2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Jonte Smith from Cheltenham rumoured. But Bolton also interested. A Bermudian international.

We like to sign players who play for Caribbean countries. 

It would fit our often used recruitment process so would not be surprised.

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27261

I think today proved that we need at least two strikers to add some firepower and physicality up front, given that Cole is moving on.  We also need some more defensive prowess in midfield, preferably someone with height and presence given Robbo's comment.

On the assumption that only Cole moves on then I'd say we need a 2 strikers a combative defensive midfield player. 

With Donnelly and Turnbull set to return in the second half, I’d be surprised if we signed a midfielder.  Although, if sloth goes it would open up a spot there. How do we look in midfield in the reserves? Are semple or Cornelius close?

Defensively we have Dunne on the way back, so we should be fine there too. 

We definitely need a striker that offers something different, and hopefully not another “can play wide or up front” type, as we have plenty of them. Someone who can keep the defenders occupied and bring our wingers into the game. 

9 hours ago, fizoxy said:

With Donnelly and Turnbull set to return in the second half, I’d be surprised if we signed a midfielder.  Although, if sloth goes it would open up a spot there. How do we look in midfield in the reserves? Are semple or Cornelius close?

We definitely need a striker that offers something different, and hopefully not another “can play wide or up front” type, as we have plenty of them. Someone who can keep the defenders occupied and bring our wingers into the game. 

Is Luis Moult available.

9 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Semple is one of the young players ahead of Sloth going by the managers’ recent AGM address. I suspect Cornelius is more in the club thoughts also.

Both only 18 years, they won’t be introduced together.

16 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Turnbull can't really be expected to do much for us this season given his injury lay off and lack of fitness and in my opinion Maguire should be ahead of Semple or Cornelius if there is a midfield spot in the team.

If we are bringing someone in we need a midfielder that is comfortable on the ball, has a bit of vision and grafts.  Tough ask but its what is needed.

We could also do with a target man style forward because Scott is better coming in from wide areas and Long can't hold the ball up. The right back area is a position that needs improve but perhaps isn't as pressing as the other areas mentioned right at this moment.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Turnbull can't really be expected to do much for us this season given his injury lay off and lack of fitness and in my opinion Maguire should be ahead of Semple or Cornelius if there is a midfield spot in the team.

If we are bringing someone in we need a midfielder that is comfortable on the ball, has a bit of vision and grafts.  Tough ask but its what is needed.

We could also do with a target man style forward because Scott is better coming in from wide areas and Long can't hold the ball up. The right back area is a position that needs improve but perhaps isn't as pressing as the other areas mentioned right at this moment.

I’m not a fan of McGuire in midfield, he’s a centre half for me, we need another midfielder for sure. Agree regarding Long, his biggest weakness is his ability, or lack of to hold the ball up and also that Scott is not ready to play centrally. I’m really hoping we sign a genuine central striker in the Moult mould.

59 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I’m not a fan of McGuire in midfield, he’s a centre half for me, we need another midfielder for sure. Agree regarding Long, his biggest weakness is his ability, or lack of to hold the ball up and also that Scott is not ready to play centrally. I’m really hoping we sign a genuine central striker in the Moult mould.

Pretty much agree with that. McGuire's limited stints in midfield have not been successful and I too see him only as a central defender but I don't know where he fits into that pecking order. I don't think that Long was ever seen as a target man that's just not his game as we saw yesterday. We need 2 out and out strikers and a defensive central midfielder.

1 hour ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Sloth actively looking to get a loan or permanent move away.  Rumours also neither of our goalkeepers are resigning (and as such the club  have made an offer for another)

Lets hope Sloth gets his wish. One way or another he does not seem a good fit. The concern is who would take him based on doing SFA with us. 

As for the goalie situation. It is weird in many ways how things have come about. Carson proved himself an excellent keeper and but for bad luck he would still be our number one. Gillespie comes in and guess what he is as good as Carson possibly better - who knew.  Carson also denied (rightly in my opinion) a life changing move (Earnings wise) to Celtic. He may not fancy staying on but my feeling is that if Gillespie has no intention of signing an extension he should make that clear and we could see if Carson is interested. This has probably happened. All that said we have had an excellent track record recently of signing good goalies. Hopefully that continues. 

9 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Lets hope Sloth gets his wish. One way or another he does not seem a good fit. The concern is who would take him based on doing SFA with us. 

As for the goalie situation. It is weird in many ways how things have come about. Carson proved himself an excellent keeper and but for bad luck he would still be our number one. Gillespie comes in and guess what he is as good as Carson possibly better - who knew.  Carson also denied (rightly in my opinion) a life changing move (Earnings wise) to Celtic. He may not fancy staying on but my feeling is that if Gillespie has no intention of signing an extension he should make that clear and we could see if Carson is interested. This has probably happened. All that said we have had an excellent track record recently of signing good goalies. Hopefully that continues. 

I can’t see why Carson would want to consider Livi if he was first choice with us again so yes that’s the route I would be going down.

8 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

That opinion counts for little, it’s always been the case, the evidence is there.

All 3 are very different players.

• Like 1

Not that I'm in any way demanding we unveil raft of signings at a minute past midnight  but I did notice a couple of re-tweets from the SPFL twitter account about signings, one of which was one-time target of ours Ryan Stevenson signing for Stranraer. May have been out of contract of course.

As said on the former players thread Ben Heneghan looks to be on the move after a decent start to the season with Blackpool again. A lot of championship clubs interested in him so that’ll be sure to bring in some unexpected money from our sell-on clause, may not amount to much depending on our sell-on but it will go a long way for a club like us even if it’s 50k+ that we get.

Goalkeeper situation is a weird one, both have had contracts on the table for a while now. Gillespie is always going on about how he loves it here but to be fair I am sure he will have some very good offers on the table that would blow ours out the water. could definitely make a career for himself in the championship and you can't grudge him that.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:53 PM, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Sloth actively looking to get a loan or permanent move away.  Rumours also neither of our goalkeepers are resigning (and as such the club  have made an offer for another)

Sloth is a weird one, I wonder why it hasn't worked out with him. From social media it appears that he has a good rapport with others in the squad, wondering if there's something between him and Robinson...

It's not impossible that there's more to it, but our midfield has been fairly settled and the team is doing well, so it's up to Sloth to force his way into the team. Robinson hasn't tended to rotate players to give them games in the past, and the 4-3-3 is working so far.  When the team is doing well and there are few injuries some folk are just going to be out of luck. 

We had the same with Hartley last year, and soon one of him and Dunne are going to be the odd one out.  

• David locked this topic