2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

17 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

We seem awfully unbalanced up front so hopefully that gets taken care of. I struggled to see what the plan was for up front at the start of the season and I'm no clearer now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We are pushing for Europe so it seems to be working.

• Like 2

Today's BBC gossip

Livingston are keen to hold pre-contract talks with Motherwell's Trevor Carson in January, with the 31-year-old Northern Ireland goalkeeper out of contract in the summer and also attracting interest from Aberdeen, but current Fir Park number one Mark Gillespie is also out of contract and is stalling over a new deal. (Daily Record)

Today's BBC gossip

Livingston are keen to hold pre-contract talks with Motherwell's Trevor Carson in January, with the 31-year-old Northern Ireland goalkeeper out of contract in the summer and also attracting interest from Aberdeen, but current Fir Park number one Mark Gillespie is also out of contract and is stalling over a new deal. (Daily Record)

You’d think Carson could get a better offer than livi even with his illness he had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I assume Livingston have already informed us about this as they have high moral standards about such negotiations as  we already know. :spiteful:

On  a more serious note I thought that we'd already offered both keepers deals and were awaiting their responses. We need to get one signed up fairly smartly.

We know there were a lot of deals for strikers that fell through so it's no surprise that we ended up in a weird position with them.

I assume Cole is going back to Wigan so we really need a striker that  can be the hold up and link man. A back to goal striker to play in the middle. Long  can do a good job but he cant do that job. Scott is developing there but we need another option. A Curtis Main type basically.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50928528

Motherwell: Fir Park club 'quite close' to signing new striker - Stephen Robinson

Sharethis page
Devante Cole scores for Motherwell against Rangers
One of Devante Cole's four Motherwell goals came in defeat by Rangers at Ibrox

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson feels he is "quite close" to securing a new striker to replace the departing Devante Cole.

Cole, who missed the Boxing Day win over Ross County through illness, is set to return to Wigan Athletic following the end of his loan spell.

The Englishman has scored four goals in 21 games for the Fir Park side.

"We are down the road already with trying to get somebody in," Robinson said.

"We don't have masses of money to spend and buy three or four players. We still have players to come back in the squad - Charles Dunne, David Turnbull, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, who has been on-and-off injured.

"But we have to try and bring a striker in and we are quite close to doing that."

Robinson is also working on his goalkeeper situation, with both Mark Gillespie and Trevor Carson out of contract in the summer.

Livingston and Aberdeen have been linked with pre-contract moves for Carson, who has been unable to regain his place since returning in the summer from a long spell out with deep vein thrombosis.

"We have offered both contracts and they have been on the table since the summer," Robinson said. "I am desperate to get at least one guaranteed to be here for next season. Negotiations are ongoing.

"It's frustrating for the one who is not playing, I totally understand that. And I am not surprised that either would be linked with other clubs because they are top, top goalkeepers."

Motherwell host Lanarkshire rivals Hamilton Academical on Sunday looking to ensure they finish 2019 in third place in the Scottish Premiership.

Accies sit three points off the bottom and Robinson's men are aiming to stay ahead of Aberdeen and maintain their healthy lead over the teams below.

"We have to weather the storm," he said. "It will be 100 miles an hour as all derbies are.

"I have watched Accies quite a few times, they have some very good footballers. Their position doesn't really relay how they have been playing, their performances have been decent.

"Ultimately, it will be down to who manages the game best, not to get caught up in the emotion of it and we make sure we play our game and play with a coolness and calmness about us as we have done in recent weeks."

The fact that a deal has been on the table since the summer for Gillespie and remains unsigned is slightly worrying. Maybe he's waiting to see what his options are? It would be a bit of a disaster if we went from having two first-choice level keepers to none.

4 minutes ago, David said:

The fact that a deal has been on the table since the summer for Gillespie and remains unsigned is slightly worrying. Maybe he's waiting to see what his options are? It would be a bit of a disaster if we went from having two first-choice level keepers to none.

