2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/18-former-scottish-football-stars-who-remain-free-agents-as-october-approaches-1-5010418

some pretty decent players without clubs, Giles coke and Ross mccormack in there. I wonder if Gary Hooper would be the type of player we would take a look at? proven Goal scorer obviously but I suspect way out our wage bracket? 

Like a few others, I tbink Tait is the best right-back we've had at FP for quite a long time.   I think he suffers however from our playing a back 3 in a 3-2-4-1  or 3-5-2 formation.  Like many managers, Robinson seems fixated on these formations and does not seem to think Tait can fit into either.

I still maintain that on the few occasions that we have played with a more orthodox 4-4-2 formation that we have looked a better and more balanced side and that Tait is more suited to that formation.

However if you are going to employ wide players such as Seedorf et al then you will need cover in the wide midfield areas which is why the two afore-mentioned formations are used as they employ the full-backs to do this.

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/18-former-scottish-football-stars-who-remain-free-agents-as-october-approaches-1-5010418

some pretty decent players without clubs, Giles coke and Ross mccormack in there. I wonder if Gary Hooper would be the type of player we would take a look at? proven Goal scorer obviously but I suspect way out our wage bracket? 

Lets through in a real had grenade - Alan Hutton and Ross Wallace as our two full backs.

Just to see the reaction!

Grimshaw does just fine at right back. It's the left back position where we find ourselves short again with Dunne injured and Carroll suspended.

Apparently Mugabi also played full back at Yeovil from time to time, but that was on the right side. So no help there.

4 hours ago, El Grew said:

Like a few others, I tbink Tait is the best right-back we've had at FP for quite a long time.   I think he suffers however from our playing a back 3 in a 3-2-4-1  or 3-5-2 formation.  Like many managers, Robinson seems fixated on these formations and does not seem to think Tait can fit into either.

Didn't he play more minutes last season than any other player? If so it kinda doesn't make what you say make sense. I understand he was ill/injured as we started our run and Robinson didn't want to change a winning team, that why he's not featured much since.

I love Grimshaw for his endeavour, his fight and the fact he and his father bought into the idea of our club more so than any other player. I also pray that one day a 70 yard mazy run will end up with the ball in the back of the net just to see his reaction. I felt he was lacking at various times in the first half against County, passing was cronic and naive but as the game progressed the started to come together. He's still a wee bit hot and cold in terms of consistency.

3 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

Apropos of nothing, that punt that no premiership outfit was prepared to take on Shankland is looking increasingly like it might have been the wrong call.

Not saying he would not score a few but against better defence's in the premiership he would not be as prolific, for me he's found his level. Oh and Morton are honking.

14 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

Apropos of nothing, that punt that no premiership outfit was prepared to take on Shankland is looking increasingly like it might have been the wrong call.

There are a few players we offloaded that found their level in the Championship, so the jury is still out for me.

Wasn't that long ago Craig Moore scored something like 23 goals in 28 games for Ayr Utd.

10 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

I take your points, chaps, especially the Craig Moore one, and would merely point out that the comment was made before Cole spectacularly missed an open goal from about a yard out.

Aye, Cole is starting to look like he's desperate for a goal. I think Long would have got that one.

Shankland could well be a big success in the Premiership, it's just not a banker.

20 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

It's not just down to rating him - Dundee United paid a hefty fee for him that few clubs could afford or justify. They'll look on it as justified if his goals get them promoted. 

1 hour ago, daver said:

It's not just down to rating him - Dundee United paid a hefty fee for him that few clubs could afford or justify. They'll look on it as justified if his goals get them promoted. 

Plus he is on reportedly £3500 per week. How many sides in the Premiership could pay those wages outside Old firm and Edinburgh / Aberdeen.....

4 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Plus he is on reportedly £3500 per week. How many sides in the Premiership could pay those wages outside Old firm and Edinburgh / Aberdeen.....

He is not a Motherwell player, so who gives a shit what he earns, the fact that none of the premiership teams were remotely interested in him says it all about him. So can we get back to discussing our own players and their performances. 

• David locked this topic