2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

9 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not overly excited by that 

Not a huge fan of bringing in loan players who are young/yet to prove themselves as weve plenty of our own in the same bracket probably. I prefer loan players to be folk who can hit the ground running.

However, right in our sweet spot. Young (21), been out on a couple of loans (Killie, Gillingham) , never really setting the heather on fire but has pace and some obvious talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

As I undersand it, we had sufficient cash to bring in a striker last summer, if the right man became available. Given that we didn't and we're now several months further on surely that "reserved" sum will have grown slightly?  

Potentially, or potentially some put towards Long’s new contract if he’s deemed to be a more long-term option. 

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

Potentially, or potentially some put towards Long’s new contract if he’s deemed to be a more long-term option. 

What about the 50% of coles wage that we were paying (around 2k approx) that’s based on playing for Wigan maybe 4/5k a week. I’m sure that’ll be now going towards Long. Should definitely be able to bring in a striker imo we should have more than enough given how much we received over the summer. We should maybe adjust our budget this year minimally to what a top 6 team would be if possible which should allow us to solidify at least that 4th spot but I believe we are capable of 3rd. We have a very good squad but 3 or 4 new fresh faces to freshen up the squad won’t do much harm. 

33 minutes ago, supermarv said:

We should maybe adjust our budget this year minimally to what a top 6 team would be if possible which should allow us to solidify at least that 4th spot but I believe we are capable of 3rd. We have a very good squad but 3 or 4 new fresh faces to freshen up the squad won’t do much harm. 

By all accounts we have already adjusted more than minimally simply to avoid standing still.  With the best will in the world I cannot foresee that budget being upped to match spending levels of perceived top six teams. The leap between our existing budget and that level would by no means be considered minimal.

Having just watched the recent video from Robbo it suggests to me nobody will be leaving the club... Look forward to see what Ilic, Manzinga and Sloth can do in the second half of the season. Should still be looking to strengthen with a few fresh faces but nothing major. I expect there to be outgoings possibly Gillespie but anything other than that is unexpected except loans for youngsters like Devine, Cornelius, Semple and Maguire and more of course. 

13 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

SR indicating there might not be any new players arriving this window!!

Would be disappointed if that was the case we need an experienced goal scorer up top if we are going to kick on and secure a top 4 finish and a European  return. 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

SR indicating there might not be any new players arriving this window!!

Time will tell as they say. We've heard this line before as Robbo doesn't like to broadcast his intentions to rivals.

We are very short up front and James Scott is not ready to play through the middle yet. If we are serious about retaining 4th place, never mind securing 3rd we have, as Spiderpig points out, got to strengthen our striking department.

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Time will tell as they say. We've heard this line before as Robbo doesn't like to broadcast his intentions to rivals.

We are very short up front and James Scott is not ready to play through the middle yet. If we are serious about retaining 4th place, never mind securing 3rd we have, as Spiderpig points out, got to strengthen our striking department.

Just putting this out there, but what if Robinson has done some scouting about and the players he wants don’t want to come to Motherwell and the ones who do are not good enough?

Also this squad over the last year is the third best team in the land and that includes 6 months without our best player.  

• Like 1

There are always players on our (and every club's) radar. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don't get resolved until a later window, sometimes they fall through.

The one consistent thing, however, is to never believe any manger when they talk about who they are or aren't signing!

A lot depends on who is ready to come back from injury and whether there is anyone available (that we can afford) that can make us better. We all agree that an actual center forward would be nice, but we’re probably not the only team trying to find one. 

lafferty will have to wait until the next window, since he signed for Sunderland. 

If he has gone to Sunderland, then it looks like Laverton was not really a n option, budget wise, for us.

I tend to think that, longer term, using the second half of the season to give some of our youngsters an opportunity might be the way to go. We are safe for this season, so why spend money we don't really have n the type of player available at his stage of a season, when we could bring in young talent that would benefit from the experience of coming into a confident and, currently, winning environment. We always seem to hear that young players are not ready forthe step up, but at least we could give them a chance in an atmosphere where they are free to play their own game without a poor performance having too dire consequences. Show a little faith and who knows what we might achieve?

Three Championship teams apparently after Declan Gallagher

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/declan-gallagher-transfer-battle-swansea-21261703

Declan Gallagher transfer battle as Swansea, Wigan and Bristol City chase Motherwell star

The Scotland defender's impressive performances are now attracting attention from clubs in England’s second tier.

