2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

23 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

It's not impossible that there's more to it, but our midfield has been fairly settled and the team is doing well, so it's up to Sloth to force his way into the team. Robinson hasn't tended to rotate players to give them games in the past, and the 4-3-3 is working so far.  When the team is doing well and there are few injuries some folk are just going to be out of luck. 

We had the same with Hartley last year, and soon one of him and Dunne are going to be the odd one out.  

I'm not so sure that's true with regards to rotation; the front 3 have been rotated a fair bit and Mugabi/Hartley and Tait/Grimshaw have a bit.

I've mentioned it a few times but I'm still baffled he didn't get sent out once for a wee jog on Boxing Day. It was as if there was no chance he would get on. I had a wee look on his Instagram a month or two back and he's replying to fans asking why he's not playing saying he doesn't know and that he's fit and ready. Something clearly not right but I imagine he's on a few bucks so hopefully get him out the door asap, best for all involved.

From Robinson's comments, it sounds like he expects more from Sloth.

From Sloth's comments, it sounds like he thinks he is doing enough to be getting a game.

Seems like one of those situations where it's best for both parties if he moves on.

James Scott trailed by Bristol City as Motherwell braced for English interest

• BY SCOTT BURNS
  • UPDATED
0_19713301.jpg
(Image: SNS Group)

Bristol City are on the trail of Motherwell star James Scott.

The Championship outfit have been monitoring the Scotland under-21 cap for the past year but have stepped things up over the last six weeks.

The big striker is tipped for big things and City boss Lee Johnson believes he could be a real asset to his side.

It all depends if on Motherwell’s valuation and if Johnson is prepared to meet it.

Johnson has money to spend in January and although he wants to strengthen his first-team he is also looking to add value to his squad going forward.

The 19-year-old has already netted seven goals in all competitions this season and has only recently cemented his place as one of Stephen Robinson ’s main strikers.

It all depends if the Robins can agree a deal with the Steelmen, where he still has two years left on his Fir Park deal.

Motherwell, however, have never been a club to stand in the way of their top talent and if the price is right then they will clear, although any deal would need to include future add-ons.

2 hours ago, Well-Made said:

Would be better staying and getting more first team football under his belt before he moves on. Wouldnt benefit him or the club to move too early. I cant see Bristol City throwing silly money at us either. More likely buying him as a development player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Scott is not ready in my view and would struggle down south the same way Hastie has,  not a good move for anyone at this point.

Don t think it's as clear cut as that sometimes  a move to a bigger club , better players around him etc  is just what a player needs, not to mention the financial  benefits, so as always it will be down to the player if he wants to go if the offer is there.

Would be interesting to see how a championship club would plan to do develop Scott.  Clearly has the potential to be a player of serious value in a few years. I think he’d be better getting regular appearances with us. 

I’m expecting/hoping we’ll have a new look front three for the remainder of the season. Otherwise think we’re well covered. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Don t think it's as clear cut as that sometimes  a move to a bigger club , better players around him etc  is just what a player needs, not to mention the financial  benefits, so as always it will be down to the player if he wants to go if the offer is there.

The big risk for Scott would be he would never get near the first team and just go backwards, he’s an absolute mile away from championship level down south. He does need to balance out the initial financial benefit to himself but he’s young and long term I feel he would end up losing out. Hastie obviously hit the financial jackpot short term but again when looking at his career over the next ten years time will tell. There are always the unknowns such as a career changing injury and I get that but many moves don't end up been the smart option.

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

If Scott leaves, we'll need to bring in at least two forwards. Add to that potentially a replacement for Sloth should he leave, it could be a busier January than anticipated...

I would still love Sloth to prove himself in the second half of the season but if he leaves what exactly would we be replacing?  Air miles collector?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We would need to sign a handsome bastard as a replacement. Over the years we've always had one. Simon Ramsden, John Sutton, John Sutton again. If Sloth goes I just don't see anyone in our current squad able to fill that role. 

• Like 3

We would need to sign a handsome bastard as a replacement. Over the years we've always had one. Simon Ramsden, John Sutton, John Sutton again. If Sloth goes I just don't see anyone in our current squad able to fill that role. 

Not to forget Keith lasley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

The big risk for Scott would be he would never get near the first team and just go backwards, he’s an absolute mile away from championship level down south. He does need to balance out the initial financial benefit to himself but he’s young and long term I feel he would end up losing out. Hastie obviously hit the financial jackpot short term but again when looking at his career over the next ten years time will tell. There are always the unknowns such as a career changing injury and I get that but many moves don't end up been the smart option.

So Hastie hit the financial jackpot getting 4 or 5 grand a week on a free transfet tp Rangers, but Scott would lose out with a championship move? Doesnt make any sense at all! If a Championship team pays a million or so for Scott, 5 grand a week is the minimum he would get, plus he would be on to a handsome signing fee.

I agree long term it may harm both, but of the two, even if its only a 3 or 4 year contract, Scott has the potential to really set himself up with a move to Bristol of such like

14 minutes ago, Shaka said:

So Hastie hit the financial jackpot getting 4 or 5 grand a week on a free transfet tp Rangers, but Scott would lose out with a championship move? Doesnt make any sense at all! If a Championship team pays a million or so for Scott, 5 grand a week is the minimum he would get, plus he would be on to a handsome signing fee.

I agree long term it may harm both, but of the two, even if its only a 3 or 4 year contract, Scott has the potential to really set himself up with a move to Bristol of such like

No I think Scott would also be on a lucrative contract at Bristol City.

If money is your only goal then moving to the Championship is a no brainer. However, Lee Erwin is a great example of a boy that went too early and didnt develop as he might have.  Get first team games under your belt and move as a first team pick. The money will always follow.

• Like 2

At the AGM Robinson was very candid about players' attitude. He said that their loyalty was to themselves. Every player was striving to improve and perform, to further their own career and as a consequence MFC benefitted but all players were thinking of their own career. As fans we have to remember that football is their job.

James Scott will do what he thinks is best for him. No doubt he will have people advising him and for his sake I hope he makes the correct decision.

1 hour ago, sinjy said:

At the AGM Robinson was very candid about players' attitude. He said that their loyalty was to themselves. Every player was striving to improve and perform, to further their own career and as a consequence MFC benefitted but all players were thinking of their own career. As fans we have to remember that football is their job.

James Scott will do what he thinks is best for him. No doubt he will have people advising him and for his sake I hope he makes the correct decision.

I have absolutely no issue with players doing whats best for themselves. We would all do the same. But sometimes being patient and not taking the first offer that comes your way can be more fruitful in the longer term. Look at John McGinn or even Andy Robertson. Moved to clubs in Scotland where they could develop and would get guaranteed first team games. Within 2-3 seasons they were in the Premiership earning megabucks. By all accounts James has the talent. It would be fantastic if he could develop and emulate those names.

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

If money is your only goal then moving to the Championship is a no brainer. However, Lee Erwin is a great example of a boy that went too early and didnt develop as he might have.  Get first team games under your belt and move as a first team pick. The money will always follow.

Aye, Lee Erwin was who sprung to mind when I read the Bristol City story. There aren't many 'Well players who have left us as youngsters and gone on to bigger and better things (Turnbull is the only one I can think of that might break that mould when he goes).

I understand the attraction of a quick payday - especially when you are that age - but it needs to be balanced against career development.

Personally, I don't think Scott is ready for a move yet, but given he's under contract until May 2022, at least the ball is firmly in our court when it comes to transfer fees.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic