2019-20 Rebuild

Kmcalpin

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

I think everyone would agree with that statement 

But can anyone name a player like that who would be within our budget ????

Only asking cause I’m sure the back room staff are looking for said person 

Lee Erwin :P

15 hours ago, weeyin said:

Like Robinson said in his podcast, the first thing he looks for in a new signing is pace - because you can coach the other parts of the game, but you can't coach speed.

He might not improve, but he was certainly worth the punt we took. If nothing else, his pace gives the opposition something to think about even when he's not doing anything. He certainly hasn't improved the way Hylton has, but Hylton had 150+ first team games under his belt before he joined so was less of a gamble.

He'd never have signed Davie Cooper then .

i saw erwin on highlights at wknd and he has lost weight and whilst didnt score i thought he looked gd.  i would like to see him back as he was imo destined for great things before going to leeds and then thinking he had made it and acting and looking like an idiot. Hes still only just turned 25 and id imagine still has lots of pals at fp and obviously family in local area. might work might not but is he any greater risk than who we normally go for?

5 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Re Seedorf. I actually think putting him out on loan to a Championship team would be the best thing for him right now. He needs to go and get first team games out of the spotlight and give us a chance to see whether he can develop or not. Difficulty with that is it might dent his confidence furrher and you are handing his development over to someone else. We would need to choose wisely and see if that team were interested.

If a Championship club were willing to pick up his wages then I'd be all over that idea. He's contracted to us until May next year, so even if he did okay-ish in the Championship between now and January I'd be happy enough to let him go there permanently in the summer for next to nothing just to get him off our wage bill.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Youd think theres someone kicking about the Championship or even league 1 down south who isn't getting a game who could come in for 6 months to do that. Someone like Devante Cole would do....

I do think it's the only place we don't have an option that can do a job. Everywhere else I'm really happy with the squad, maybe argue it's a bit bloated.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Seedorf is a big part of our first team squad, I doubt he's going anywhere

I actually think it'd be a great idea to loan out one of the two first team options we have in that position, especially when the guy currently starting ahead of him looks shattered after an hour most weeks.

Seedorf was pretty good in flashes earlier in the season.

Those flashes have been rarer as the seasons gone in, but then he invariably gets brought on with 20-25 minutes to go.

It is hard to consistently make an impact in those circumstances. Saturday was a chance for him which he didn’t take.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, wellwell91 said:

I saw Jamie Reid of Torquay score his 17th league goal of the season on Saturday. Strong physical forward and excellent at holding up the ball and bringing players into the game. 25 years old and capped by Northern Ireland at Under 21 level. His recent goal record has probably put him on loads of teams radars. 

• Like 1

Just now, brainier said:

I saw Jamie Reid of Torquay score his 17th league goal of the season on Saturday. Strong physical forward and excellent at holding up the ball and bringing players into the game. 

You must like dirty hammer throwers too Geoff.

41 minutes ago, brainier said:

I saw Jamie Reid of Torquay score his 17th league goal of the season on Saturday. Strong physical forward and excellent at holding up the ball and bringing players into the game. 25 years old and capped by Northern Ireland at Under 21 level. His recent goal record has probably put him on loads of teams radars. 

Mentioned him ages ago on here a while ago seems a very appealing player for us to sign and sell on. But with the goals he’s scored clubs with more money than us will be offering him a contract.

32 minutes ago, brainier said:

There is a huge step up in ability  required from Scoring lots of goals against national league standard defences and repeating it against teams in the Scottish  premiership. 

Bringing in layers like that is a big Gamble,  some pay off and they step up and do well, ie Moult, Johnson, and in my opinion Hylton but for every success there are 2 or 3 failures.

If we are going to bring someone in this window he needs to hit the ground running and get among the goals as we have given ourselves a great platform  so far to kick on and secure a top 4 finish and a return to Europe.

From my point of view any striker who’s caught the eye on Robbo and has scored goals in the national league would be worth a punt on a reasonable low fee. Under the age of 26 and get him on an 18 month contract with the view of another year. He has a good season or 2 and he’s attracting big clubs down south and easy money.

Another that did stick out for me was Courtney Duffus only 24 ex Everton youngster with 13 goals for Yeovil. 6 ft 2, ex ROI u21 and will also know Long...

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

There is a huge step up in ability  required from Scoring lots of goals against national league standard defences and repeating it against teams in the Scottish  premiership. 

Bringing in layers like that is a big Gamble,  some pay off and they step up and do well, ie Moult, Johnson, and in my opinion Hylton but for every success there are 2 or 3 failures.

If we are going to bring someone in this window he needs to hit the ground running and get among the goals as we have given ourselves a great platform  so far to kick on and secure a top 4 finish and a return to Europe.

Is that assuming Celtic or rangers win the cup? 

Hindsight and wishful thinking but Lawrence Shankland would have been a worthy addition in the summer. Not only for his goals tally but Dundee Utd look on course to make a nice wee bit of profit going on the hack chatter.

I don't think he would have scored as many as he has so far due to the league being a step up, but I do think he'd be on course to be in Higgy territory. Too many on here were too keen to come out the with the cliched "He's a Championship player at best", "he'll be out his depth and will get found out soon enough", and "he can't do it for us" almost taking glee in our perceived superiority.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Scotsman reporting that Celtic are interested in Donnelly and "could make a move" before the end of the transfer window.

As much as I think Donnelly is underrated by a good few I don’t see any legs in that story.

5 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Hindsight and wishful thinking but Lawrence Shankland would have been a worthy addition in the summer.

Utd will be paying him 2 or 3 times what we could offer. They are piling cash into that team in a desperate effort to get promotion (which is starting to work).

• David locked this topic