Perfectly possible given they would both walk in to many teams. I can see them both getting better deals elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50928528

Motherwell: Fir Park club 'quite close' to signing new striker - Stephen Robinson

Sharethis page
Devante Cole scores for Motherwell against Rangers
One of Devante Cole's four Motherwell goals came in defeat by Rangers at Ibrox

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson feels he is "quite close" to securing a new striker to replace the departing Devante Cole.

Cole, who missed the Boxing Day win over Ross County through illness, is set to return to Wigan Athletic following the end of his loan spell.

The Englishman has scored four goals in 21 games for the Fir Park side.

"We are down the road already with trying to get somebody in," Robinson said.

"We don't have masses of money to spend and buy three or four players. We still have players to come back in the squad - Charles Dunne, David Turnbull, Christian Ilic, Christy Manzinga, who has been on-and-off injured.

"But we have to try and bring a striker in and we are quite close to doing that."

Robinson is also working on his goalkeeper situation, with both Mark Gillespie and Trevor Carson out of contract in the summer.

Livingston and Aberdeen have been linked with pre-contract moves for Carson, who has been unable to regain his place since returning in the summer from a long spell out with deep vein thrombosis.

"We have offered both contracts and they have been on the table since the summer," Robinson said. "I am desperate to get at least one guaranteed to be here for next season. Negotiations are ongoing.

"It's frustrating for the one who is not playing, I totally understand that. And I am not surprised that either would be linked with other clubs because they are top, top goalkeepers."

Motherwell host Lanarkshire rivals Hamilton Academical on Sunday looking to ensure they finish 2019 in third place in the Scottish Premiership.

Accies sit three points off the bottom and Robinson's men are aiming to stay ahead of Aberdeen and maintain their healthy lead over the teams below.

"We have to weather the storm," he said. "It will be 100 miles an hour as all derbies are.

"I have watched Accies quite a few times, they have some very good footballers. Their position doesn't really relay how they have been playing, their performances have been decent.

"Ultimately, it will be down to who manages the game best, not to get caught up in the emotion of it and we make sure we play our game and play with a coolness and calmness about us as we have done in recent weeks."

My guess is Kyle lafferty on a 6month contract

4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If we lose both Carson and Gillespie for nowt it's a farce,  brings back memories of Randolph who we signed on 3yr deal and lost him for nowt

If we lose both it may be a farce, but not one of our making. The transfer market for goalkeepers seems to be very different from other positions. Verges clubs seem to be prepared to offer even half decent money for them. Both Carson and Gillespie have been made offers which is all we can do. If they are offered more elsewhere, and take it, then good luck to them. Having said that, I rate both of them highly and would be more than delighted if either were to sign on for a longer stay at Fir Park.

Just now, The African said:

If we lose both it may be a farce, but not one of our making. The transfer market for goalkeepers seems to be very different from other positions. Verges clubs seem to be prepared to offer even half decent money for them. Both Carson and Gillespie have been made offers which is all we can do. If they are offered more elsewhere, and take it, then good luck to them. Having said that, I rate both of them highly and would be more than delighted if either were to sign on for a longer stay at Fir Park.

Very true. The club tried very hard to find a buyer for Randolph but no English club would pay a fee for him. I was told at the time by a club official that this was because "Good keepers are ten a penny in England."

54 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Very true. The club tried very hard to find a buyer for Randolph but no English club would pay a fee for him. I was told at the time by a club official that this was because "Good keepers are ten a penny in England."

I think that is probably true - which is why, although I'd hate to see both Carson and Gillespie leave, I'd be confident we could pick up a decent replacement from down south. Carson, Randolph and Ruddy (and even George Long) are good advertisements for how we can boost a career.

I certainly wouldn't blame the club if they both leave. We offered them new deals in the summer - we still haven't found a way to force people to sign against their will.

11 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Before my time but possibly another Ross Mc type risk ?

No because Ross McCormack has always struggled with weight and alcohol issues and Jamie on the other hand is a model pro. 

On the issue of Randolph Charlton and Birmingham also lost him for free. It's very difficult to sell keepers. 

• David locked this topic