2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

2 hours ago, Well-Made said:

Scottish Sun reporting that Robinson could be on the shortlist for the Hears job if Levein gets sacked, he could also feature in Hibs shortlist if it's them looking after the weekend

Even if he wasn't on their shortlist/radar/tapped or whatever phrase they wish to use, not surprised a journo at either the Record or the Sun would suggest a manager with poorer resources is outperforming the manager at a club with bigger ones was a target.

It's as predictable as a crazy lower league goalkeeper story 3 days before the third round of the Scottish Cup in January

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

It's as predictable as a crazy lower league goalkeeper story 3 days before the third round of the Scottish Cup in January

Indeed. I've also noticed a spike in the "Arbroath player is a bin man" and "non-league FA cup player is a plumber" stories recently. It's like the 70s have made a comeback. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Well-Made said:

Scottish Sun reporting that Robinson could be on the shortlist for the Hears job if Levein gets sacked, he could also feature in Hibs shortlist if it's them looking after the weekend

He’s building a reputation as one of the better managers up here so it’s inevitable there is going to be interest. Stats given for points gained by each premiership club from last October until now show Motherwell in 4th place behind only Celtic, Rangers, and Aberdeen, that’s pretty impressive given the budgets of many clubs next to Motherwell. I don’t see him as one of the favourites for either Hearts or Hibs but would anyone be hugely surprised if he ended up at one of the Edinburgh clubs ? Hopefully he stays a good while longer because I worry who we may replace him with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Well-Made said:

Lifted from the following site I believe:  https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-spl-44-yr-old-on-hearts-radar-as-crisis-intensifies/

So not sure how much is in it.

2 hours ago, superward said:

Lifted from the following site I believe:  https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-spl-44-yr-old-on-hearts-radar-as-crisis-intensifies/

So not sure how much is in it.

Why would anyone take the Hearts job with Levein still lurking about as board member and director of football, questioning every decision.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised if Robbo ended up at Hearts or Hibs.

If it was to happen, we could do a lot worse than consider Maurice Ross as his replacement. Been very impressed by him since he arrived at the club.

6 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

He’s building a reputation as one of the better managers up here so it’s inevitable there is going to be interest. Stats given for points gained by each premiership club from last October until now show Motherwell in 4th place behind only Celtic, Rangers, and Aberdeen, that’s pretty impressive given the budgets of many clubs next to Motherwell. I don’t see him as one of the favourites for either Hearts or Hibs but would anyone be hugely surprised if he ended up at one of the Edinburgh clubs ? Hopefully he stays a good while longer because I worry who we may replace him with.

Hoping he stays a while longer also,  think he is doing an excellent job when you consider he has to rebuild every summer.

Wont be surprised if one of the Edinburgh clubs did make a move.

It's not uncommon that when a support have become disillusioned and vocal about a manager and his style of play that the recruiting club goes for almost the exact opposite in style so as to distance themselves from the previous incumbent and as an attempt to appease. 

Whether he delivered it at Dundee is up for debate but in the mind of Neil McCann and many a sycophantic Scottish football journalist the free-flowing attacking football his sides apparently deliver might not be unattractive to a Hearts board looking for something visibly different to Levein's style. 

22 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Why would anyone take the Hearts job with Levein still lurking about as board member and director of football, questioning every decision.

I didn't even consider that a possibility. Regardless of is he's sacked or leaves by 'mutual consent' I'd think that his credibility as footballing director would be completely undermined. 

That said, now that you mention it, it's such a weird setup they have there that it wouldn't surprise me. 

Of the two I think Robinson would be more likely to consider Hibs given the Dempster connection. He would be crazy to go to Hearts where Director of Football Levein would  oversee every move he made and ensure Robinson carry the can for poor returns or transfer failings. He likes a scapegoat does Craig. Remember how he destroyed Cathro and called his signings not good enough for a team like Hearts, only for it later to come out that Levein had brought many of those signings in against Cathro’s wishes. Robinson needs autonomy and a strong and trusting relationship with his bosses. I’m not sure he would get that under Budge and Levein.

But if Levein was to be sacked entirely after a derby defeat this weekend.............. and Budge acts to placate the fans......

Other than salary and transfer budget it would be a huge risk to go to to either of those clubs given their current problems. Hardly security for life. Better to hold off for a decent English Championship or Division One side where his long term future might a bit more secure and rewarding. 

He’ll stay with us for now. 

On 9/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

I'd be disappointed but not surprised if Robbo ended up at Hearts or Hibs.

If it was to happen, we could do a lot worse than consider Maurice Ross as his replacement. Been very impressed by him since he arrived at the club.

What has Maurice Ross done at Fir Park that makes you say "Been very impressed.........."?

21 hours ago, ECOSSE1991 said:

What has Maurice Ross done at Fir Park that makes you say "Been very impressed.........."?

Listening to him in the interviews, he talks very well and he buys into the football philosophy of the club. He appears to be doing pretty well with the youths / reserves and shows a strength of character that I dont see in others already within the club.

PS. Before this gets picked apart and heads south, I didnt say he should definitely be the manager. I said we could do worse than consider him. Bearing in mind the pool from which we will be choosing, Id rather go for a young hungry manager that we know something about, than one of the usual suspects of scottish football, or a total shot in the dark.

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

If it's an internal promotion Lasley will be the man. He was close to getting it last time. 

I love Las but not sure he is ruthless enough to be a no1. 

I suppose you never really know until the person in question gets the opportunity.

Anyway, here's hoping we dont need to find out in the immediate future.

Usually by the end of September, we can get a good feel for our strongest 11 but I'm struggling this year.  We've yet to see what the likes of Mugabi, Sloth, O'Hara, Manzinga, and to a lesser extent Ilic can do certainly.   Some players may not be 100% fit yet.  

I'm interested to find out what others think of this summer's rebuild.   As always there will be some successes and some failures and thats the nature of things.  My own view is that we haven't quite got the full backs right in terms of back up; and we're badly missing a first pick number 9 striker.  Cole, Long and currently Scott are all what I would term "secondary" strikers who, in normal circumstances, should be vying for 1 place but as its turned out we're picking 2 of the 3.  

Views folks? 

• David locked this topic