2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

We need to bring in one or two players to improve the squad. The time to do that is when you're doing well not when you're struggling. Finance might dictate that we need to ship out one or two players and one of the goalies might be an option. Both have been offered new terms but neither has accepted as far as I'm aware.   Not sure where Barry Maguire's career goes from here? He's not looked comfortable in midfield. Will Cole's loan deal be extended. From Robbo's early season comments I suspect that we have the cash to bring in a number 9. Elsewhere I feel we need a right back and maybe another defensive midfielder.

All told, I think we'll see some limited movement next month.  

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We need to bring in one or two players to improve the squad. The time to do that is when you're doing well not when you're struggling. Finance might dictate that we need to ship out one or two players and one of the goalies might be an option. Both have been offered new terms but neither has accepted as far as I'm aware.   Not sure where Barry Maguire's career goes from here? He's not looked comfortable in midfield. Will Cole's loan deal be extended. From Robbo's early season comments I suspect that we have the cash to bring in a number 9. Elsewhere I feel we need a right back and maybe another defensive midfielder.

All told, I think we'll see some limited movement next month.  

Maguire is always going to be a centre half for me not being shoehorned into midfield. I would prefer to see him get game time at the back rather than midfield where he’s clearly not comfortable. If that does not happen he either needs to go back out on loan or sadly I can see him being released down the line. I like him and he’s still young but he’s not going to develop out of position.

9 hours ago, ropy said:

Semple  out on loan?

Think a few of the decent prospects should be going out on loan imo and even get some of the younger ones out to lowland sides for experience mixed with playing in the reserves midweek. Maguire should be sent out on loan again sadly as he won’t force his way into this team especially with O’Hara who Robinson likes, Sloth and the return of Turnbull won’t do him good. 

Been doing some digging around national league strikers etc. So far this season Barrow striker Scott Quigley is 27 potential over the age of what we’d look to sign but 12 goals in 16 games at 6ft4 may be an attraction. Another player they have Dior Angus at 25 been kicking around that league for a while kind of, got a move to Port Vale but seems to be a key player for them up front or on the wing, 22 games 6 goals. 

Another lad that came up was Jamie Reid at Torquay, also only 25 so a couple of good years at us and who knows what may happen. 22 games and 14 goals the top scorer in the league. Since signing for them from Exeter he has 97 games and 59 goals. Also played at Northern Ireland at youth level and a success at us could see him back in the fold there. A player that will be known to Robbo I suspect, this one seems to make the most sense. Seen teams like Luton and Huddersfield linked with him but you never know, Marvin Johnson chose us over league 1 and championship sides.

Just thought I’d do some digging as we don’t have a real out and out No.9. Cole isn’t the best finisher and neither is Long however they do bring something to our team with their runs etc. Cole seems better with his head than his feet in front of goal also. Would seem logical to have a striker as our number 1 target, and we do genuinely target National League strikers with potential to improve.

Don't know about players coming in but look out for another highly rated youngster moving on to pastures new.  Kyle Semple... younger brother of Jamie and rated by many as the better prospect of the two...  is drawing serious interest from Rangers, Brighton and Leicester. Not the first time Rangers have tried to lure him.  He'll only turn 16 in February so not a lot we can do if he opts to leave like McKinstry. Fortunately he's been with us for some time so we should receive a decent development fee.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Evening Times:

Stephen Robinson launches striker recruitment drive as Motherwell resign themselves to losing Devante Cole

“It looks like Devante will be going back to Wigan,” Robinson said.

“We are trying to negotiate something but as it stands Devante will be leaving us.

“We need to try and find a replacement for him. I think he would be keen to stay here.

“We have played him on the right a few times, but he just gets on with it. It isn’t his best position as he is better through the middle, but Chris Long has the jersey the last few games.

“He is someone I wanted to keep but ultimately he isn’t our player. If he goes, we will thank him, and he can show over the next three games how good he is.

“We have a few offers in for people. If I bring someone in it has to be someone better than what we have.

“I do think we need to bolster that end of the pitch. Christy Mazinga has tweaked his hamstring and is out again and Chris Long is a doubt for Kilmarnock.”

I think he's come onto a game in recent months. When we signed him he looked unfit/generally very poor. Credit to our coaching staff for getting him up to speed.

Having said that, there will be better options out there. Maybe even our own James Scott.

4 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I am surprised by Wigan want him back from loan, I don’t think I will be that upset if true.

Agree with this. He is a decent option up front but he has not really been all that prolific and on the basis of form so far I would start Scott in any case. So if he goes I wish him well and we can hopefully find a replacement or two up front that would help us maintain top 4/6. 

He has certainly improved so well done to the club for that. However I can’t say I’ve been over impressed with him and personally would probably have preferred not extending the loan anyway. We don’t have a natural goalscorer in the squad this season so hopefully they can come up with someone who will fit the bill.

Like others I wouldn't be overly upset if he left during the window.  He's not been bad but by the same token he's not set the heather alight. Maybe he's the one departure that Robbo talked about? If he leaves we'll need to bring in another striker  - maybe a more traditional number 9?

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

He has certainly improved so well done to the club for that. However I can’t say I’ve been over impressed with him and personally would probably have preferred not extending the loan anyway. We don’t have a natural goalscorer in the squad this season so hopefully they can come up with someone who will fit the bill.

Yea …………Like they grow on trees

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Yea …………Like they grow on trees

Obviously never going to be easy but the scouts have done it before. So we either just accept it’s an impossibility or hope we are able to uncover another gem. I guess my rationale is do we stick with someone we pretty much know will never score a hatful  of goals, or take a punt on someone else who may also not score a hatful of goals, or they just might ?

13 hours ago, Ross said:

Maybe manzinga is the number 9 and Cole was loaned in until January to wait until manzinga got fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, Robbo mentioned this week or last that he had been surprised by how fast Manzinga has come on. I think he was signed as a wildcard with a view to next season if he ever "made it"

Well the transfer window opens in less than a week so what movement do posters think we'll see? Robbo has mentioned one departure and perhaps one or two coming in. Who might leave? Sloth? Cole - almost certainly. A keeper? 

What positions will we look to consolidate or improve? A striker?

We can't discount someone leaving of course and, if that happens we don't want it to be just before the window shuts.

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Well the transfer window opens in less than a week so what movement do posters think we'll see? Robbo has mentioned one departure and perhaps one or two coming in. Who might leave? Sloth? Cole - almost certainly. A keeper? 

What positions will we look to consolidate or improve? A striker?

We can't discount someone leaving of course and, if that happens we don't want it to be just before the window shuts.

Sloth, Cole, maybe Carson. I would hope we see a striker coming in.

• David locked this topic