for Well.

0_JS192858219.jpg(Image: Getty)

Former Port Vale, York and Hereford boss Martin Foyle’s encyclopaedic knowledge of English football’s lower reaches is paying dividends for Well.

Martyn Corrigan has revealed Motherwell’s head of recruitment Martin Foyle is leaving no stone unturned as they unearth hidden gems for the club.

But the former Fir Park defender and current scout insists his boss has become the club’s unsung hero as a precious star spotter.

Stephen Robinson’s side racked up a third win in a row with a weekend success at Hearts and a host of Foyle’s treasures were on show at Tynecastle.

Sherwin Seedorf and Jermaine Hylton were both on target as they continue to excel at Well after being drafted in this summer from relative obscurity.

0_19249100.jpg
(Image: SNS Group)

Corrigan insists ex-Port Vale, York and Hereford boss Foyle’s encyclopedic knowledge of English football’s lower reaches is paying dividends at a club with one of the Premiership’s lowest budgets.

He said: “There’s no secret to the success of Motherwell’s recruitment, it’s down to Martin Foyle.

“Then it’s about Stephen Robinson giving his approval but it’s a process that leaves no stone unturned.

“Martin covers the whole of Britain. I cover Scotland and he travels the length and breadth of the country looking at players in the lower leagues.

“He’s bringing in diamonds and we can see again this season he’s unearthed a few more.

“Martin’s a workaholic, he’s watching games every day, sometimes he’s at two or three in the one day to try and find players who can come into Scottish football and perform.

“He spends most of his life in his car and living out of a suitcase as he’s on the road constantly travelling to games.

“The big thing about Martin is the homework he does and the fine detail, that’s what I’ve learned from him. It’s not just about the player, it’s the person.”

CD13158225.jpg
09/11/04 CIS CUP QUARTER FINAL LIVINGSTON v MOTHERWELL (0-5) CITY STADIUM - LIVINGSTON Craig Easton tackles Motherwell's Martyn Corrigan (front). 9716 CIS Livingston 2004/2005 Football Landscape Double Action

Corrigan spent eight years at Well as a player and he’s relishing his off-field role in identifying targets fit to wear 
the jersey. 

He said: “I will watch a player three or four times then he’ll watch that player three or four times to make sure we’re bringing in the right characters.

“That type has to be someone who’s prepared to work hard and wants to wear that jersey. They have to be prepared to give their all for the club.

“Speed and athleticism are also high on our agenda when we target players. We don’t have the budget to take gambles – we need to be precise about what we want and are getting and Martin is a master at that.

“The fact he’s managed and played at a decent level obviously helps and his contacts down south are varied.”

0_JS188175094.jpg

The likes of Trevor Carson, Cedric Kipre, Charles Dunne and former players Louis Moult and Curtis Main have all been recruited for a relative pittance and Corrigan revealed all have had the hand of Foyle searching through their backgrounds.

He said: “Social media is a big thing now when you look at a player. I know Martin’s big on that when he’s doing his research on a potential signing.

“You can tell so much about a person by looking at their Twitter or Facebook accounts and that’s a useful tool.

“The last thing we want is a player to come in and upset the apple cart. What we do is target potential then Stephen and his coaches work to make them more of a finished article.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/motherwell-talent-spotter-hailed-fir-20077539

• David locked this topic