• 23:14, 11 JAN 2020
0_JS192737597.jpg(Image: SNS)
Subscribe
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see ourPrivacy Noticefor details of your data protection rights

Scotland defender Declan Gallagher is being chased by a clutch of English Championship clubs.

MailSport understands that Swansea City, Wigan and Bristol City are all weighing up a move for the Motherwell centre-back.

ADVERTISING

Gallagher, who joined Well last summer, enjoyed a brilliant debut season with the Steelmen.

And in October, he earned his first Scotland call-up from gaffer Steve Clarke.

The 28-year-old made his international bow the following month in a victory over Cyprus and has kicked on since.

0_JS198891727.jpg
(Image: Daily Record - Tony Nicoletti)

Gallagher’s impressive performances are now attracting attention from clubs in England’s second tier.

1:081:29

Rangers end long drought at Celtic Park

While League One outfits Charlton and Peterborough United have also had the centre-back watched.

With 18 months left on his Motherwell contract, it’s understood the Fir Park club would be looking for a fee of around £500,000 for one of their prized assets.

But gaffer Stephen Robinson is desperate to fend off interest in Gallagher and keep him in Lanarkshire - as they fight for a Europa League spot this season.

5 hours ago, The African said:

If he has gone to Sunderland, then it looks like Laverton was not really a n option, budget wise, for us.

I tend to think that, longer term, using the second half of the season to give some of our youngsters an opportunity might be the way to go. We are safe for this season, so why spend money we don't really have n the type of player available at his stage of a season, when we could bring in young talent that would benefit from the experience of coming into a confident and, currently, winning environment. We always seem to hear that young players are not ready forthe step up, but at least we could give them a chance in an atmosphere where they are free to play their own game without a poor performance having too dire consequences. Show a little faith and who knows what we might achieve?

Highly doubt this will happen this season as maybe we are pushing to get a European spot and have capped internationals like Sloth who can’t even get a game. IMO we add some quality to the team 3 or 4 fresh faces. 1 being a striker and the other a winger and 2 others depending on injuries and outgoings. Send some of the younger lads out on loan for experience ones like Semple, Devine and Cornelius. 

It was easy to do last season with young players as we were very very poor and basically had nothing to play for. This is a massive season for us. At this stage only really MacIver seems the likely candidate to work his way into the team as players in his position have been pretty hot and cold regarding form. 

14 hours ago, The African said:

Not much wrong with that sentiment in theory but I don't think we have any up and coming strikers in the youth ranks. others may know different, as I don't get to watch the youngsters.  Jamie Semple was a striker now converted to midfield, but I wouldn't have thought he'd fit the bill for the vacant role. 

As far as Declan Gallagher is concerned this media rumour won't surprise any of us. At 28 he's due a chance to better himself but maybe not this window and certainly not at £500K. If that is indeed the figure we're looking for then we're seriously underselling ourselves.

• Like 1

Be disappointed to see Gallacher go but if Dunne is fit I think we'd be well enough served. Hartley and Dunne is a good SPL centre back pairing. We'd lose out on some quality distribution wise but its a solid pairing with Mugabe as back up. If the club can get 750k it will be a great bit of business.

A quality striking option that can hold the ball up is what we need, if we can bring that in then it's a very exciting end to the season. 

If we are serious about fighting for 3rd, we shouldn't be letting Gallagher go until the summer.  And if I was Gallagher I'd be giving Wigan a wide berth (as tempting as a Kipré / Gallagher pairing would be). Watched them a few times this season and they have been very poor and already in another relegation battle.

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not much wrong with that sentiment in theory but I don't think we have any up and coming strikers in the youth ranks. others may know different, as I don't get to watch the youngsters. . Jamie Semple was a striker now converted to midfield, but I wouldn't have thought he'd fit the bill for the vacant role. 

As far as Declan Gallagher is concerned this media rumour won't surprise any of us. At 28 he's due a chance to better himself but maybe not this window and certainly not at £500K. If that is indeed the figure we're looking for then we're seriosuly underselling ourselves.

Exactly. He is worth way more than that and we need to keep him for the rest of this season. Only to be expected that he would be a target. 

• David locked this topic